Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Do you like any of these hunches?12309

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
My hunch book is Lois Lane 70. It's not all that cheap right now, but I think it's got plenty of room to grow. First SA Catwoman, which is an even bigger deal than most first SA appearances as DC had shelved the character years earlier with the advent of the Comics Code, deeming her too suggestive for comics. Only after the world didn't end with Julie Newmar slinking around the screen on the Batman TV show did they feel safe using Catwoman again.
and a white cover, good call
Post 26 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Plus SUPERPUSSYCAT. Another key for sure.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagnew
Plus SUPERPUSSYCAT. Another key for sure.

Ooooo kids show with all the 'super' animals...could rival Paw Patrol???
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
My choice for undervalued comic is Justice League of America 29 - 1st appearances of the Crime Syndicate of America (1st Ultraman, Superwoman, Owlman, Johnny Quick, and Power Ring) and Justice League of America 30 - 1st cover appearance of the Crime Syndicate.
1st silver age starman book as well, nice choice. I love the cover art for issue 29 and think it is vastly underpriced as well.Whatever you do don't forget the Rocky and Bullwinkle ads as well!

This book has been really undervalued for quite some time. It's a great key to own because of it's affordability and how these characters are still being used in recent storylines.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Another choice for undervalued/undiscovered key is Shazam #27 - 1st appearance of Kid Eternity since the Golden Age. I think the price for this book will skyrocket if they ever put him in a Shazam movie. They retconned his origin so that he is Freddie's brother.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My choice for undervalued comic is Justice League of America 29 - 1st appearances of the Crime Syndicate of America (1st Ultraman, Superwoman, Owlman, Johnny Quick, and Power Ring) and Justice League of America 30 - 1st cover appearance of the Crime Syndicate.

1st silver age starman book as well, nice choice. I love the cover art for issue 29 and think it is vastly underpriced as well.Whatever you do don't forget the Rocky and Bullwinkle ads as well!

This book has been really undervalued for quite some time. It's a great key to own because of it's affordability and how these characters are still being used in recent storylines.

I love this hunch. Two of my favorite Silver Age comics! Especially that cover on #30. I've always been a fan of the Crime Syndicate. Couldn't believe it when they killed 'em all off in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Damn!

Post 31 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
My hunch book is Lois Lane 70. It's not all that cheap right now, but I think it's got plenty of room to grow. First SA Catwoman, which is an even bigger deal than most first SA appearances as DC had shelved the character years earlier with the advent of the Comics Code, deeming her too suggestive for comics. Only after the world didn't end with Julie Newmar slinking around the screen on the Batman TV show did they feel safe using Catwoman again.

and a white cover, good call

BTW - I am selling my copy of Lois Lane #70 and Lois Lane #71 (1st and 2nd appearance) in this week's July Prime Auction. What's great about this copy of #70 (CGC 6.5) is that there is a corner crunch and slight tear on the bottom corner, on the left side. That is the only reason for the mid-range grade ... the rest of the comic looks fantastic. And personally, I think #71 was robbed. Even Heritage Auction said it was a 6.5 when I bought it raw, and they are usually tight.

Love those Kurt Schaffenberger covers!

Post 32 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
What about Wildcat/Ted Grant? He has been on Smallville, Arrow, and now Stargirl (which also has his Goddaughter, the new Wildcat, Yolanda Montez). He has been in several of the cartoons, and he even trained Batman early on. Here's his first SA appearance:

Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
What about Wildcat/Ted Grant? He has been on Smallville, Arrow, and now Stargirl (which also has his Goddaughter, the new Wildcat, Yolanda Montez). He has been in several of the cartoons, and he even trained Batman early on. Here's his first SA appearance:

I didn't even know about this issue! Black Canary's first Silver Age full appearance in this story (BB #61, and continued here). Nice!
Post 34 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone can shun me as much as they want because I'm throwing out a modern but any cover of venom 3. It's been 2 years now and it's not gone anywhere. Immortal Hulk #2 hasn't either. I'll get an argument like give it 5 years, and you could be right, but if you are holding venoms, or Thor god of thunders watch em grow.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid - Here's my copy of issue #61, but I have seen graded copies and they don't say first SA appearance of Black Canary on the label - they say origins of Starman and Black Canary, and first SA appearance of the Mist. If this isn't her first SA appearance, what is?

Post 36 IP   flag post
She is on the cover of JLA #21, and JLA #29. And she also has a cameo at the end of Flash #129 (the second crossover story with Jay Garrick) which came out before JLA #21. I found a discussion of it here.

Quote:
@Tedsaid - Here's my copy of issue #61, but I have seen graded copies and they don't say first SA appearance of Black Canary on the label - they say origins of Starman and Black Canary, and first SA appearance of the Mist. If this isn't her first SA appearance, what is?

Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Everyone can shun me as much as they want because I'm throwing out a modern but any cover of venom 3. It's been 2 years now and it's not gone anywhere. Immortal Hulk #2 hasn't either. I'll get an argument like give it 5 years, and you could be right, but if you are holding venoms, or Thor god of thunders watch em grow.

You know Venom #3 has exploded in the last month or so, right? 9.8's are selling for $350 or so on the Bay.

Also, I am loving the Cates run on Thor right now. Great stuff!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

You know Venom #3 has exploded in the last month or so, right? 9.8's are selling for $350 or so on the Bay.

everyone should own a venom 3 at this point. Whether you want to or not @Ebayseller!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
everyone should own a venom 3 at this point. Whether you want to or not @Ebayseller!

It's on the list. The list of books I know nothing about, tell me again what is it about that book?
Post 40 IP   flag post
ha! I hear you, it just happens to be a book I don't feel will go away. Don't get me wrong, im not comparing this to Myles Morales.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Ouch. That hurts. I had a handful of Venom 3s ... sold them all about six months ago for $120 each. Since I paid cover (plus slab fee, of course), I was pretty pleased with myself until I read this. I had no idea the first appearance of Knull held such drawing power.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ouch. That hurts. I had a handful of Venom 3s ... sold them all about six months ago for $120 each. Since I paid cover (plus slab fee, of course), I was pretty pleased with myself until I read this. I had no idea the first appearance of Knull held such drawing power.

Ah, sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I've sold 15 since February of last year, all 9.8 slabs. I've been buying them all that time, too, so it was just a gradual thing ... I buy a few, slab them, sell them, buy some more a little higher, slab 'em, sell 'em a little higher, etc. I have three left that I just bought at the beginning of the year.

But I just try to be happy that I kept making some money off it. Even though every one of those sales would be higher right now. (The lowest were $89 in Feb of last year, and $86 in Oct. $105 in Sept; $101 on April 1st; $110 on March 15. The highest were $130, $150, $170, and $180, all since April 29th.)

But now the raws are bid up almost as high as I was previously selling slabs for. You can still make money, buying one for, say, $200 and selling it for $350, but it's riskier. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that much, when the last raw I bought was only $80 (the most I've every paid).

Anyway, it's not like you can know for sure when something will hit. For awhile there people were saying #4 was going to be better. Something about someone on the cover? Not sure. Someone had a crazy theory that Knull didn't even "appear" in issue #3 because he was "just an avatar." Even though he drove the narrative all the way through that issue. Just dumb stuff like that.

But I've kind of stopped trying to guess where this crazy comic book market will go next. Now some 3rd and 4th print copies are going higher than the 1st prints! That's just nuts in my book.

Well, it's nuts, but it's fun to watch, too, if you don't take it too seriously.
Post 43 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
In the little bit of Firestorm that I've read or watched, I never enjoyed the dialogue between the two minds that merge to become Firestorm. More than just a missed opportunity, it always struck me as awkward and kind of irritating. Maybe it changed in later years but I thought it needed more of an Aaron Sorkin kind of smooth flow and cleverness to it.

I guess hallways and a Josiah Bartlet were not in the budget. But in all cases their last attempt ended in Legends of Tomorrow. It was good, but I feel that they could use the last crossover as a means to reboot their first Arrowverse incarnation. It's more logical than doing a film right now.

In all cases I can only recommend The Sandman (volume 2) #1 more than Firestorm, The Nuclear Man #1. As we speak both Neil Gaiman and Netflix have announced a live-action adaptation of the series, with the first arc cover 11 episodes. And COVID-19 pushing the release date to 2021, getting that issue soon is a smart call. Because once they announce the cast... Pop goes the dynamite.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I love this hunch. Two of my favorite Silver Age comics! Especially that cover on #30. I've always been a fan of the Crime Syndicate. Couldn't believe it when they killed 'em all off in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Damn!

Yeah, the cover to #30 is one of my favorite SA cover. #29 is also classic due to it being a cover swipe of All Star Comics #8.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
While this discussion was going on I couldn't find what I wanted in a Firestorm 9.6 (once the CBCS on ebay got snagged), so to console myself I started cleaning out the mid-grade books at MCS. Books they grade at 6.0-7.5 but probably are 7.5-8.5. Each day I would buy the 3 or 4 in inventory, but they would be replaced the next day. Average price about $19 per book, so no huge risk on any one book. Thing is, I've now got 11 copies in transit to my house...I hope you guys are right about this Firestorm thing,lol!
Post 46 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, the cover to #30 is one of my favorite SA cover. #29 is also classic due to it being a cover swipe of All Star Comics #8.

I love these 2 issues, first read the stories in JLA #114.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
I love these 2 issues, first read the stories in JLA #114.

Oh, cool! I have JLA #114 somewhere. I'll have to dig it up, so I can read it. I haven't read this story in years!
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
that was the unique thing about Justice League of America, that nearly all the early stories are reprinted in the run often several times.

Justice league had some rather stunning covers in the first 100 or so issues in particular...I am very fond of issue 16,29 51 for obvious reasons,and issues 100 and 101....the story from issues 100 and 101 is one of my all time favorite comic stories as well.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
that was the unique thing about Justice League of America, that nearly all the early stories are reprinted in the run often several times.

Justice league had some rather stunning covers in the first 100 or so issues in particular...I am very fond of issue 16,29 51 for obvious reasons,and issues 100 and 101....the story from issues 100 and 101 is one of my all time favorite comic stories as well.

There is a copy of JLA #101 9.6 for a pretty good price right now at MCS ... $115. I saw it just a few days ago and remembered you liked it. I'm glad you posted this, which reminded me to let you know.

Some of my favorite early covers are the #30 already mentioned, and also #12 (the first Dr. Light, with a very vivid yellow cover) and #18, which is very dramatic looking. I also really like #55 for some reason, but I think that's just because I once found a really high-grade copy in the wild a couple years ago. Came back a 9.0, with that really vivid dark blue cover.

At the time of those early JLA issues, Superman and Batman were DC's two biggest sellers. And so they were hesitant to use them in the stories, and especially to put them on the covers. My understanding is, they didn't want to annoy the "big dogs" who had editorial control of the Batman titles and the Superman titles. So Batman and Superman were part of the Justice League, but didn't appear on a cover until issue #10 (sort of) and #19.

Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I think JLA 75 is technically the first appearance of Dinah Laurel Lance, daughter of the GA Black Canary shown in JLA 21 and JLA 29.

Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm
I think JLA 75 is technically the first appearance of Dinah Laurel Lance, daughter of the GA Black Canary shown in JLA 21 and JLA 29.

Yep, exactly! That wasn't the daughter originally, in JLA #75. That was retconned by Roy Thomas and George Perez some years later, in JLA #220, in a somewhat goofy and convoluted way. But it helped explain why a World War II era hero was so much younger than everyone else from Earth 2.

If you don't know, Roy Thomas was a LONG time fan of comic books, and he was given his first job at DC when he was 24. They had previously bought a story from him, so they hired him on as an assistant editor to work under Mort Weisinger, a notoriously difficult boss. He lasted eight days before accepting a job offer from Marvel, directly from Stan Lee himself. His new job as "staff writer" was announced in the "Bullpen Bulletins" section of Fantastic Four #47 ... "Roy's a fan who's made it!"

He used to write in a lot, and a lot of his "letters to the editor" appear in various comics. Including in Justice League of America #1 and Green Lantern #1!
Post 52 IP   flag post
Hey, I thought I recognized that one! You bought that from me, from MCS last fall. Hahaha ... what a beautiful copy.

I think that is one I bought when I was a teenager, working at my LCS. I got maybe eight or ten pretty nice early JLA comics at that time, from a collection that just came in. I bought as many as I could afford.

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm

Yep, exactly! That wasn't the daughter originally, in JLA #75. That was retconned by Roy Thomas and George Perez some years later, in JLA #220, in a somewhat goofy and convoluted way. But it helped explain why a World War II era hero was so much younger than everyone else from Earth 2.

If you don't know, Roy Thomas was a LONG time fan of comic books, and he was given his first job at DC when he was 24. They had previously bought a story from him, so they hired him on as an assistant editor to work under Mort Weisinger, a notoriously difficult boss. He lasted eight days before accepting a job offer from Marvel, directly from Stan Lee himself. His new job as "staff writer" was announced in the "Bullpen Bulletins" section of Fantastic Four #47 ... "Roy's a fan who's made it!"

He used to write in a lot, and a lot of his "letters to the editor" appear in various comics. Including in Justice League of America #1 and Green Lantern #1!

Oh interesting! I wasn't aware of that retcon! Lol, small world on the photo. .actually isn't my copy. It just happened to be the first slab photo I came across to see the label. I still need to get my copy graded; found a double cover a few years ago. Always loved the cover though!
Post 54 IP   flag post
601210 54 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?