Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestionsRaw Comics For SaleSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Grading12453

Collector hogan36 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone,

I need your opinion on this book. What grade would you all give this book with the corner damage?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
With everything else good. 8.5
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Elvinv Thanks very much!
Post 3 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
That color chipping is tiny and often considering a manufacturing defect, similar to bindery tears.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
That color chipping is tiny and often considering a manufacturing defect, similar to bindery tears.

What he said, except 9.6/9.8
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
It's all <cough, choke> subjective
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you all for your comments.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like an 8.0 to me. Hard to tell with the glare.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@MrNotSoNice Well, I'm getting different opinions. I would be waisting time and money if I sent this off to have it graded. I would be disappointed if it came back an 8.0. Thanks.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Grade screen it and see what happens.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogan36
@MrNotSoNice Well, I'm getting different opinions. I would be waisting time and money if I sent this off to have it graded. I would be disappointed if it came back an 8.0. Thanks.

Did someone sign the cover? That will impact the grade, unless you send it in for Signature Verification and it passes. But it may be, you don't want to get this graded just for that reason.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ok I will do it and keep y'all posted.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid No, it came with COA.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogan36
@Tedsaid No, it came with COA.

The COA won't get you a yellow label, unfortunately. At CGC it will just detract from the grade and be listed as something like "[name] written on cover in ink," I think. At CBCS you can send in for signature verification to get a verified yellow label.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Wow !! Thank you for this important info & Thank God for this forum and the knowledge people on this forum because I did not know that. I'll be during my business to CBC for now on.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@hogan36 Since this book has 2 signatures, I would strategize carefully. If you aren't careful you could sink a lot of money into a disappointing result. I think you really need both signatures to verify in order for slabbing to make sense. I would start by using the BAS autograph pre-screen for $10 per signature to get an idea first if they are likely to pass verification:

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
@hogan36 Since this book has 2 signatures, I would strategize carefully. If you aren't careful you could sink a lot of money into a disappointing result. I think you really need both signatures to verify in order for slabbing to make sense. I would start by using the BAS autograph pre-screen for $10 per signature to get an idea first if they are likely to pass verification:

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/

@hogan36 Just to clarify, I don't believe the COA helps at CBCS either. But CBCS has partnered with a signature verification service that @EbaySeller mentioned. That is, they have a database of known signatures for creators that they will compare your signatures to. If they can make a match based on these comparisons then the signatures will be "verified."

I'm pretty sure that verification process is out of CBCS's hands and the COA won't help, so you might as well keep it. (But check this yourself before sending it in, as I haven't dealt with this issue personally.)

Both CGC and CBCS have "witnessed" signatures, where an Authorized Witness literally watches the creator sign the comic. Previously, only witnessed signatures would get a yellow label, at either company. A few years ago, CBCS introduced the signature verification process and gave those comics a red label, to distinguish between "verified" and "witnessed." However, they recently decided it was not necessary to have a different color, since they are both signatures. Therefore, "verified" now get a yellow label, too, with the verification noted on the label in text.

Since your comic signatures were not witnessed by a CBCS AW, they will have to be verified. If they are verified, they won't count against the grade as writing on the cover.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks, that sounds good . Least I know if the signatures can be verified and won't count against me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
598074 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?