Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Verified now yellow labels?12314

Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
Label color doesn't matter to me nor does the resale value

Honestly, I had not even considered that a yellow label will increase the value of the signatures that I get verified, by letting me trick and fool people.
@mediaslave is it possible that's what you are afraid of? Not that CBCS will fool and trick people, but that their actions might influence market perceptions about verified signatures that you feel should be set in stone?

Yeah that it, you caught me. NEvermind the boxes and boxes of signed raws that I could now flip with a yellow label for higher than a red, its all my diabolical plan to keep the market exactly where it is.

Honestly, man you gotta step back from your CBCS fanboy position and look at this from another viewpoint. You said that you hadn't considered that a yellow label will increase sales value? If you can't even recognize that blatant angle, I think you might wanna tap out.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave
Quote:
Quote:
Label color doesn't matter to me nor does the resale value

Honestly, I had not even considered that a yellow label will increase the value of the signatures that I get verified, by letting me trick and fool people.
@mediaslave is it possible that's what you are afraid of? Not that CBCS will fool and trick people, but that their actions might influence market perceptions about verified signatures that you feel should be set in stone?

Yeah that it, you caught me. NEvermind the boxes and boxes of signed raws that I could now flip with a yellow label for higher than a red, its all my diabolical plan to keep the market exactly where it is.

Honestly, man you gotta step back from your CBCS fanboy position and look at this from another viewpoint. You said that you hadn't considered that a yellow label will increase sales value? If you can't even recognize that blatant angle, I think you might wanna tap out.

I have more CGC signed books than cbcs, so cry fanboy some where else or get a better comeback to invalidate others opinions
Post 177 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think you might wanna tap out.

It's been amusing, but I'm tapping. At least until I have a few beers and see something later tonight that inspires me to return to the fray.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
There is one thing I have been WAITING for someone to bring up. @mediaslave if I follow your thinking, you are saying that now you have to ask to see a CBCS book at a con to see if it is witnessed or verified because they are both yellow. Before, you could tell the difference at a glance, red or yellow. Unless you are searching strictly for verified signatures, this change should not be a problem. Here's why.

If you are looking for a witnessed signature, you are looking for a yellow label. If you see a yellow labelled slab, you will need to read the label to see who signed it. It may not be signed by the person you want. Unless you strictly buy huge black marker scribbled Stan Lee signatures that you can identify from across a room, you will need to at least get close enough to read the signature. If you are close enough to read a signature, you are close enough to read the label. Your argument about it taking you longer doesn't hold up.

I can see if you are looking strictly for verified signatures where this could be an issue, but I don't see you saying that.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
If you are looking for a witnessed signature, you are looking for a yellow label. If you see a yellow labelled slab, you will need to read the label to see who signed it. It may not be signed by the person you want.

Brilliant @Jesse_O . Checkmate. I bow to the master.
For the record, I'm still tapped out.
Post 180 IP   flag post

Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
I'm glad to see the yellow labels for simply aesthetic purposes. I'm not a reseller, merely a collector.

Now that I've got those nice 4-panel display frames for some of my graded books, I don't have to mix up red, yellow and blue and will just have frames of signed books and frames of unsigned books.

I prefer verified and "unwitnessed" signatures because it means the comic was well-loved and belonged to someone who just got a signature for the pure love of the book - and to me, that's part of the fun of collecting.

Sure, people will try to scam - but that's why CBCS has Beckett authenticators making their best professional efforts to ensure authenticity.
Post 181 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
For me it comes down to the yellow is more aesthetically pleasing than red.
Post 182 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm glad @Jesse_O put the final nail in the coffin and this conversation can now end. Now I'm just waiting for "sigs" to be officially eliminated before sending any red labels to be reholdered. Hopefully this occurs soon.
Post 183 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I'm glad @Jesse_O put the final nail in the coffin and this conversation can now end. Now I'm just waiting for "sigs" to be officially eliminated before sending any red labels to be reholdered. Hopefully this occurs soon.

I doubt I delivered the final nail, but I agree with you totally on the "sigs".
Post 184 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I'm glad @Jesse_O put the final nail in the coffin and this conversation can now end

If @Jesse_O had locked the thread after delivering the Kill Shot...that would have been the ultimate Mic Drop. A true "Me boss, You not" moment.
Post 185 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
If you are looking for a witnessed signature, you are looking for a yellow label. If you see a yellow labelled slab, you will need to read the label to see who signed it. It may not be signed by the person you want.

Yeah no. Sorry man. Not even close to checkmate for a number of reasons.

First, I only go after books that I like, not just random books. If that's the case, I know who worked on them. And in that case, I can almost always recognize the signature from 10 feet easy.

In the rare, rare case that I can't recognize the signature (Kirkham threw me for a bit, so did Jason Shawn Alexander), then I would have to look at the label. But I'll be honest, that hasn't happened to me yet, which I chalk solely up to the way I buy things. Thats entirely a personal thing though, not everybody buys the way I do.

So no, I wouldn't have to ask to see anything. Now I do though, because I want witnessed books only.
Post 186 IP   flag post
Quote:

If you think that's brilliant, no more beer for you tonight
Post 187 IP   flag post
Quote:

I have more CGC signed books than cbcs, so cry fanboy some where else or get a better comeback to invalidate others opinions

I was responding to ebayguy, not you. My response doesn't even make sense if it was directed at you.
Post 188 IP   flag post
Quote:
So no, I wouldn't have to ask to see anything. Now I do though, because I want witnessed books only.

In Seattle they have a famous Fish Market where the workers toss the large fish across the room to each other. I'm starting to imagine that's what your convention experience looks like,lol. You yell "I'll take the Yellow Kirby" and they sling it over the crowd to you. Honestly, I can't remember ever buying a slab at a convention that I hadn't held and seen up close. I'm thinking Ebay purchases by cellphone might be a better tact for your argument.
Post 189 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
There is one thing I have been WAITING for someone to bring up. @mediaslave if I follow your thinking, you are saying that now you have to ask to see a CBCS book at a con to see if it is witnessed or verified because they are both yellow. Before, you could tell the difference at a glance, red or yellow. Unless you are searching strictly for verified signatures, this change should not be a problem. Here's why.

If you are looking for a witnessed signature, you are looking for a yellow label. If you see a yellow labelled slab, you will need to read the label to see who signed it. It may not be signed by the person you want. Unless you strictly buy huge black marker scribbled Stan Lee signatures that you can identify from across a room, you will need to at least get close enough to read the signature. If you are close enough to read a signature, you are close enough to read the label. Your argument about it taking you longer doesn't hold up.

I can see if you are looking strictly for verified signatures where this could be an issue, but I don't see you saying that.
owned. There it is
Post 190 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

In Seattle they have a famous Fish Market where the workers toss the large fish across the room to each other. I'm starting to imagine that's what your convention experience looks like,lol. You yell "I'll take the Yellow Kirby" and they sling it over the crowd to you. Honestly, I can't remember ever buying a slab at a convention that I hadn't held and seen up close. I'm thinking Ebay purchases by cellphone might be a better tact for your argument.
this...I mean for real. Who in hell drops serious folding money based on seeing books from ten feet out..

Aside from and nevermind I see dealers doing a simple fix.
This rack is witnessed. This one is verified. So even simpler and faster because now they arent all mixed ...honestly dealers aren't this stupid. They will find a simple fix like the one I offered. Tempest in a teapot
Post 191 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm thinking you're drunk. Or at least, I hope you are. Your responses are getting worse and worse.

Let me lay out the visuals. I'll go slow.

1. Go to booth.
2. Look at wall of books.
3. Identify books I like.
4. Discount low grades
5. Ask to see ones I actually want.
Post 192 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm thinking you're drunk. Or at least, I hope you are. Your responses are getting worse and worse.

Let me lay out the visuals. I'll go slow.

1. Go to booth.
2. Look at wall of books.
3. Identify books I like.
4. Discount low grades
5. Ask to see ones I actually want.

I prefer my version of the story. But for the record, only halfway through a Bud Light at the moment.
Post 193 IP   flag post
Quote:
I prefer my version of the story. But for the record, only halfway through a Bud Light at the moment.

Yours sound more fun tbh.

Bud light tho...unless you're 4 that's never gonna put you down.
Post 194 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Jesse is usually one jump ahead of checker players too.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Unless you strictly buy huge black marker scribbled Stan Lee signatures that you can identify from across a room, you will need to at least get close enough to read the signature. If you are close enough to read a signature, you are close enough to read the label.

In case you're just dissing Stan Lee SS Collectors...
I can read every signature. I can't read the label.

Post 196 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
I mean this in the nicest of ways, but if your method of increasing sales and visibility was by confusing the customer and trying to sneak things past them, then the problem isn't the design and marketing team.

I promise this is the last time I will run in this circle, but no customer that pays money to CBCS is going to be fooled by this. This is the flaw in your Mercedes analogy. You're saying that Mercedes is trying to fool their direct customer in the showroom. With CBCS you're not even arguing that. What you're arguing is equal to saying Mercedes is trying to fool the second guy...the one who buys the car used. I totally disagree but even if I agreed...whatever.

FTR, my concern isn't CBCS trying to trick anyone, but the CBCS customer trying to trick someone.

Keep in mind the participants on this forum make up a TINY percentage of CBCS customers.

The scum and villainy out there is growing, and I have a real concern (more for new collectors, not myself) that some confusion might be manufactured. Any concern for myself is limited to time spent at a booth. IF the dealer mixes them together, I'll treat them as I would an eBay keyword spammer, and if they separate them, GREAT! I'll check them out. Online listings (minus keyword spamming) shouldn't be an issue.

It isn't at all out of the question to think true scammers aren't going to try to work this to their advantage. How severe, if at all, remains to be seen.
Post 197 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think all this really comes down to is having to read the label. It was easier to discern witnessed vs. verified simply by colour but now it will be by reading the words; Witnessed or Verified.
Post 198 IP   flag post
True. I think it'll be more of an inconvenience (mixing them together) than it would be a scam risk. I just hope I don't see or read of either. As I've said, mixing them on the wall at a show feels the same as keyword spamming to me (I know some support the act- shock ), like the dealer is trying to get me to look at ALL his stuff, when I just want to look at SOME of it. If they're mixed, I'll move on. I don't want to look at anyone's VSP's.

Hope no one thinks I have to.

ps Make it Green.
Post 199 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Hold on....Wait just a damn minute...hold the phone...hit that pause button...I need A moment to take this all in. Just to be clear, are you saying that as a potential consumer, I have to actually READ the label BEFORE I buy the product?!?! Heavens to Mergatroid! Great Caesar’s Ghost! Good grief! Are you saying it is MY RESPONSIBILITY to take a moment to read and understand what I am purchasing?!?! Oh Hell no! Forget it. Not doing it. I’m not taking responsibility for reading or comprehending MY purchases. I buy based on pretty pretty colors. Anything more is too taxing for me and will require a nap.

This debate has become absurd and circular. CBCS is doing this. Move on.
Post 200 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I learned long ago there are people who bitch just for the sake of bitching.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexigore
Hold on....Wait just a damn minute...hold the phone...hit that pause button...I need A moment to take this all in. Just to be clear, are you saying that as a potential consumer, I have to actually READ the label BEFORE I buy the product?!?! Heavens to Mergatroid! Great Caesar’s Ghost! Good grief! Are you saying it is MY RESPONSIBILITY to take a moment to read and understand what I am purchasing?!?! Oh Hell no! Forget it. Not doing it. I’m not taking responsibility for reading or comprehending MY purchases. I buy based on pretty pretty colors. Anything more is too taxing for me and will require a nap.

This debate has become absurd and circular. CBCS is doing this. Move on.

Ironic that your post raging about reading shows that you didn't read the posts in the first place.

Or at least, failed to get the point.
Post 202 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The disagreement is how CBCS chose to communicate a verified signature. In the past, it was with a colour label plus wording. Now it's with wording only. I fail to understand the outrage. I can understand disagreement with the decision but implying any sort of sneakiness or lack of transparency is a stretch in my opinion.
Post 203 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah no. Sorry man. Not even close to checkmate for a number of reasons.

First, I only go after books that I like, not just random books. If that's the case, I know who worked on them. And in that case, I can almost always recognize the signature from 10 feet easy.

In the rare, rare case that I can't recognize the signature (Kirkham threw me for a bit, so did Jason Shawn Alexander), then I would have to look at the label. But I'll be honest, that hasn't happened to me yet, which I chalk solely up to the way I buy things. Thats entirely a personal thing though, not everybody buys the way I do.

Do you have x-ray vision to see signatures that aren't on the cover? If not you'll still have to read the label at a close distance, regardless of the color.
Post 204 IP   flag post
600771 204 29
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.