Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

Help with Signature Identification13816

Collector Goonboon private msg quote post Address this user
I recently bought 1988 Dark Horse Aliens 2-6 signed by an unknow signature. Can anyone help me identify the signature?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't appear to be someone associate with the comic itself. I wonder if it's an actor's.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy I believe it's someone on the book. I've been able to find a few other items with that signature but haven't been able to pin down the name yet
Post 3 IP   flag post
What I find interesting is all the books are signed by the same signature in the same spot. Who ever brought this series to be signed felt that person had an influence on all 6 books. I also found another similar signature on a book in this series from a Google search. However I was unable to find the reference of who it is. I appreciate everyone's help.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Okay, as difficult as it is to believe, I think it is Mark Nelson, cover artist on the series.

His signature appears on the slipcased hardcover edition of Aliens: Book One, next to Verheiden's, and it also appears on the Compleat Aliens and on Nelson's Aliens Art Prints set

Post 5 IP   flag post
This is Mark's typical signature. I am curious why you feel its him?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Goonboon The thing about the book you showed is that it was signed 25 years after the book was released. The Aliens book 1 hardcover was a signed limited edition, meaning all copies were signed by Mark Nelson and Mark Verheiden and it was released in 1990. More contemporary to the book's original release.

People's signatures change over time and artists may have multiple signatures depending on the situation.

It is a little difficult to see but here is Mark Nelson's signature on an unrelated print

Here's another unrelated book from 1993 with Nelson's signature

Post 7 IP   flag post
I just saw the pics you shared above. That is really cool! I appreciate you sharing that. Do you think its worth getting them graded?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Goonboon That's not really a straightforward question. From a purely financial point of view, the 9.6 above is on sale for $80 plush shipping. To get something comparable you would have to pay for grading ($18), signature verification ($25), plus shipping and there's no guarantee that the book is going to get a 9.6 or better.

As an Aliens fan, and Nelson's cover art in particular, I would love an Aliens comic signed by him graded
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the help and evidence! I ended up picking up these books today from a small shop called half price books. Ended up buying the 2-6 signed set for $20 bucks. I too am an Aliens fan as well. I will probably have them graded and verified.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Magellan private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite you rock, man. I’ve had this signature from the 1992 Chicago comicon that’s been confounding me for years.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

People's signatures change over time and artists may have multiple signatures depending on the situation.

I know there are many but my 2 fav examples are early vs recent Mignola signatures and based on situation is Mr. Perez
Post 12 IP   flag post
598060 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?