Zack Snyder's Justice League (Official Trailer)13930

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user

Post 76 IP   flag post
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus

Life is good. Wish this happened in 2017, but I’ll take it now.
Post 78 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm hoping for two things from this movie:

1) I hope it's good. I feel like it will be. I know I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
2) Assuming #1 turns out to be true, I hope that Warner management learns a lesson and begins to let their creators (directors, etc) create without getting involved. Invariably, when their management gets involved, they screw things up.

I think #1 has a much greater chance of coming true than does #2.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I'm hoping for two things from this movie:

1) I hope it's good. I feel like it will be. I know I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
2) Assuming #1 turns out to be true, I hope that Warner management learns a lesson and begins to let their creators (directors, etc) create without getting involved. Invariably, when their management gets involved, they screw things up.

I think #1 has a much greater chance of coming true than does #2.

Bottom line for me, there’s almost no chance the critics will be kind to this movie. Their headlines are already written. It will go over HUGE with the fans of man of steel and bvs. It will win over some casual movie watchers who are not all that steeped in lore, like my wife for example, who will likely not understand why the critics are so hard on it.

Zack Snyder is unfortunately a lot like politics. Most people have picked their tribe and nothing will change their affiliation. Sadly.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Themaxx35

Truer words were never spoken. I used to be on a horror Facebook page and you couldn’t even mention Rob Zombies name without serious backlash.

The bad thing about being able to share opinions is people haven’t learned that not every opinion needs to be shared.

Having said that, I have mixed feelings about the Snyderverse.

About half of what he does is stylistically cool and just amazing and then the other half I’m scratching my head.

But, I know what I’m getting and considering all the ground he laid for his JL, I’m very much looking forward to seeing his vision versus the generic Marvel-lite movie we ended up with.
Post 82 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Zack Snyder is unfortunately a lot like politics. Most people have picked their tribe and nothing will change their affiliation. Sadly.

Unfortunately, Warner management haven't helped matters for Snyder with the DC films.

I really liked "Man of Steel." I thought it was very well done and handled the issue of 'What happens when beings with superhuman abilities suddenly appear out of nowhere?' very well. It gave a real reason for Zod to be against Kal and I thought that Kal killing Zod was a realistic solution (not the most favorable result for Kal or viewers, but realistic) since Zod was a far superior soldier and fighter and Zod had made it crystal clear that he would never, ever stop trying to get the codex from Kal even if it meant destroying Kal and all of humanity in the process. Zod was only going to get stronger as he gained more control of his new yellow sun-based abilities and no prison on Earth could hold him. Whatcha gonna do?

The BvS theatrical release was ok. I thought BvS: Ultimate Edition was much better as it seemed to clear up plot points that were not resolved in the theatrical release. BvS continued to investigate the question of 'What happens when beings with superhuman abilities suddenly appear out of nowhere?' While I don't know for sure, I assume the studio edited the theatrical release and removed/changed things that Snyder added back in for the Ultimate Edition. Once this stuff was added back in, the results were a much better movie. Note that I fall into the "not bothered by the Martha scene" group as I thought that the scene made Batman open his eyes and realize the humanity of Superman. Your mileage may vary.

JL theatrical was ok. Nothing special. I think everyone on this thread knows the problems encountered both during and after the movie was released and we're all hoping for a win. Assuming that the movie turns out to be good it just sends a message, to me, anyway, that Warner management is a big part of the problems. They need to either get out of their own way and let their creators create or realize that they are incapable of doing that and just stop trying to be another Marvel. Stick to self-contained movies like "Shazam" and WW and be fine with that.
Post 83 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Edit: Duplicate post
Post 84 IP   flag post

"Take your place among the brave ones."
"I'm not broken, and I'm not alone."
Those now have duplicate meanings. Wow.
Post 85 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967

Excellent points!

I really wish our media companies would get out of the dang way and let artists do what they do.

I bet we could list dozens of movies where studio interference plopped a gooey on the directors vision, ruining the final product.

It’s like we got worse at story telling but excellent at merchandising and marketing at the same time.

Nine days to go!
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I really liked "Man of Steel." I thought it was very well done and handled the issue of 'What happens when beings with superhuman abilities suddenly appear out of nowhere?' very well. It gave a real reason for Zod to be against Kal and I thought that Kal killing Zod was a realistic solution (not the most favorable result for Kal or viewers, but realistic) since Zod was a far superior soldier and fighter and Zod had made it crystal clear that he would never, ever stop trying to get the codex from Kal even if it meant destroying Kal and all of humanity in the process. Zod was only going to get stronger as he gained more control of his new yellow sun-based abilities and no prison on Earth could hold him. Whatcha gonna do?

Put him back in the phantom zone.

Quote:
The BvS theatrical release was ok. I thought BvS: Ultimate Edition was much better as it seemed to clear up plot points that were not resolved in the theatrical release. BvS continued to investigate the question of 'What happens when beings with superhuman abilities suddenly appear out of nowhere?' While I don't know for sure, I assume the studio edited the theatrical release and removed/changed things that Snyder added back in for the Ultimate Edition. Once this stuff was added back in, the results were a much better movie. Note that I fall into the "not bothered by the Martha scene" group as I thought that the scene made Batman open his eyes and realize the humanity of Superman. Your mileage may vary.

Synder bends his characters so much that it is OK and forgotten that Bruce can't trust anyone and treats the other heros like they are beneath him. Yet, he expects everyone to jump when he tells them to do so. I guess because he buys back Martha's farm after it was foreclosed on we are just supposed forget about how mentally disturbed he is and shown to be. It makes no sense that Clarks lets a guy who brands criminals have a free pass, continue to run around fighting crime, and not stop Bruce and make sure he's in a cell next to the Joker at Arkham Asylum.

One has to wonder why Bruce didn't step in a save the Kent farm while Clark was dead? Where was he? He wasn't helping Martha in her time of need. That's a huge plot hole for me.

Quote:
JL theatrical was ok. Nothing special. I think everyone on this thread knows the problems encountered both during and after the movie was released and we're all hoping for a win. Assuming that the movie turns out to be good it just sends a message, to me, anyway, that Warner management is a big part of the problems. They need to either get out of their own way and let their creators create or realize that they are incapable of doing that and just stop trying to be another Marvel. Stick to self-contained movies like "Shazam" and WW and be fine with that.

They need to turn on the lights in their Universe and stop trying to paint every character as a mentally disturbed nut.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Quote:

Synder bends his characters so much that it is OK and forgotten that Bruce can't trust anyone and treats the other heros like they are beneath him. Yet, he expects everyone to jump when he tells them to do so. I guess because he buys back Martha's farm after it was foreclosed on we are just supposed forget about how mentally disturbed he is and shown to be. It makes no sense that Clarks lets a guy who brands criminals have a free pass, continue to run around fighting crime, and not stop Bruce and make sure he's in a cell next to the Joker at Arkham Asylum.

One has to wonder why Bruce didn't step in a save the Kent farm while Clark was dead? Where was he? He wasn't helping Martha in her time of need. That's a huge plot hole for me.

Quote:

They need to turn on the lights in their Universe and stop trying to paint every character as a mentally disturbed nut.

K
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:

I don't think Kal knows much of anything about the Phantom Zone. Zod or Jor El's consciousness may have mentioned it but I doubt that Kal would know how to put Zod back there. Even if he did, I'm not sure he'd have the equipment to do so.

Quote:
Synder bends his characters so much that it is OK and forgotten that Bruce can't trust anyone and treats the other heros like they are beneath him. Yet, he expects everyone to jump when he tells them to do so.

That's exactly how I would expect someone to act when he sees himself and his own motivations as being superior to people around him and their motivations. He would expect those around him to jump when he says jump.

Quote:
I guess because he buys back Martha's farm after it was foreclosed on we are just supposed forget about how mentally disturbed he is and shown to be. It makes no sense that Clarks lets a guy who brands criminals have a free pass, continue to run around fighting crime, and not stop Bruce and make sure he's in a cell next to the Joker at Arkham Asylum.

I don't think Clark gave Bruce a free pass - not by a long shot. In the timeline of these movies, Clark hasn't been Superman very long. Unless I'm mistaken, he took that role not too long before he fought Zod in MoS. Since one of the very early scenes in BvS (the scene in which Bruce is driving through Metropolis) takes place during the climactic battle of MoS, that probably means that Clark has been Superman a few months. Near the end of BvS, Superman and Batman fought one another, each with the intention of stopping the other. It was only when Doomsday appeared that they stopped fighting one another and teamed up with Wonder Woman to battle Doomsday.

Then Clark died.

He was dead for most of JL. When he was revived, he teamed with Batman and the others to fight Steppenwolf. So, if I'm right about how long Clark has played the role of Superman, there hasn't been much time for Clark to focus on stopping Batman but, still, he's already fought Batman once during that time in an attempt to stop him.

Quote:

I guess you could look at it that way. I never really thought about it to tell you the truth. It is a valid question, though. Maybe the scene happened at the end of JL so that Clark would be alive and the scene could serve as a bonding scene between him and Bruce. Or maybe Snyder's original cut of the movie handled it differently or had it happen earlier in the movie. I guess we'll find out in a little over a week.

Quote:

I think Shazam was pretty light as were the WW movies (even if the WW 1984 movie wasn't the greatest) and Aquaman (as light as a movie set underwater can get). Of course, Zack Snyder didn't direct any of these. To me, even MoS was not overly dark. Of course, both BvS and JL were dark. That dark, CGI-ish aesthetic is just Snyder's style. Some like it while others don't.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Wasn't everyone's criticism of Man of Steel that "SuPeRmAn DoEsNt KiLl"? Killing Zod was the first and last time he wanted to experience something like that. The story was written explicitly to separate the Kryptonians from Zod for the 3rd Act. It's in his nature to not kill Batman. That's what Superman is all about. *shrug*

I will ignore all criticism regarding the Josstice League, because we're not sure how the real movie plays out.

The Dark Knight Returns is supposed to be mentally deranged, in a fashion. It's why Harvey Dent's line from The Dark Knight means so much. It's not canon to BvS, but that doesn't mean that it isn't true. After becoming the villain, it wasn't until he had to become the hero again, that he did. He had a sentimental - and fundamental - reason to turn back to the light.

Some people will say that Man of Steel is dark. Color-wise? Maybe. Look at all of the hopeful messages that it delivers, though, especially from Jor-El. Then, Jon Kent is there to give Clark his own choices, showing that Kal is being brought up as his own biological parents desired. He's not raised under some morally high-ground household, rather he's given the opportunity to make his own choices. What does Kal instinctively do? The 'right' thing. He doesn't do it because his dad told him; He does it because that's what he thinks is right. That is Superman.
Post 90 IP   flag post
@theCapraAegagrus

Because you touched on this some, it reminded me of what I liked about KC portrayal of Jonathan Kent.

In Superman 1978, Pa says his son is meant for more than scoring touchdowns.

In MoS, Pa basically suggested that Clark let the kids in the bus drown.

Whether people like that message or not is irrelevant to me. I think it just shows where we are as a society.

I truly wish they’d explored that more, but I also know why they didn’t.

I think that was my big issue with MoS: it brought up a lot of great themes and ideas, but devolved into a (mostly) classic super hero punch fest.

And, I was fine with him killing. Yes, it’s out of character for the Superman everyone was familiar with, but when has anyone ever put Superman in a morally compromising situation?

I didn’t have a problem with it all.

Just some random thoughts before we get to see the next chapter.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@theCapraAegagrus
...In MoS, Pa basically suggested that Clark let the kids in the bus drown.

Whether people like that message or not is irrelevant to me. I think it just shows where we are as a society.

I truly wish they’d explored that more, but I also know why they didn’t...

I have to say that "maybe" is not "yes". He wanted Clark to make his own decisions. He wants him to think for himself, and understand that there will always be consequences for his actions. This is directly after Pete's mom freaks out over what he did. BvS is a continuation of this. Jon wants Clark to understand that he can't save everybody. Kal still struggles with this as an adult. He struggles because he is all-good, but he is not all-powerful.

Jon's underlying motivation is that he wants Clark to be able to live a 'normal' life, as much as he can, as a developing being. The human psyche is what drives Superman's all-good morality.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
@theCapraAegagrus
...In MoS, Pa basically suggested that Clark let the kids in the bus drown.

I truly wish they’d explored that more, but I also know why they didn’t...

I have to say that "maybe" is not "yes". He wanted Clark to make his own decisions. He wants him to think for himself, and understand that there will always be consequences for his actions. This is directly after Pete's mom freaks out over what he did. BvS is a continuation of this. Jon wants Clark to understand that he can't save everybody. Kal still struggles with this as an adult. He struggles because he is all-good, but he is not all-powerful.

Jon's underlying motivation is that he wants Clark to be able to live a 'normal' life, as much as he can, as a developing being. The human psyche is what drives Superman's all-good morality.

Interesting.

I tended to view that less as Jon wanting him to make a decision for himself and more the reality that revealing his powers would cause a lot of problems.

Either way, I rather enjoyed that take.

I mean, what would you do if you found an alien child?

I think it was a realistic portrayal and I think that’s what you’re talking about.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
Interesting.

I tended to view that less as Jon wanting him to make a decision for himself and more the reality that revealing his powers would cause a lot of problems.

Either way, I rather enjoyed that take.

I mean, what would you do if you found an alien child?

I think it was a realistic portrayal and I think that’s what you’re talking about.

Both. Jon realizes that Clark wants to do the 'right' thing, but his human dad has to warn him about the consequences. That's why - as an adult - Clark goes through all of the trouble creating fake identities. It's only when he gets his suit and identity of Superman that he's allowed to separate the 2 aspects of his life. He doesn't have to sacrifice Clark Kent to be Superman (until Doomsday).

Man of Steel is one of my absolute favorite movies. Not just comic book movies; Of any genre. Everything that leads up to the 3rd Act is just fantastic. The 3rd Act is a little long, but it's a 21st century showing of Superman's powers. It also shows how much a new Superman struggles with a combat veteran like Zod. The second he had the advantage, he did what was necessary to ultimately choose Earth over Krypton. I like the parallel to his father choosing Kal over Krypton, too. In desperation for his son's life and future, Jor-El was also able to overpower Zod.
Post 94 IP   flag post
I can tell it’s a favorite.

I was kind of Meh about it, but it has grown in me.

Until now, I hadn’t realized how fear seems to be the underlying theme of the movie.

Good stuff! I may need to watch it this weekend.
Post 95 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967

Bruce tells Dianna "I failed him in life. But I won't fail him in death. " and then fails Clark by letting the Kent farm get foreclosed upon. For me it highlighted that Bruce is shallow, and never follows through on anything except for his selfish crusade against crime. It is very typical of the crap in Synder's DC universe.

(BTW, Clark was Superman for about 18 months when he dies in the Synder DC universe. The timeline is that he's dead for about a year when he is brought back to life).
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DWeeB1967

Bruce tells Dianna "I failed him in life. But I won't fail him in death. " and then fails Clark by letting the Kent farm get foreclosed upon. For me it highlighted that Bruce is shallow, and never follows through on anything except for his selfish crusade against crime. It is very typical of the crap in Synder's DC universe.

(BTW, Clark was Superman for about 18 months when he dies in the Synder DC universe. The timeline is that he's dead for about a year when he is brought back to life).

I see what you’re saying, but I think I’ve tended to ignore those pieces or not place much emphasis on it.

I don’t care how rich Bruce is, one does not simply “buy a bank.”

I always think that’s part of the “massive wealth” is his super power.

I’m not a fan of that line of thinking.
Post 97 IP   flag post
@Towmater I see where your coming from and that makes sense. I don't see it the same way but that's one good thing about movies: they can be interpreted in many different ways.

And, just so I'm clear, is that 18 months INCLUDING the year he was dead or 18 months without that year?
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater I see where your coming from and that makes sense. I don't see it the same way but that's one good thing about movies: they can be interpreted in many different ways.

And, just so I'm clear, is that 18 months INCLUDING the year he was dead or 18 months without that year?

BvS takes place 18 months after Kal fights Zod. So, Clark dies 18 months after becoming Superman.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Thanks, @theCapraAegagrus.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
@DWeeB1967

I see what you’re saying, but I think I’ve tended to ignore those pieces or not place much emphasis on it.

I don’t care how rich Bruce is, one does not simply “buy a bank.”

I always think that’s part of the “massive wealth” is his super power.

I’m not a fan of that line of thinking.

Bruce didn't need to buy a bank. He could have paid off the debt on the farm or bought it at auction. He's one of the richest people on the planet in the DC Universe. A billionaire makes millions in interest/returns per minute. Shucking out the amount of money to gift the farm to Martha wouldn't be an issue. I guess he was too busy fighting Harley and Joker or something to keep his word. Wait, he's a bent character in Synder's universe so Martha isn't even on his radar until it is too late and he is forced to buy the bank. She's an afterthought. Then once Clark comes back Bruce suddenly does the right thing. More than likely in Synder's universe there was a motive for doing it. Bruce somehow sees Clark as an asset and he's buying him or buying goodwill for a future favor.

If you are a hero in Synder's Universe you have to be bent or warped. Even Dianna is troubled. She disappears herself for decades because she loved someone and the pain from him dying drives her in to hiding. That isn't a hero. That isn't a strong independent woman.

Synder needs to move away from the idea that the characters are all like Rorschach - as mentally disturbed as he is, and act like him.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Post 102 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 103 IP   flag post
It sounds like AT&T/HBO Max are already interested in producing a sequel. If ZSJL is good - which I suspect that it is - the thing that would concern me is an HBO Max budget vs a Warner Bros budget.
Post 104 IP   flag post
@theCapraAegagrus Seriously??!! Fingers crossed!!!! I hope this film is a huge financial success!
Post 105 IP   flag post
601333 205 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?