Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Comic Book Timelines Discussion13835

Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
An interesting topic I feel needs to be discussed involves comic age time lines. The gold age was from 1938-1956 (18 years), followed by the silver age 1956-1970 (14 years), Bronze age 1970-1984 (14 years), copper age 1984-1991 (7 years) and lastly modern age 1991-present (30 years and counting!). I'm not quite sure why additional ages had not been coined since there are distinct historical happenings within the current 30 year span that would be able to delineate different time lines. What's your thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
Next is digital age. 😂
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Age of variants ....or How to Judge a book by its cover
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
An interesting topic I feel needs to be discussed involves comic age time lines. The gold age was from 1938-1956 (18 years), followed by the silver age 1956-1970 (14 years), Bronze age 1970-1984 (14 years), copper age 1984-1991 (7 years) and lastly modern age 1991-present (30 years and counting!). I'm not quite sure why additional ages had not been coined since there are distinct historical happenings within the current 30 year span that would be able to delineate different time lines. What's your thoughts?

I agree on breaking Moderns up, but also feel that the older ages aren't correct either, with all either ending earlier and/or starting later than noted, and some ages missing altogether.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
There is much to debate there. Some feel the golden age ended with WW2 in 1945. While the golden age of SUPERHEROES ended then, I would argue that the golden age of COMICS continued until the advent of the comics code in 1955. The end of the silver age is also up for debate. Personally I would say it ended and the bronze age began when comics changed in cover price from 12 to 15 cents. Again it’s different strokes for different folks there, but for me the end of 12 cent comics began the era of rapid price increases, expanded ad pages and a shifting distribution system. As for the copper age, I put the beginning of that at the beginning of the indie publishing movement, the earliest appearing around 1980. This period continued until around 1990, when the next era began, the era of million selling comics and the rise of Image comics. Not sure if this should accurately be termed the modern era or not. I would personally call it the “glut age”. My perspective is that it should include the boom years of the 1990s and the bust years of the mid to late ‘90s. I think the rebuilding part after that should probably be the beginning of the current age, around the early 2000s, which I would say is the modern age, although as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, we are currently moving toward a digital age. Again, that is just my perspective and there is no right or wrong answers.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Prior discussions:

What Are The True Comic Book Age Categories?
clickable text

When is the next comic era and who decides?
clickable text
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
These ages have been debated fir ages. Golden Age typically starts with June 1938 dated books, but arguably can start a little earlier with first costumed Hero (although not “super”) a few months earlier. Prior to that is Platinum which never has had a good start date, and prior to that is Victorian.
The END of the Golden Age is usually the same as the start of the Silver Age in Sept/Oct 1956 with publishing of Showcase 4, but i agree it should be earlier with advent of CCA. However, i think Atomic Age should be between GA and SA and start around 1948, sometime, when a lot of hero books were dying and SciFi and Westerns took over.
As far as start of the Bronze Age? Lots of dates. conan 1 and iron man 1, both 12 cent issues, should be Bronze Age books, but Batman starts when Neal Adams took over art duties. GL 76 is Bronze age for same reason, but is diff date. superman and related might be 15cent prices, but XMen is start of reprints. Rest of Marvel has to be when ToS and TtA changed titles to Captain America and Incredible Hulk (also 12 cent issues).
I always put Copper Age at start of $1 anthology books, digests and first Mini-Series being published, then ending in 1986 with CoiE abd Secret Wars. 1990 is the Image Age, and 1999/2000 is Modern/Ultimate age. “Modern” is also definable as first Harley Quinn or start of CGC. That easily varies.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@cyrano0521 I like that you mentioned the Atomic Age of comics. This gets overlooked a lot.
Post 8 IP   flag post
600774 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?