Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Pennsylvania Dutch Pedigree/Collection12995

Collector daredevilart private msg quote post Address this user
Does CBCS no longer recognize this collection? I sent in a book that I'd purchased raw from Metropolis Comics and was designated from that collection. Sent in for grading/slabbing and I just received the grade online with no mention of the Pennsylvania Dutch Pedigree/Collection.

I know CGC never recognized it, but there are a ton of CBCS books with the designation.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I have 1 or 2 Charlton books and posed the question to Metropolis if they could send the raw books in for grading so they could be slabbed with the designation. Their response was that unless it was part of the original batch to be slabbed it couldn’t get the designation later on down the road.

Like you id be interested to see if anyone else knows anything further.
Post 2 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
I have 1 or 2 Charlton books and posed the question to Metropolis if they could send the raw books in for grading so they could be slabbed with the designation. Their response was that unless it was part of the original batch to be slabbed it couldn’t get the designation later on down the road.

That doesn't seem right.
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes

That doesn't seem right.

Actually, to me that would make perfect sense. Otherwise, there would be nothing to stop unscrupulous people from claiming that a particular book was from this pedigree or that collection.

Note that I *AM NOT* saying that this is what is happening in the case of @daredevilart. In fact, I don't think that's the case at all. I'm simply saying that I understand why CBCS would have that policy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I sent in a Boston copy to cbcs I've owned for years that I bought off metropolis. And I owned Boston's slabbed and raw before that I'd sent to CGC that came back with the Boston on the label. CBCS sent it back without the Boston on the label.

So if you have legit pedigrees I recommend sending them to CGC to get the pedigree on the label. Send non pedigrees to CBCS as they can't tell or won't put it on the label.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Actually, to me that would make perfect sense. Otherwise, there would be nothing to stop unscrupulous people from claiming that a particular book was from this pedigree or that collection.

Note that I *AM NOT* saying that this is what is happening in the case of @daredevilart. In fact, I don't think that's the case at all. I'm simply saying that I understand why CBCS would have that policy.

That doesn't make sense, to me, because it would be poor form to require all books from a specific pedigree/collection to be submitted at one time. My understanding is that all of them have a particular verifiable marking.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector daredevilart private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That doesn't make sense, to me, because it would be poor form to require all books from a specific pedigree/collection to be submitted at one time. My understanding is that all of them have a particular verifiable marking.

No, many pedigrees do not have any markings at all. I bought the book from a highly reputable dealer, so if CBCS needed/wanted some sort of proof of sale, I could have provided that.

It's not the end of the world, but somewhat annoying. Had I known it wouldn't get the designation, I would have cleaned/pressed it along with the others and likely gotten a better grade.
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Pennsylvania Dutch is a collection, not a pedigree. Collections are not specified in the pedigree field of the label, they are a note at the bottom of the label.

Collections are only labeled when they are submitted as a whole. Collections do not necessarily have verifiable characteristics, thus there is no way to trace them beyond the initial submission.

Pedigrees are a totally different beast. There is no true comparison between the two. Different entities with different rules.
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I sent in a Boston copy to cbcs I've owned for years that I bought off metropolis. And I owned Boston's slabbed and raw before that I'd sent to CGC that came back with the Boston on the label. CBCS sent it back without the Boston on the label.

So if you have legit pedigrees I recommend sending them to CGC to get the pedigree on the label. Send non pedigrees to CBCS as they can't tell or won't put it on the label.

That makes no sense. If you had the certificate or the provenance (chain of purchase) on the book, then CBCS would label the book as a Boston pedigree book.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I meant to share this earlier. This is a Boston pedigree CBCS slab that is on eBay UK, so they do acknowledge the pedigree.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O except when they forget the order then rush it thru it will not have the pedigree on the label. Once tried it doesn't succeed I never see the point of trying again. Another avenue does it right the first time just go where uncertainty isn't a wild card factor
Post 11 IP   flag post
And the Dutch collection isn't a pedigree. I have one of those books from the early 70s and no way is that book have any qualities cas a pedigree. It reminds me of the 60s big apples where if not for the high grade and better page quality of the golden age books the silver age books of the big apple books would never have gotten a pedigree status.
Post 12 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I always enjoy these discussions.

Marty
Post 13 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
When I bought the Harlan Ellison Collection, CGC would only give it the collection designation if all the books came in at once and only through a dealer they knew and trusted, who went with me to pick up the books from Harlan and then shipped them to CGC.

I bought a lot of books, but not all of them. Anything of Harlan's that found its way to CGC after the big submission, wouldn't get the notation on the label, mainly because they can't verify its authenticity. They won't even take a COA.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevilart
Quote:

No, many pedigrees do not have any markings at all. I bought the book from a highly reputable dealer, so if CBCS needed/wanted some sort of proof of sale, I could have provided that.

It's not the end of the world, but somewhat annoying. Had I known it wouldn't get the designation, I would have cleaned/pressed it along with the others and likely gotten a better grade.

Can you give me an example...?
Post 15 IP   flag post
597867 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?