Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Favorite Silver Age Cover 1959 to 196913163

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Post an entry for your favorite Silver Age cover published between 1959 and 1969. Once all the entries have been posted by Friday 11:59 pm, I we make another thread compiling all the entries and then we can vote on a top ten.

One entry per person. Published comic books only. Discussion welcome. This isn't really a contest. It's more of a community ranking.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
My all time favorite, though all of the Steranko SHIELD covers are among the best ever created.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector furlo316 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy I think that one is a John Romita painting, pretty rare!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Too many great ASM's, Steranko's, and early Adam's covers to choose from, so since it's almost Halloween:

Post 7 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm kind of in the same boat as @esaravo... too many great Kirby FF covers and Steranko covers to choose from. So, I'll go with something DC.

This has been one of my favorites for a long, long time (and I still don't own a copy 😄). I love the contrast of Deadman's costume with the greens of the background faces, most of which are caricatures of people working at DC at the time of its publication... Strange Adventures #207.

Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I chose this cover for 2 reasons....

(1) It fits the date criteria (1969). I was just 11 years old.

(2) In 1969 I went to the drug store which was about a 30 second walk from the front door of our house. The pharmacist handed me my pull list of Archie Series comics, I went to the comic shelf to check out other stuff and saw this cover. I bought it, read it,... and was immediately liberated from Archie comics and was buying every Marvel comic title in publication. AND,... began chasing down back issues!

Three years later I scored a HUGE lot of comics... mostly Marvel, DC, GA classics (about 2400 books). Almost every title Marvel had at the time... ASM, FF, Hulk, JIM (pre Thor), X-Men, Avengers,... the list goes on. All issue numbers began at around #3. About 30 of the books were Golden Age DC. I paid .03 cents for each book. To give you all an idea of the condition the lot, in 2002 I sold the Wonder Woman #10 that I strictly graded at 8.5 raw and received Huge Kudos. Back when ebay was fun!

The above paragraph is a story saved for later.

Here is my submission....

Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Coolest cover I own.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
WOW!! I love those STERANKO COVERS!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user

daywalker beat me to it, but this is still my favorite cover in that time span.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder - Awesome story!
Post 15 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

@daywalker best me to it as well but I do like these covers with the black background just makes the characters pop
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
One entry per person.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Pre_Coder - Awesome story!

Thanks Ed!

The last paragraph is a very sad story.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user

Post 19 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Finding this at an auction started me collecting again.

mm
Post 20 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Finding this at an auction started me collecting again.

mm

@martymann, earlier in this thread, I posted Strange Adventures #207 as my cover entry. Had I not chosen that one, I'd have chosen Showcase #61, the issue right after this one, with the Spectre fighting the giant red monster in space. But Showcase #60 is awesome, too. It's one of my favorite books in my collection.

Nice pick.
Post 21 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 Thank you...I picked up STRANGE ADVENTURES #207 & #208
at the same auction...both are TERRIFIC covers.

Marty
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
Man, @martymann, now your making me want to get back to work completing my Strange Adventures Deadman run. I still need 206, 207 and a couple in the teens.

I still need Showcase #64, too, the 3rd Spectre in the series. For some reason, I don't see that one appearing in nice shape as often as I do #60 or even #61.

Sorry, @DrWatson... didn't mean to derail your cover thread by talking Spectre and Deadman. 🙂
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock

I KNEW that someone would post this one. 😄
Post 25 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I have way too many covers that I like. A lot of those covers have already been posted.
I do like the flash 123 cover and it was a pleasant surprise to see the scene done by actors in the flash tv show.

I'd like to meet a competent artist that can imitate carmine style and do a homage cover but with Barry Allen flash as the innocent bystander on the ground. Not put in a girder falling. And have reverse flash on one side and Zoom on the right hand side saying ' I'll kill the Flash ' and the other one saying ' No I'll kill the flash '. Maybe look at doing that when the conventions start up in my area.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Sorry, @DrWatson... didn't mean to derail your cover thread by talking Spectre and Deadman. 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Discussion welcome.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Since X-Men 50 was already posted I will go with this classic:

Post 28 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

I bid on one in a recent auction but someone else just wanted it more.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I had a hard time choosing between this one and Cap #100. I decided on this one purely because I like the colors better.

Post 30 IP   flag post
601350 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?