Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Bags and boards recommendations13181

Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm also not a fan of those self-adhesive bags. Why even risk it.

I love Mylite2's and Fullbacks for the better books.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

I have been using these on the back of my Mylar bags. They come off easy enough if I want to remove a book. I used to use regular tape on them but I could never get the tape off clean and then it would tear the tape. This would be an ugly look especially when I was doing shows and the Mylar would be retaped about 3 times if someone had wanted to take a closer look at the book. Sometimes I use blue painter's tape if it is a book that I am in the middle of pressing or getting ready to send off for grading. The Stick-It stickers are pretty expensive though. $8.95 for 100 of them. They come in different colors. I bought the clear ones but next time I will get colored ones.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I fold one of the ends of tape, to about an 1/8", to leave a little bit of a handle to help remove and reapply tape. Works pretty well.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I use blue painters tape on mylars.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I like to use Mylites 2 with Fullbacks for anything worth keeping long term - expensive, but crystal clear and never yellows, sticks to other bags, or needs to be changed. Every book I submit to CBCS travels to them in Mylar. One of the perks of working there must be you get an endless supply of free Mylites!
The last time I picked up regular storage bags (and boards), the only bags available at the store at that time were the resealable kind. I had never used this type before (and not trusting myself - I just know I would forget and place a comic right on it), decided to not use the sticky strip. So I am going old school and using tape to seal them. I used to use blue painter’s tape, but even that was requiring too much force to remove. So I now use Scotch Removable Tape on all my bags and I have been very satisfied with the results.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

So I bought more of the Stick-It stickers today. I picked out a pack of red and a pack of green. My thoughts were if I put red stickers on it, then it stays in the PC. If I put green stickers on it, then it is possibly for sale at some point. Maybe a little OCD but why not try it.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I picked out a pack of red and a pack of green. My thoughts were if I put red stickers on it, then it stays in the PC. If I put green stickers on it, then it is possibly for sale at some point. Maybe a little OCD but why not try it.

@BrianGreensnips I think ever since I was young the bagging and sorting and categorizing has been half the fun of collecting. I think we all enjoy finding new ways to tinker with our collection. In high school I spent much of my Freshman summer writing my comic collection into a ledger, and I remember really enjoying it. So I don't think the sticker sorting makes you particularly OCD.
Post 32 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Being organized is hardly OCD.

I wish I had that ability. Unfortunately I only possess hoarding skills. When I need to find stuff, it means going over the same stuff over and over again...
Post 33 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
When I need to find stuff, it means going over the same stuff over and over again...

@Bronte you could try the Dewey Decimal system
Post 34 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I used to work in the school library. Unfortunately I've gotten so old I don't even remember how that works anymore. Lol
Post 35 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Scotch or magic tape is bad on mylars. It's hard to remove the tape from them which is why I use blue painters tape on mylars. Magic tape on BCW bags.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Number all your boxes or rubbermaid storage tubs and use a spreadsheet. That's how I find my turtle toys and other precious artifacts.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte what did you decide on this?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo I've used the Scotch brand removable tape, but I don't like that it doesn't hold very well. If you pull it while stuck to a bag, it will slide, especially after a few months. A better alternative is the Scotch GiftWrap tape. It holds tighter than Removable tape but not as much as regular tape. It comes off comic bags pretty nicely.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash

I ended up getting the hot flips from ebay. The reason being it was wider than typical bags. I got the self seal version but the adhesive was on the flap which is scary. Fortunately you have to remove the backing to expose adhesive. (Think self stick stamps) I choose to just use painters tape to prevent an accident. The boards I have from previous fit and for short term use I think it will be fine. I've used maybe 5 bags but they fit well and haven't torn or anything stupid. I just needed like 10 bags so I guess these bags will last me a lifetime.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@HulkSmash

I ended up getting the hot flips from ebay. The reason being it was wider than typical bags. I got the self seal version but the adhesive was on the flap which is scary. Fortunately you have to remove the backing to expose adhesive. (Think self stick stamps) I choose to just use painters tape to prevent an accident. The boards I have from previous fit and for short term use I think it will be fine. I've used maybe 5 bags but they fit well and haven't torn or anything stupid. I just needed like 10 bags so I guess these bags will last me a lifetime.
cool😎
Post 41 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I like using circle labels from an office supply store, for readers in poly bags that is. You don't have to worry about sticky to books but they seem to stick well to the bags. I will say, they don't stick enough for Mylar.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I was thinking about the comments from people who don't like the exposed tape and I realized that I don't even worry about it because I don't "reseal" the bags! I put the comic in the bag and then "seal" it and I'm done. I don't take the comic back out of the bag. I mainly like these bags because it is easier to seal than using multiple pieces of tape, and I like that the adhesive goes all the way across the back and makes the flap look neat and clean. No more folded corners.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Donnied

In theory thats great, but one day someone is going to open that bag. If it isn't you, hopefully they are mindful of the adhesive...
Post 44 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I've been looking for a tip about tape on comic bags for the last couple days. I wish I could find it because it had a picture. I thought it was here, but it might have been on Facebook.

Regardless, the tip is to fold over a piece of the tape to make a tab that you can grab and pull. @Terry88 mentioned this above. However, the light bulb moment is how you apply it. You put the tab on the flap side and the tape on the body. That way, you pull the tape down and it stays on the body, not on the flap, which is how the majority of tape pulls occur.

Personally, I use the resealable bags with the adhesive on the body. I'm pretty sure they are the BCW brand. I've ruined too many covers with tape pulls.

Edit: this isn't the best picture, but I just did this to a comic I have here.

Post 45 IP   flag post
I'm not really getting the difference. Where there is adhesive there is a chance on something getting stuck to it. Unless you completely remove the tape, or don't use tape at all, there a chance of it happening. The resealable bag adhesive is easily covered by the bag flap, but a piece of tape is not so easy to cover.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@Donnied

If you are referring to my response, the bags I bought have adhesive on flap vs body. But either way, removing the tape completely is generally the best practice on old school bags and tape.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Donnied and if you are asking me, it boils down to how tape pulls happen. Most, from my experience, happen when the tape is attached to the flap and the comic cover catches on the tape when you are taking out or putting in the comic. When you go to pull the tape from the cover, part of the cover comes off. This is especially true of older comics. If the tab is situated so you pull it down, the tape is not attached to the bag cover, so there is no chance for it to catch the comic when the the comic is being pulled out or put in. Of course, the best solution to tape is to throw it away and use new. But I don't know anybody who does that on a consistent basis.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Adhesive on the flap is just stupid, only a non-comic person would design that! Also, I don't reuse the bags on comics I buy because some of the tape that is used works way too good, and can't be removed without damaging the bag. In those case I cut the tape and then dispose of the bag, which is probably why I buy bags a 1000 at a time. The giftwrap tape comes right off though.
Post 49 IP   flag post
598060 49 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?