Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureSignatures

TCGs: MTG,Pokemon, etc. Anyone Play or Collect?12580

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering if anyone here played or collected any Trading Card Games and wanted to show off some of their collection.

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of MTG cards back in middle school but I didn’t really start playing until high school where I had an English teacher that played and a bunch of students and I would play in his class room during lunch time.

I was really into it for a few years into college (from about Mirrodin to Ravnica blocks for those that know what that means) but as my gaming circle dispersed I played less and less but I’ve kept most of my collection. I’m not sure I’d ever send any of these to be encapsulated though I haven’t priced any of my cards for a while so maybe some of them would be worth it.

These below are my MTG artist proofs. Basically each artist gets like 50 copies of any card their art appears on so you basically have to get them directly from the artist. One reason these are all signed (another being that, just like with comics, I like to get my stuff signed). They look identical to the final cards except that they don’t have art on the back side.

This one has a quick sketch on the back from the artist. I just noticed the 2006 date and felt old lol

Post 1 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't played MtG since the pandemic began.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I haven’t played regularly in years but I still have my decks just in case. I’m a bit behind on some features and additions, none of my decks use Planeswalkers, for example.

I probably favored black/green in my decks but used most colors in a variety of mixtures. Red is probably my least used
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I started collecting again after decades of not playing (my cards were stolen at a black lotus tournament). After I lost those I didn't have the heart or desire to start rebuying stuff.

After I became gainfully employed I began collecting Foglio cards - and that lead to me starting up collecting again. Mostly really old stuff. Only missing a few Foglio's. Eureka is one of them unfortunately.

I'd be interested in some Beta lighting bolts or Legends mana drains if anyone has any burning a hole in their collection... : )
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh I forgot to mention, after my Magic cards were taken, we did try out a different game, Shadow Fist. It was actually really great. But very few people were playing in Halifax and I don't think it really ever widely caught on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I used to play Pokémon with my kids when the card game came out. I would go buy a few boxes of boosters and we'd sit and open the packs then take the gloves off and battle it out on the dining room table.

I was looking through some boxes this past weekend and came across these that I pulled back in the day and tucked them away. I don't think they're worth much, but we had a lot of good times playing Pokémon.

Post 6 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts I’m not sure about all of them but the holo Charizard still goes for about $70-$100+

The standard Charizard maybe $20-$40. That’s not nothing
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
never played...my son did, so I have hundreds of cards thrown in a box somewhere, but doubt they're of any value. I have a buddy who was into some kind of magic game and I know he paid for his foundation to his house with his cards so I regret not getting into this stuff (but he's the same guy who found an x-men 1 at a yard sale a couple years ago and the guy wanted 12 cents for it..came back a 2.5 blue - some people just have a horseshoe up their... )
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I haven’t played regularly in years but I still have my decks just in case. I’m a bit behind on some features and additions, none of my decks use Planeswalkers, for example.

I probably favored black/green in my decks but used most colors in a variety of mixtures. Red is probably my least used

Planeswalkers have lost their luster since there's, like, 10 of each character.

I have all of the Jace ones, though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
A picture I found of the box with some of my decks. My deck boxes thematically matched the deck inside. The two wide boxes are special cards for alternate game types.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
A picture I found of the box with some of my decks. My deck boxes thematically matched the deck inside. The two wide boxes are special cards for alternate game types.

Same. I think I'm the only person in my group of (about) 10 who does this.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I did grab these when Hasbro did their first con a few yrs ago and it was only open to employees. No idea what they are but I figured if they were limited then it couldn't hurt to have em. Someone tell me they're worth 2 mil
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Watcher Those are really cool! No idea what they’re worth but I do know MTG has done more cross-overs in recent years. I think it was earlier this year that they released a few Godzilla cards in a recent set and some of those are expensive!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I did grab these when Hasbro did their first con a few yrs ago and it was only open to employees. No idea what they are but I figured if they were limited then it couldn't hurt to have em. Someone tell me they're worth 2 mil

Those are from Unsanctioned, I think.

They are illegal in almost all formats lol. Still cool!
Post 14 IP   flag post
They’re not from Unsanctioned. You can tell because they don’t have the Unsanctioned Set Icon. Unsanctioned was a boxed set with only like 16 new cards. These were convention promos for Hanscon. The set icon is a Hasbro H

@Watcher Looks like the complete box goes for like $220 or so online
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
They’re not from Unsanctioned. You can tell because they don’t have the Unsanctioned Set Icon. Unsanctioned was a boxed set with only like 16 new cards. These were convention promos for Hanscon

@Watcher Looks like the complete box goes for like $220 or so online

Sword of Dungeons and Dragons is. I mentioned this just so that it's known they're unplayable. Play-ability typically impacts "value".
Post 16 IP   flag post
Individually, sure, but the value for promo sets like this aren’t necessarily driven by playability
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
My brother has thousands of pokemon

https://www.instagram.com/trainer_jay92/?hl=en
Post 18 IP   flag post
Nice! I played Pokemon for a while when it came out and was one of the first ones playing it at my middle school. I didn’t stick with it too long. I wanna say maybe up to the Team Rocket set? I still have my cards. Nothing really exceptional that I am aware of but I did like to collect the early promo cards. Translating the Ancient Mew card was fun
Post 19 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I played magic the gathering back in the day. Sold off my cards years ago. Shame really as they are worth way more now. But I made a profit off it so all is well.
Cards I owned were a black lotus. 4 moxes. Did have 5 but traded away the emerald for a library of Alexander. We Nick named that card the library of I win. And a bunch of other cards. Had a full set of dual lands ect. Only kept one MTG card. Worth very little. A Alpha fire ball signed by mark tedin. When I get back home from work I'll take a pic and post it
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I played magic the gathering back in the day. Sold off my cards years ago. Shame really as they are worth way more now. But I made a profit off it so all is well.
Cards I owned were a black lotus. 4 moxes. Did have 5 but traded away the emerald for a library of Alexander. We Nick named that card the library of I win. And a bunch of other cards. Had a full set of dual lands ect. Only kept one MTG card. Worth very little. A Alpha fire ball signed by mark tedin. When I get back home from work I'll take a pic and post it

Holy s^&*.

I have all of the Power 9 fakes. Lotus Bloom, Ancestral Vision, Time Reversal, Time Warp, etc. I have a U "Time Control" deck.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Looking around I own just 2 MTG cards. As I said I use to own a black lotus. 4 moxes. And I had a time walk and a time twister. Never owned a ancestral recall. Apart from the ancestral I owned pretty much every card up to ice age. Did at one time owned a perfect condition alpha mox Ruby. But traded that for 2 juzam jinns and a thunder spirit.

My alpha fireball signed by Mark Tedin

And a revised channel.

When I first was playing I had a possible first turn kill deck which was the cheese deck.

First turn if I started first and drew the right cards.

I'd play a mountain. A black lotus. Sacrifice the black lotus for 3 green Mana cast channel. Tap the mountain to start a fireball. Channel 19 life into the fireball and the extra green Mana from the lotus to do a 20 point fireball on my opponent Killing them before they had their turn.
This was way before force of will to counter from the hand.

Type 2 tournaments started. Everyone was playing the balance deck with millstones.

I made a 4th turn kill goblin deck.
1st turn play a black vise so opponent takes damage for cards in hand.
2nd turn play a ankk of Mishra all players take 2 damage every time they play a land.
3rd turn play a goblin balloon brigade and lightning bolt my opponent for 3 damage.
4th turn play goblin granade sacrifice the goblin balloon brigade for 5 damage and cast the fork spell to duplicate it for another 5 damage. Opponent has now taken 20 damage.

Then I started to play fun decks like the illusion of grandeur deck.

I'd cast Eureka where players can play permanents for free for one turn.
I'd play the enchantment Lich where my life points go to zero. Every time I gain a life I draw a card and Everytime I lose a life I remove a permanent in play. When lich leaves play I lose.
With Eureka I play lich then illusions of grandeur.
Lich comes into effect I'm on zero life. Then illusions of grandeur comes into effect and I gain 20 life so I draw 20 cards. Then I play Eureka again and drop my hand and play another illusion and draw another 20 cards and play Eureka again and drop my hand into play including 4 lords of the pit and I have coordinate crossroads where all creatures attack the turn they are summoned and attack my opponent with my flying 7/7 trample creatures.
The deck had 3 Eureka 2 lich 4 lords of the pit 4 counter spells. 4 Mana drains. 2 force of wills. 4 swords to plowshares. Balance. Lotus, 4 moxes, time walk, time twister, brain geisier and duel lands except mountains.

All this happened in one turn lol
Should of seen the faces of my opponents.
Here I was playing solitaire with my deck having a turn that takes 5 to 10 minutes then wiping them out.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Force of Will keeps Vintage alive almost single-handed. I have a play-set of the reprint in my "Stormbreaker" Jace/Illusion deck.

Nicknamed it "Stormbreaker", as I had to also put in a play-set of Mental Misstep, because this one d-bag (in our casual group) built a UR storm deck.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@southerncross Awesome! I have several decks but I rarely built them for tournament play because I always found the predictability of a tournament deck incredibly boring to play. My decks mostly included two or three or so co-related strategies (and usually 65 cards instead of the normal 60) so the deck could play incredibly differently each time (or completely fizzle and be useless), but that was the fun of it for me.

I did have a few nasty combos in some decks though, again not necessarily to win but for fun (for me, at least). One deck had various methods of turning target land into an artifact or creature, which I would target an opponent’s basic land then either Splinter or Eradicate it, which removes it from the game then lets you search its controller’s hand, graveyard, and library for any copies of that card and remove them from the game. Pull it off early enough and it makes the opponent’s deck unplayable and watching the morale drain on their face is delicious.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Oh that illusions of grandeur deck was the most fun deck to play. You needed the eureka to get the lich enchantment out as lich cost 4 black mana. And the illusions of grandeur where you gained 20 life had a bad upkeep. Both cards would rank 2 stars out of 4 for playability. But put together they were fun.
Especially having a turn and drawing my whole deck into my hand was absurd.
I even went as far as having a can't remember the artifact. But there was one where if you sacrificed a land you gain 2 life. So I'd sacrifice land to draw 2 cards. So I was able to draw all my cards that the grandeur didn't.
As I said it was fun. Turning the game into a solitaire affair. Also I had a green enchantment I can't remember the name where you can put more land into play at a cost of 1 life. With lich you lose a permanent so Id put a tapped mox into the grave yard.

I remember in one tournament a player used jesters cap and removed my lords of the pit. I only had 3 in the deck so I couldn't kill him.
I got my combo off and had it so I could time twister shuffle my hand then cast regrowth get the time twister back and shuffle my hand again. And repeatedly did this and had the my turn last over 20 minutes till time ran out at the tournament.
My opponent was not amused lol
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
...I did have a few nasty combos in some decks though, again not necessarily to win but for fun (for me, at least). One deck had various methods of turning target land into an artifact or creature, which I would target an opponent’s basic land then either Splinter or Eradicate it, which removes it from the game then lets you search its controller’s hand, graveyard, and library for any copies of that card and remove them from the game. Pull it off early enough and it makes the opponent’s deck unplayable and watching the morale drain on their face is delicious.

I can appreciate certain combos that are "insta-win" as long as they're "fun". Storm infinite damage is not fun - especially if it's the only reason said deck exists. The dude would just quit if his draw combo didn't yield a win by Turn 5 or so.

I have some very deadly decks, but "big combo win" is only like 1 of 5 conditions to the decks' play-ability. Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, Damnation + Liliana Vess, etc. 1-dimensional decks are boring IMO.

Also, F U for running land destruction LOL. Our casual group would team up against that kind of strategy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I hope you MTG players have gotten to playing smartly. Remember it's a cross between bridge and poker.
Here are a couple of smart strategies to use.
If your deck runs on a total of 6 Mana then just don't throw more land down.
I have played games where my opponent sees me with 4 to 5 cards in hand and they think I'm sitting on spells when I'm sitting on a hand full of land.
Also when you draw almost never play that card straight away before putting that card into your hand first.
You draw a land and drop it into play you just let your opponent know what you just drew.
Nothing like having a hand full of land and your opponent plays a creature you immediately place your hand into your land as if you're going to instantly destroy it then look at your hand then the playing surface and withdraw your hand.
Giving your opponent the impression you can kill their creature.
They may double think next turn on playing their bigger creature thinking you have a card to destroy it and are saving the spell for that.
While in reality you have a hand full of drek land.
When you have them thinking it and you draw a creature kill spell play it immediately from the draw letting them know you just drew the creature kill card and still have that imaginary one sitting in your hand.
Do this also with permission decks with counter spells and always have the mana untapped ready to counter when you have no counter spells.
They cast spells you immediately go for your land in play then after a few seconds withdraw as if changing your mind waiting for a bigger threat.
Bluffing can make you opponent stall a couple of turns and when they called your bluff you have top decked the spells you needed to make your bluff a reality.

So as you can tell I was an annoying player to play against.

Many times I'd finish the round and my opponent would ask what I had in my hand and I'd show them it was all land.

Had such a fun time playing MTG. Deck construction. Spell curve and Mana curve adjustment. And the poker and bluff strategies I'd use. 😀
Post 27 IP   flag post
Found an image of my MTG encyclopedia with a bunch of small sketches from MTG artists
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
My son was into pokemon cards 4-5 years ago. He is 16 now and I think beyond the cards now. I know he still has quite a few cards somewhere in that place he calls a room.

Me... My favorite card Game came from packs of 1971 Topps Football cards.

The Field was on the back of the insert posters

Of coarse the 71 Topps Football cards were also a favorite of ours as kids

Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I hope you MTG players have gotten to playing smartly. Remember it's a cross between bridge and poker.
Here are a couple of smart strategies to use.
If your deck runs on a total of 6 Mana then just don't throw more land down.
I have played games where my opponent sees me with 4 to 5 cards in hand and they think I'm sitting on spells when I'm sitting on a hand full of land.
Also when you draw almost never play that card straight away before putting that card into your hand first.
You draw a land and drop it into play you just let your opponent know what you just drew.
Nothing like having a hand full of land and your opponent plays a creature you immediately place your hand into your land as if you're going to instantly destroy it then look at your hand then the playing surface and withdraw your hand.
Giving your opponent the impression you can kill their creature.
They may double think next turn on playing their bigger creature thinking you have a card to destroy it and are saving the spell for that.
While in reality you have a hand full of drek land.
When you have them thinking it and you draw a creature kill spell play it immediately from the draw letting them know you just drew the creature kill card and still have that imaginary one sitting in your hand.
Do this also with permission decks with counter spells and always have the mana untapped ready to counter when you have no counter spells.
They cast spells you immediately go for your land in play then after a few seconds withdraw as if changing your mind waiting for a bigger threat.

Bluffing can make you opponent stall a couple of turns and when they called your bluff you have top decked the spells you needed to make your bluff a reality.

So as you can tell I was an annoying player to play against.

Many times I'd finish the round and my opponent would ask what I had in my hand and I'd show them it was all land.

Had such a fun time playing MTG. Deck construction. Spell curve and Mana curve adjustment. And the poker and bluff strategies I'd use. 😀

When I play Blue, the table looks at me whenever a spell is cast, LOL. It's a combination of respect, and humor of the situation.

I love playing Emperor and being able to Time Stop the opposing leader. Power move.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600811 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?