Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@doog I had 3 iron man 55s, sold a cgc 3.5 for $50 8 years ago and threw in a raw good+ so the collector could read it, lol

If I only knew back then.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Comics are not an addiction, but are certainly a fetish item.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed that prices are going crazy.

I just sold a large portion of my collection (90% of it) and my graded copy of X-Men #10 in CBCS 2.0 sold for $105. That's a HUGE jump over the CGC graded price in that condition.

Plus, a bunch of other borderline worthless comics and lots, together with that X-Men, sold for almost $1.5K.

It's amazing what's going on in collecting right now.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotSoNice

Both.

I hear Wertham had a closet full of 'em!
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotSoNice
Thank you...
Post 30 IP   flag post

Not mutually exclusive...
Post 31 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion we are seeing an early phase of currency devaluing through inflation. It's not just in comic books, it's in other discretionary purchases such as sporting goods equipment and home improvement. I assume this price inflation is going on in other collectibles. When governments decide to "make it rain", collectors and enthusiasts go spend like strippers after a busy weekend. The lack of spending on travel, hospitality and entertainment just adds fuel to the fire that increases prices on available options. Oil has resisted only because demand was very low, but as demand increases we are seeing gas prices head towards $4 per in California. Staple items like eggs, bread and milk aren't going up in price yet because demand for those things is consistent regardless of government stimulus. But overall cost increases will hit the staples eventually and we will see those prices rise as well if my theory is correct.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I said previously that I hoped to balance my buying and selling this year, but honestly right now I'm doing a lot more buying than selling. I intend to keep that up at least until the next round of US stimulus is finalized. If I'm right about inflation I want to be hedged with some things that hold value in inflationary times. If I'm wrong, then the future economy is in better shape than I predicted and that's actually a better outcome.
Post 33 IP   flag post
In terms of the comic book market specifically, it's crucial that new (younger) collectors are entering the hobby, and that they stay.

And to stay?

They need to stay happy.

I'm very concerned about the over-valuation of post-1966 books, and fear (as I've said before) that if these books crash or freeze in (over-)valuation, we may be seeing problems like the collectible card market saw a few decades ago.

So while some may celebrate that X-Mutants #1313 (or whatever) is selling for 10 times what it probably should, this concerns me a LOT, because if newer/younger hobbyists get stuck with books like this, it could sour them on the entire hobby.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
In terms of the comic book market specifically, it's crucial that new (younger) collectors are entering the hobby, and that they stay.

And to stay?

They need to stay happy.

I'm very concerned about the over-valuation of post-1966 books, and fear (as I've said before) that if these books crash or freeze in (over-)valuation, we may be seeing problems like the collectible card market saw a few decades ago.

So while some may celebrate that X-Mutants #1313 (or whatever) is selling for 10 times what it probably should, this concerns me a LOT, because if newer/younger hobbyists get stuck with books like this, it could sour them on the entire hobby.

This!

And more!
Post 35 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
The modern sports card market makes the modern comic book market look stable.
I’m guessing a bubble burst will happen in modern sports cards 1st. Patrick Mahomes cards made a few years ago selling at a quarter million $. Modern comics aren’t even close to that level of insanity.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
The modern sports card market makes the modern comic book market look stable.
I’m guessing a bubble burst will happen in modern sports cards 1st. Patrick Mahomes cards made a few years ago selling at a quarter million $. Modern comics aren’t even close to that level of insanity.

I had no idea that was happening in cards - well, outside of the crazy Pokemon prices - not good...

Hope you're right about modern comics!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me

Unfortunately when a bubble pops somebody has to be left holding the bag...and it's usually not the professionals and veterans. So that usually just leaves the young'uns and rookies. But I don't really think the industry as a whole is in an unsustainable bubble...however we certainly are seeing a lot of rotation in and out of bright shiny objects pretty consistently.
Post 38 IP   flag post
601347 38 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?