Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Curious if anyone else uses the Shortboxed App....14056

Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
@shortboxed I can see what you were trying to do with open offers until a seller accepts, but that concept was never made clear, so it's confusing for sellers. I much prefer the change you're making so that an accepted offer is a binding transaction.

Any thoughts on creating an auction feature or hosting a monthly auction like ComicLink, ComicConnect, et al?
Post 76 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmanick
...all the books I've seen are listed way over FMV as opposed to... fee bay...

LOL
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector shortboxed private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I downloaded the app last month and have checked out the books but when I submit an offer I never heard and it feels like all the books I've seen are listed way over FMV as opposed to the cgc boards , fee bay and mercari.

Hey thanks for checking out the app! As you know, Shortboxed is an open market and we do not dictate prices for sellers, they are free to price however they want. With over 10k slabs currently listed for sale, there are books that are over FMV, but there are also a lot that are under, and those tend to sell very fast - sometimes within minutes of being listed. However, we do find that the majority of books are listed within a fair range of FMV. Fairly priced keys sell VERY quickly and don't even get noticed by a lot of people. But yes, admittedly there are some books that are ridiculously overpriced which is definitely something we as collectors see on every single marketplace.

We're building some new features to address this, including adding some pricing data to better inform not just potential buyers, but also sellers when they submit their books for sale. We've even considered blocking any books that are listed over "X% above FMV" (i.e. 100% over FMV) but at the end of the day, sellers are free to price however they want and obviously those books sit idle.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
@shortboxed I can see what you were trying to do with open offers until a seller accepts, but that concept was never made clear, so it's confusing for sellers. I much prefer the change you're making so that an accepted offer is a binding transaction.

Any thoughts on creating an auction feature or hosting a monthly auction like ComicLink, ComicConnect, et al?

It's something quite a few folks have asked about, but right now we're laser focused on building out our core feature set. There are still a lot of features and improvements we need to make for both buyers and sellers. Some of the most important areas we're focused on right now are: adding more payment methods, faster seller payouts, more data and tools for sellers, and improving the overall user experience with UI enhancements, improved policies (like the change we're making to offers), and of course opening up to Canada and the UK.

That's a long way of saying, we'll consider it in the future but we're focused on other things right now
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortboxed
Quote:
I downloaded the app last month and have checked out the books but when I submit an offer I never heard and it feels like all the books I've seen are listed way over FMV as opposed to the cgc boards , fee bay and mercari.

Hey thanks for checking out the app! As you know, Shortboxed is an open market and we do not dictate prices for sellers, they are free to price however they want. With over 10k slabs currently listed for sale, there are books that are over FMV, but there are also a lot that are under, and those tend to sell very fast - sometimes within minutes of being listed. However, we do find that the majority of books are listed within a fair range of FMV. Fairly priced keys sell VERY quickly and don't even get noticed by a lot of people. But yes, admittedly there are some books that are ridiculously overpriced which is definitely something we as collectors see on every single marketplace.

We're building some new features to address this, including adding some pricing data to better inform not just potential buyers, but also sellers when they submit their books for sale. We've even considered blocking any books that are listed over "X% above FMV" (i.e. 100% over FMV) but at the end of the day, sellers are free to price however they want and obviously those books sit idle.
thanks for the reply. How about the time frame on offers? I sent an offer on one book and heard back from the guy a week later and the other offer I never heard back on. I ended buying both books elsewhere. I didnt know if they were going to respond or not so I did what I had to do by making deals elsewhere.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:
thanks for the reply. How about the time frame on offers? I sent an offer on one book and heard back from the guy a week later and the other offer I never heard back on. I ended buying both books elsewhere. I didnt know if they were going to respond or not so I did what I had to do by making deals elsewhere.

This is an issue we're aware of - every time an offer gets submitted, the seller receives an email notification to respond to the offer, but obviously sometimes they either just forget or ignore it completely. We used to expire offers after 24 hours but got a lot of pushback from sellers that 24 hours was too quick; sometimes it'd be a weekend and they may not see it or check their email for a couple days, so we removed the auto-expire, but now there are some sellers who just forget to respond completely.

We're currently building a system to auto-expire after 72 hours (up from 24 hours), as well as building in-app notifications for things like this; i.e. offers, orders, misc alerts or actions needed, etc. The auto-expire is coming soon, but in-app notifications is a very complex engineering build so that'll likely be a Q3 update.

As a buyer, what seems fair to you? Buyers wanted 24 hours to create a sense of urgency, sellers didn't want it to expire so they can get to it later. 72 hours seems like a fair compromise. Thoughts?
Post 81 IP   flag post
Book came in the mail today. A very pleasant no hassle experience. I was surprised that I knew the seller. An altogether interesting turn of events.

Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

This is an issue we're aware of - every time an offer gets submitted, the seller receives an email notification to respond to the offer, but obviously sometimes they either just forget or ignore it completely. We used to expire offers after 24 hours but got a lot of pushback from sellers that 24 hours was too quick; sometimes it'd be a weekend and they may not see it or check their email for a couple days, so we removed the auto-expire, but now there are some sellers who just forget to respond completely.

We're currently building a system to auto-expire after 72 hours (up from 24 hours), as well as building in-app notifications for things like this; i.e. offers, orders, misc alerts or actions needed, etc. The auto-expire is coming soon, but in-app notifications is a very complex engineering build so that'll likely be a Q3 update.

As a buyer, what seems fair to you? Buyers wanted 24 hours to create a sense of urgency, sellers didn't want it to expire so they can get to it later. 72 hours seems like a fair compromise. Thoughts?
I personally think something like a day an a half would be better. Especially if your really hot on the tail of a book and if a seller cant get back to you in at least 36 hours I think that's more then enough time.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I noticed too how expensive books are on there. I thought shortbox was supposed to be a viable alternative to ebay, not be a worse option.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItClunky
Quote:
I noticed too how expensive books are on there. I thought shortbox was supposed to be a viable alternative to ebay, not be a worse option.

I think it would be best to withhold judgement on these new selling apps, at least regarding the prices. It doesn't surprise me that initially the demographic responding to them might not be as serious about selling their items at a competitive price. The ones who have the most success on other selling platforms or venues, those more likely to price aggressively, will probably be slower to migrate over.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItClunky
Quote:

I think it would be best to withhold judgement on these new selling apps, at least regarding the prices. It doesn't surprise me that initially the demographic responding to them might not be as serious about selling their items at a competitive price. The ones who have the most success on other selling platforms or venues, those more likely to price aggressively, will probably be slower to migrate over.

With over 10,000+ slabs currently listed for sale, some are priced high, some are low, most are within FMV range. Fairly priced keys tend to sell very, very quickly. Sometimes within minutes or even seconds of hitting the app.

We're also adding some sales and pricing data to product listings to better inform potential buyers, as well as hold some sellers accountable. Pricing a book 3x FMV helps no one, we all know that. This is not unique to Shortboxed, it happens on every single platform. But we're building some cool features to keep both buyers and sellers well informed. -Gene
Post 86 IP   flag post
Myslabs.com has got you out paced in the overpriced slab market. So, at least you have that going for you.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Fairly priced keys tend to sell very, very quickly. Sometimes within minutes or even seconds of hitting the app.

That's a valid point. We're not seeing all the inventory at any time, just the unpurchased inventory.
Post 88 IP   flag post
I've noticed that the CBCS listings tend to include the notes. The cgc listings do not.
Post 89 IP   flag post
@shortboxed I'm picking on you as well. Could you add what I am about to say to your selling guidelines or maybe send a note to the guilty sellers?

When asking hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for a comic book, take it out of the freaking bag before taking a picture of it. Some of us like to look at more than just the number before deciding to make a purchase.

Watson aka Grumpy Old Man
Post 90 IP   flag post
600857 90 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?