Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

How would you handle this ebay issue?12249

Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a couple of star wars comics around 3-4 months ago from a seller in Canada. The seller was having all kinds of problems with shipping. After a month, he decided to just refund me the money. I said if he ever gets the comics back, I would still be interested in them. Fast forward to today, apparently the comics were never sent back to him and are on their way to me. How would I repay him? I am obviously not going to keep them for free. This is through ebay and I was already refunded. I would contact him through ebay but they are always looking for email addresses and payments outside of ebay.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Try to find the paypal transaction that might list the email and contact them through there. If not just contact through Ebay and if the comics are in the condition you expected refund the money in full.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector naftixe private msg quote post Address this user
If you can’t do it thru the original PayPal transaction, then you should have a return address when the package arrives. Then you should be able to mail them.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@flanders

Didn't think to look at the paypal transaction. I will see if I can "unrefund" a refund.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector naftixe private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing if you have their PayPal handle then you can send them money.
Post 5 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing take a photo of your email address with phone upload it as a message. Problem solved
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by naftixe
@moodswing if you have their PayPal handle then you can send them money.

This.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to be a G, you can go to the bank, get some Canadian dollars and mail them to the seller.

Or you can just contact the seller and get a PayPal handle. I've found eBay is less hesitant to block sending contact info if you had a transaction with the person. You may have to do it in the form of screen shots.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, if you can get the e-mail address he used for the PayPal transaction, that’s the way to go. Shouldn’t be too hard to track down if you can find the original transaction dates.
Post 9 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
This is how I would handle it.

Step 1: Take pictures of the comics showing that they have finally arrived. This will allow the dealer to know that they managed to arrive safely despite all delays on the postal service's behalf.

Step 2: Contact said dealer with photos added. If this cannot be done through eBay because their account is not there, it should be done by email. If their PayPal account does not show an email, and eBay is not an option, then the items are free. Otherwise the message should note that payment for the issues is readily available. Shipping costs should be 0%-50% due to what had to happen.

Step 3: Wait. Initiating the payment for the issues alone might be a good idea if a note can be added. Otherwise this is a period to wait for them to respond and agree on the new amount. (If nothing is heard within a period of 2 months, or more, they need to renegotiate since they made you wait.)

That is all I can offer. I know that the slowness of the shipping is not their entire fault. But it is always a good move on their behalf to take a cut on the shipping. Plus you willing to respect them as a seller will help out when it comes to future deals between you both.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
eBay hides peoples email address when you buy stuff on eBay you cannot see their email address in the PayPal transaction. eBay be trifling like that.

So they literally hired someone to build out a way to purposefully obfuscate email addresses, but they won't update the rest of their archaic website.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
I bought a couple of star wars comics around 3-4 months ago from a seller in Canada. The seller was having all kinds of problems with shipping. After a month, he decided to just refund me the money. I said if he ever gets the comics back, I would still be interested in them. Fast forward to today, apparently the comics were never sent back to him and are on their way to me. How would I repay him? I am obviously not going to keep them for free. This is through ebay and I was already refunded. I would contact him through ebay but they are always looking for email addresses and payments outside of ebay.

Contact the seller. They could opt to for you to send them the money if you’re ok with that or If they Know what they’re doing; they can relist the item and you can purchase again. They can share the link or it will say the item has been re listed when click on the original in your purchases.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing As a seller I have had the opposite issue. In some cases I cannot contact the buyer outside ebay, so I contacted ebay customer service who wrote to me that in this case they do allow email addresses to be exchanged within ebay. It may be different from case to case though
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

Contact the seller. They could opt to for you to send them the money if you’re ok with that or If they Know what they’re doing; they can relist the item and you can purchase again. They can share the link or it will say the item has been re listed when click on the original in your purchases.

If you do it this way, you may want to tell him to: a) make the price too high; b) turn on "make an offer"; c) turn off automatic reject of offer. This is so somebody else won't swoop in and buy it.

He could also make the listing obscure, or just weird looking, so no one else will buy it. But I've actually had three different transactions screw up because of that ... one with me selling; one with me buying; and one with me as the (accidental) swooper.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I looked up the paypal transaction and I cannot find any email address associated with the seller. Does it disappear or something after a refund?
Post 15 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing just do what I said. Send him message attach pic of your email or phone number. He will contact you because he'll want to get paid.
Post 16 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @earthshaker01

After so long, you drop out of ebay's system as the "buyer" and "seller", I think it's 60-90 days. So to try to communicate through the original sale will probably not work. But you have his ebay id, and if he is selling anything else, you could initiate a conversation through one of those items.

Maybe there will be contact info in the box.

The PayPal email address is never visible to the buyer when purchasing on eBay. The seller has access to the buyer's address for 14 days only (recent change). Don't see any path there.

Just a suggestion if you do connect: you can send the money via PP Friends and Family, since you don't need purchase protection for an item in hand. Then he doesn't have to pay fees on it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
It sucks that that happened. I just recently got a couple comics from Canada, they arrived as fast as anything from the US, just a couple days. Not sure how that happened.

Have you tried finding his contact info or username in an old email? Just search for the title of the comic, maybe it will come up.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@moodswing Another option could be that you buy some items from him of equivalent value and ask him not to ship the items
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
The books have been in transit for months. Don't do anything until they arrive and you inspect them. After that, it's not your job to find the solution...it's your job to inform the seller that they arrived and ask him how he would like to square up payment. I guarantee he will offer a solution.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I will wait to see if they arrive in good condition first. I already bought a replacement for one of the comics too.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I will wait to see if they arrive in good condition first.

Definitely.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Got the books. Wasn't to thrill with the packaging but everything seemed to arrive okay. One book has some issues but I have no idea on what the original listing stated for the condition of the books. One of the books I bought slabbed too. I will reach out to the seller and see how he wants to handle this. I am thinking at least free shipping
Post 23 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I will reach out to the seller and see how he wants to handle this. I am thinking at least free shipping

Hmmm, You could use this opportunity to grind a few dollars from someone for something that was beyond their control.
Or you could use this opportunity to fulfill your human destiny by treating others the way you would want to be treated.
Choose wisely grasshopper...the other guy already did:
Quote:
The seller was having all kinds of problems with shipping. After a month, he decided to just refund me the money
Post 24 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller

If I sent an item that took 4 months to get to the buyer, I would compensate them somehow. At the very least free shipping. The seller shipped them as cheap as possible too. Not sure how he managed to ship my books from Canada to the US for around $5.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
@EbaySeller

If I sent an item that took 4 months to get to the buyer, I would compensate them somehow. At the very least free shipping. The seller shipped them as cheap as possible too. Not sure how he managed to ship my books from Canada to the US for around $5.

maybe he absorbed some of the shipping cost just to have competitive prices
Post 26 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
What a jerk...bringing Covid down on us like this and slowing the mail down. At the very least, this horse's patoot can pay for my shipping.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Out of the 12 shipments he refunded. I am one of 2 who has offered any type of payment and actually reached out to him. One book is not in the condition I remember it being listed or I doubt I would have bought it for the price I did and his shipping/packaging was subpar. Book could have been damaged over the 4 months in transit due to his packaging or the damage could have already been there. Can't tell since the listing was taken down. I get it, I am the jerk for not getting the comics I bought in said condition in under 4 months because of covid I have already bought another copy of one of the comics too.

With that said, his reply was "anything you think is fair would be great". Unfortunately, in that message he did not come up with a plan to get him money. I would rather pay him outside of ebay so he doesn't lose $$ on fees. Might try the picture thing. I can send a pic of the damage on the comic and add a message with my email.

@poka
It was an auction but who knows. I think he uses a forwarding company. I believe that is where most of these issues are stemming from.
Post 28 IP   flag post
600440 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?