Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Do C.O.A's not count as proof?12421

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@Duece411, you’re good man. Most of us play nice. Don’t be dissuaded from posting or asking questions, how else do we learn and improve?
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Sheesh!

Guy disappears for few weeks and the whole form goes Lord of the flies over COA!

But, seriously, I’ve wondered the same thing myself, and it seems they have limited value.

If you keep the book, then it proves you were there and it was legit, but if you’re getting headed or selling then it seems like having it doesn’t add much value.

I’m sure there are exceptions.

Like with anything, get it if you want it, but don’t count on it giving you max value or anything.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@Duece411 You asked a solid question. It wasn't your fault it turned into a dumpster fire.

@GAC No it isn't. I'll take some jpgs of some of my autographs and post them in another thread. Some of the other stuff I have and what jumps into my head - I've been collecting this stuff since the late 1980's
1) Jimmy Page
2) Robert Plant
3) John Paul Jones
4) David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Michael Anthony on an album.
5) David Lee Roth on solo stuff
6) Blondie entire band on a poster
7) AC/DC entire band on a lithograph
8) Roger Waters on a bass pick guard
9) Eddie Van Halen on a guitar
10) Rush entire band on a lithograph
11) All of the Rolling Stones
12) Original KISS members on a drumhead
13) Original Black Sabbath members on a drumhead
14) 3 of the 4 Doors
15) All the Motley Crue members on a drumhead
16) Both the original members and the current line up of Judas Priest on 2 albums
17) Glenn Fry on a CD
18) All the guys from ZZ Top on a CD
19) All the guys from Iron Maiden on a photo
20) The original line-up of Guns and Roses on a photo
21) Willie Nelson on a guitar pick guard
22) Complete set of Topps Heavy Metal signed cards. What some of those cards go for now blows my mind. Most were thrown out as people didn't want them. It took a long time for my Axl Rose mail-in card to go through the redemption process to get the signed one.

On the sports side I have a bunch of signed jerseys. All witnessed.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
@Duece411 You asked a solid question. It wasn't your fault it turned into a dumpster fire.

@GAC No it isn't. I'll take some jpgs of some of my autographs and post them in another thread. Some of the other stuff I have and what jumps into my head - I've been collecting this stuff since the late 1980's
1) Jimmy Page
2) Robert Plant
3) John Paul Jones
4) David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Michael Anthony on an album.
14) 3 of the 4 Doors
16) Both the original members and the current line up of Judas Priest on 2 albums
17) Glenn Fry on a CD
22) Complete set of Topps Heavy Metal signed cards. What some of those cards go for now blows my mind. Most were thrown out as people didn't want them. It took a long time for my Axl Rose mail-in card to go through the redemption process to get the signed one.

I'd give my %$%&* for #10 and #13
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
Duece411-

Sorry it turned out that way for you, but just because VSP couldn't verify it doesn't mean you're out of luck. Your signed comic could still be legit and could still hold a lot of value if it has an "authentic Excelsior approved" Stan Lee hologram sticker on it.

Stan's signature got very erratic in the last few years of his life, making verification much more difficult. The surest way to know it's real is a CGC or CBCS yellow label signed Stan Lee. But barring that, an "authentic Excelsior approved" hologram isn't bad either.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eee91
Duece411-

Sorry it turned out that way for you, but just because VSP couldn't verify it doesn't mean you're out of luck. Your signed comic could still be legit and could still hold a lot of value if it has an "authentic Excelsior approved" Stan Lee hologram sticker on it.

Stan's signature got very erratic in the last few years of his life, making verification much more difficult. The surest way to know it's real is a CGC or CBCS yellow label signed Stan Lee. But barring that, an "authentic Excelsior approved" hologram isn't bad either.

Good to see you EE, hope you are well. I was wondering if you were watching this topic. It seems like verifying stan lee signatures is about as problematic as Kirbys anymore.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector Duece411 private msg quote post Address this user
Ok so did some researching into this and I messaged a guy hopefully I can get some help here couse he sells C.O.A's all day ill keep you guys in the loop!
Post 57 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

1) Jimmy Page
2) Robert Plant
3) John Paul Jones
14) 3 of the 4 Doors
17) Glenn Fry on a CD

Awesome signatures!!! I'd love to see these!! Start up a new thread. Can't wait to see them!!
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duece411

Slow down, Duece411. Not all COAs are the same. As people have said in the thread, many are worthless and easily faked.

But the ones you posted are ones that were signed with Excelsior Collectibles - formerly Stan Lee Collectibles, formerly Anastasia Collectibles. Those are the ones that come with the Stan Lee hologram sticker. Not the same as some guy printing out a fake COA off his printer.

Even though your signed book didn't pass VSP, if it has the hologram, it's most likely real and will most likely retain its value.

Lemme copy/paste from an old post-

Only three safe ways to buy a Stan Lee signed book.

1. Yellow label CGC or CBCS. The most expensive, but the safest.
2. Red label verified CBCS.
3. Raw comics with a Stan Lee Collectibles/Excelsior hologram sticker. Those stickers don't come off, so if you get the comic book graded, it'll get knocked down because of it. But if you just want a raw signed Stan Lee comic for cheap, look for those.

Other types of authentication or PGX or certificates of authenticity, you're taking a big chance that the sig is fake.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Good to see you EE, hope you are well. I was wondering if you were watching this topic. It seems like verifying stan lee signatures is about as problematic as Kirbys anymore.

Thanks, Darkseid. All good here - hope all is well with you.

I can cut people slack in trying to verify Stan Lee sigs - like you said, it's gotta be problematic. The last few years of his life, his signatures were all over the place. I've seen Stan Lee sigs where I think, "That's the worst fake I've ever seen... wait, it's a CGC/CBCS yellow label. SOMEONE WITNESSED THAT???"
Post 60 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:

1) Jimmy Page
2) Robert Plant
3) John Paul Jones
14) 3 of the 4 Doors
17) Glenn Fry on a CD

I'd give my %$%&* for #10 and #13

10 and 13 would be my picks as well.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Thread is cleaned up, let's keep it civil.
Post 62 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Thank you!
Post 63 IP   flag post
So I asked the guy and here is what he said which makes alot of sense!
Post 64 IP   flag post
Think ill be getting this book re slabed with out the grade and keeping the certificate of authentication...
Works for me!
Post 65 IP   flag post
@Duece411 good call!!
Post 66 IP   flag post
The book finally came back, here it is

Post 67 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I can see how it didn't pass. It doesn't even resemble the pre-printed signature on the sticker.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I was just in awe when I got it back didnt expect for this being first time and all think if I buy another book like this I'm cool with it as long as it has sticker on it and we'll just get it slabbed all is good guys!
Post 69 IP   flag post
Lesson learned!
Post 70 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, it’s definitely a rough example. I do love that issue though, I have a graded copy myself
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone on here submitted books for VSP that they personally witnessed the signature yet it was unverifiable by BAS?
Post 72 IP   flag post
@Murmonster Yes.
Post 73 IP   flag post
@DrWatson can I ask what your track record is?
Post 74 IP   flag post
Oh, it wasn't me, but we do have this one guy who only posts when someone's books fail a VSP. The handful that I have submitted have all passed.
Post 75 IP   flag post
@DrWatson OK that's good to know thanks.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Duece411 Now that I see the sticker serving as COA, I can better understand your frustration. If ever there was a COA that should mean something, this would be a it. A Permanent sticker from the Stan Lee company that authorizes Stan Lee autographs. But even the sticker could be a fake I guess is just the reality of it. I do wonder though if the sticker would have hurt the grade at all if the autograph were able to be verified...or would it have been considered a part of the autograph. My best guess is that it would not be considered part of the autograph and would still impact the grade...it's not like Stan Lee personally put the sticker on the book as a part of signing it.
Post 77 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 1/1 on VSP but it's a Mark Bagley signature that probably doesn't get forged too often. Does anyone know of the McFarlane signature w/web stamp failing verification? I still don't think that stamp should count against the grade.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Does anyone know of the McFarlane signature w/web stamp failing verification? I still don't think that stamp should count against the grade

@flanders I would agree if he carried the stamp with him and did it as a regular part of his signing of a comic book. But since that's not the case and the stamp signifies the comic book store, not the artist, I have to disagree. I would think it has to be treated the same as any stamp put on a book by any comic store.
Post 79 IP   flag post
601333 79 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?