Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Amspider private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone hope the new year is better than the last (I don’t say this numbers anymore).
I bought this ASM 129 dual signatures. Here are the notes what do you think, would a press help to bump up in grade???
Post 1 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
To be honest, without an image to put it into context, the description doesn't even sound like an 8.5
[to me]
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
The notes don't indicate anything that a press will help. And the notes would suggest a book in the VF range. It would be unusual to see a 9.0 or better with so much color breaking creases.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
To be honest, without an image to put it into context, the description doesn't even sound like an 8.5
[to me]

I agree!

@Amspider - Show front and back pics.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
The only defect listed that might get fixed with a press is the “small crease bottom right of back cover”.

And I doubt that fixing that one defect would bump the grade.

I’d leave it, unless you see additional defects that could be helped by a press.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
If you color in the breaks, they'll look better.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

... and one will get a new color label. It's a coloring bonanza!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
My graders notes never looked like that. Did I miss an update?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Hey now, I thought discussing resto methods was taboo.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:

Hey now, I thought discussing resto methods was taboo.

There’s no resto in sharpie use🤫
Post 10 IP   flag post

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Too many color breaks on the spine and that staple tear doesn't help. Looks good though for an 8.5.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Sorry I didn’t have good WiFi when I was trying to upload pictures. Let me know.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider - thanks for the pics! I think you would be better off leaving it as it is.

Seriously!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Agreed- Be happy with the 8.5
Post 15 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Staple tear will not get any better then 8.5. even with no other defects.
I'd leave alone. Nice book 👍
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Leave it alone - could come back at a lower grade. You willing to take that risk? Best as is bud!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Leave it alone wins. I will use the funds to buy more
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amspider
Leave it alone wins. I will use the funds to buy more

Good call.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user

Since we are sharing - not as nice as your 129.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
SHIFT TO APPRECIATION THREAD!!!

Post 22 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
This is all that I've got. My shame is unbearable:

Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 24 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I avoided my usual rant on graders notes on my first post. Was Kinda proud of myself. But now pictures are posted and I can't help it.

Graders notes are what the graders took the time to write down. And nothing more. They are not a complete list of every defect on the book.

The graders notes mention a crease bottom right of back cover. Looking at the pictures, that crease clearly damages paper. That is something people should understand about graders notes. White is the absence of color. The paper is white all the way through. So creases in white areas of the book never are listed as "breaking color" even though they might damage the paper and be clearly visible, no matter how well pressed. Pressing will not help that "bottom right corner back cover" crease.

But there is clearly a small crease top of the spine back cover. Not mentioned in the notes. Looks like a clean and press might help.

Seriously doubt the grade changes. Be wise to leave it be. Borderline books can go down as well as up.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s mine. I’d like to upgrade to an 8.0 (minimum) this year. But being in the “low grade is better than no grade” camp already, it’s a bit of a lower priority than a couple other things on my list.

Post 26 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user

I’m in the “don’t press/regrade” camp. It could come back an 8.0.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Bought this circa mid-90's at a small show at StonyBrook University, NY called "ICON".
Been anxious to get it graded, but I am waiting for conventions to open again so that I can do a one-on-one handoff to an individual at CBCS.
I just can't bring myself to send something of this value in the mail... particularly these days. I'm aware of purchasing extra insurance, but I still can't do it in my head.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Appreciation Thread I’m in

Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 45 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?