Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeQuestions

Cost benefit of slabing mid & low grade books12132

Collector Schumy2 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I'm reaching out to the community with a questions that I'm sure most of us have asked ourselves at least once: At what point does it no longer become cost effective to slab a mid grade or low grade book? I'm not talking about mega keys. I'm referring to Bronze, Copper and Modern books of moderate importance.

For example, I was thinking of submitting my copy of ASM 124. My book is somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5. However, when I looked at the current values on gocollect ($110 -$160), I reconsidered. I see so many slabbed mid grade books out there that don't seem to justify the cost. What are your thoughts and what criteria do you use for determining a good grading candidate?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
One thing to remember is not all books are submitted on a purely financial, cost/benefit, basis, as much as that might annoy some collectors. So while you may see a lot of low to mid-grade books of low value, it doesn’t mean submitting them was cost effective. I know I’ll submit books with covers I like or books I’ve had since I started collecting that are torn up and ragged, but I know that what I’m doing won’t benefit me financially and I am okay with that.

If that’s the way you want to approach it it seems like adding up all the costs associated with slabbing the book (price of the book, grading, shipping, etc) with the value of the book, both graded and raw and see how you feel about that ratio.

It could cost $40 to slab a book that’s only worth $50 in the grade you’re expecting but if the book sells for $20 or $30 raw then you’ll have to consider if that is worth it to you.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
I will only grade keys or very high grade comics of any age. I have found that you tend to do better buying mid or low grade slabs on-line and then selling the raw one you have to offset the cost. Your ASM 124 (first Man-wolf)is a key and extremely sought after and worth grading if your initial cost was low. Bottom line, there is no set answer as your cost plus slabbing costs all come into play. Just my opinion. Nuff said...
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure I am in the minority, but if you have a book that has any kind of appeal it has been my experience people will buy it if it is graded.

For example a hawkman 4 1.8 CBCS, green lantern 41 3.5 CBCS. I didnt make a killing, but they more than paid for the slabbing. The added plus is that since its graded, I've never had anybody come back and say the book wasnt as it was presented.

Every now and again CBCS has promos, such as their percentage off Spider-man books. If you take advantage of those promos, it helps chip away the cost of slabbing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Also suggest checking more than just "gocollect" to form your opinions.....look at the book for sale on ebay vs sold prices on ebay, and consider the pricing its given at other dealers in various grades.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Schumy2 here's the GoCollect sales data for an 8.0.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
$100 sale. Meets my criteria.
Sometimes I will chase trying to get a 9.8 Common Comic for fun, dangerous game As if I get a 9.6, the value is not worth doing.
It’s an eye test. Having an excellent grading eye is key to the decision.
Post 7 IP   flag post
598060 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?