Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Online stores - did sales hit a brick wall this week?12565

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
As many of y'all know, I sell comics via MyComicShop. Not as my main income, but I've accelerated building up stock since the coronavirus hit. I have about 200 slabs on sale currently, and another 200-250 on the way in various stages of getting pressed or graded.

The last couple of months have been strong on sales ... just under one per day, on average. That's great for me. But, oddly, my last sale was Monday, I think. Maybe too soon to tell, but did anyone else suddenly hit a brick wall this week, in terms of sales? (The first week without the UI Covid supplemental.) I'm thinking the effect of this UI benefit may have been a lot more powerful than I previously thought.

But maybe it's just random. I just don't have that many slabs for sale.

For those who sell a lot more than me, have you noticed a drop-off?
Post 1 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Book sales have been off the chain. I can attest for that for some of my escapades lately. I'm not really a seller either. At some point it had to change.

Is it me or is it ironic the unemployment bonus ended?
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Ironic?

I would say it was expected... not like they had months to figure it out before everyone got screwed.....
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I have read that some sports card sellers are experiencing similar issues.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
I work for one of the major guitar string manufacturers, and we’ve noticed the same thing. Sales have been unreal until this week.

As mentioned, the unemployment benefits are definitely affecting everything right now.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Is it maybe because a bunch of free money just dried up and people are beginning to sober up and come to their senses?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
Is it maybe because a bunch of free money just dried up and people are beginning to sober up and come to their senses?

Sober up? yes.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I did my bender purchasing in earl April!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That and people didn't expect a 2nd wave of the virus to come this soon. I'm sure a lot of those people spending their often times inflated unemployment wages expected things to be somewhat back to normal by now. I do expect keys to continue selling for around the same amount as they are now. There are still a lot of people out there that work remotely, haven't lost their job or taken a pay cut, and don't have bars, vacations, entertainment, etc. to spend their money on.

@Tedsaid, your post also reminded me to revise my consignment prices and I just happened to sell a lower value slab within an hour of doing so.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I sent 40 slabs to MCS, and I'm averaging about one per week which is fine since it's stuff I was tired of not moving on my own. I consign it and some of it starts to sell. Go figure. My ebay sales are about par for the course 6-10 per month. Granted, I'm just selling stuff that I don't want anymore so the demand is hit and miss. My sales are normal though.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
i experienced a preetty big drop in sales last july/aug then tjings started picking back up in sept. I am seeing the same patern developing i think....hope.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I sold 3 prints yesterday including a numbered and signed print. That was a nice sale. I did have to take everything down a few weeks ago due to "health reasons"
It was tough but I recovered well. It was nice to put about 60 items back up for sale.I am hoping to put more books and prints up over the weekend. Good luck with the sales guys.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I was kind of wondering if we still had that special sight for that special topic? I could not find it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips if it’s what I think it is; it was removed a while ago.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I sold 3 prints yesterday including a numbered and signed print. That was a nice sale. I did have to take everything down a few weeks ago due to "health reasons"
It was tough but I recovered well. It was nice to put about 60 items back up for sale.I am hoping to put more books and prints up over the weekend. Good luck with the sales guys.

I'm glad you are feeling better!

Quote:
I was kind of wondering if we still had that special sight for that special topic? I could not find it.

What site/topic?
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Is this it? clickable text
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Yes.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes.

Oh, I get it now. You can say "coronavirus" and/or mention it in passing; you just can't talk about it directly. Or get sidetracked into a debate on, say, Covid-19 unemployment insurance. At least, if I'm understanding the rules properly. But the main discussion thread, the "one and only" was shut down.

Was that what you were sick with? I don't know anyone who has had it, not even on a forum like this one.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not to be too much of a predator/dick or anything but I've been hoping for sales to drop and for people to get a little desperate and list some of the keys on my list so I could pick them up at a discount.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
my Ebay sales have remained steady. granted I don't sell in large volume but from my perspective comix as a whole are worth more now than ever. last time the economy took a dive I was buying stuff dirt cheap. back in 2009/10 I got AVENGERS 5-10 VG-FN for $100 total on Ebay. stuff that is $1 now could still be $100 tomorrow with the next MCU announcement (or even rumor). hope it remains so....
Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid my sales have slowed but I’ve also become conditioned to price things higher than I ever did before...you might find that to be the case for yourself as well.
I’m guessing that if the Federal UI bonus returns at all it will be less, maybe a matching bonus to states that choose to offer a bonus payment. Keep in mind UI is really not a Federal thing to begin with...those payments have always been received and distributed by the states if I understand it correctly. When it comes to individuals mostly the Federal government just steps in from time to time to give out money that the country never actually intends to repay. It seems very likely though that there will be another round of Federal stimulus checks soon, so I would be patient and wait for that to play out before dropping prices.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes.

Oh, I get it now. You can say "coronavirus" and/or mention it in passing; you just can't talk about it directly. Or get sidetracked into a debate on, say, Covid-19 unemployment insurance. At least, if I'm understanding the rules properly. But the main discussion thread, the "one and only" was shut down.

Was that what you were sick with? I don't know anyone who has had it, not even on a forum like this one.

Yes I had it and tested positive. It was very challenging both physically and mentally. I had a milder case and did not have to get hospitalized. I had almost every symptom that comes with it.I kept myself isolated in my bedroom for 2 weeks.I watched way too much TV.I did not have any strength to do any type of computer work from home even though I tried. Sometimes I get a little fatigued still especially if I overdo it. I have to pace myself. Luckily the rest of my family did not get it and they have all been healthy. I have a little different outlook on life now and do not take things for granted. Happy comic book collecting out there to all my forum friends.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear about that, Brian. I know one person who had it and it was a rough go for her as well. I'm glad you're doing much better and that the family is healthy. Take care
Post 24 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Not to be too much of a predator/dick.

Awww man what is wrong with me???

Here i am reading your post and BAM, an image pops into my head that nobody should ever see! Here is to hoping no artest does a Predator nude cover.
Post 25 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
“Predator dick, pops into my head, naked cover” should never be used in the same paragraph. Ever ever.

Perhaps sales are dipping because people are busy buying stuff for their kids for back to school?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
In general, don't sales fall during the summer anyway? People are outside more. It picks back up during the holidays.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Birthday @EbaySeller! Hope you have a great one!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
My sales have picked up this week, actually. Mostly small stuff, and nothing more than $300, but I've had eight or nine sales over the last week and a half.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
No drop off yet. Sales this week included a copy of TTA # 27.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600899 249 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?