Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Submit or not submit? That is the question!12083

Collector Ironwill75 private msg quote post Address this user

So I have this copy of ASM 50 I know it’s a ratty copy compared to some of the high standards set on here, but I love the book and it does seem to present well.
Do you think it’s worth slabbing ? Would you ? It’s for my own use not to sell so price is irrelevant really.
Just something to do during lockdown I guess.
Cheers
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, no. However, it is obviously meaningful to you, so yep!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I would, but I'm a sucker for a nice pence copy, so my opinion is biased. The front cover presents very well with vibrant colors. Clearly the back has some flaws (as does the front), but it looks very nice. If it's for your own collection, I say go for it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I would, but I'm a sucker for a nice pence copy, so my opinion is biased. The front cover presents very well with vibrant colors. Clearly the back has some flaws (as does the front), but it looks very nice. If it's for your own collection, I say go for it.

I know I am terrible at being sensible, I would just slab everything 😂. Cheers
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman79
Personally, no. However, it is obviously meaningful to you, so yep!

Trying to be better at making grounded decisions! Not being very successful so far, I keep looking for a nicer affordable copy but prices are mad at the minute!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Ironwill75 - Did someone glue a piece of white paper over a hole near and below the bottom staple on the back cover? If that’s what I am seeing, then I would probably not have it slabbed and graded. An amateur “repair” will likely result in a restored or at the least, a conserved designation on the label. I could be seeing things, my eyes are 60 years old!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Ironwill75 - Did someone glue a piece of white paper over a hole near and below the bottom staple on the back cover? If that’s what I am seeing, then I would probably not have it slabbed and graded. An amateur “repair” will likely result in a restored or at the least, a conserved designation on the label. I could be seeing things, my eyes are 60 years old!

No it’s just come out weird on the photo it’s a tear still attached at the bottom original piece, a shame though.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I would...the front presents pretty good, it's a pence copy which makes it unique and you love it....all good reasons to slab.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I would...the front presents pretty good, it's a pence copy which makes it unique and you love it....all good reasons to slab.

I’m getting the awful feeling it’s going to slip into my next submission 🤦‍♂️🤣
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I get every key graded, so I would. A 2.0 goes for around $250 and things are appreciating. Press it first
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I get every key graded, so I would. A 2.0 goes for around $250 and things are appreciating. Press it first

I know what your saying, prices are mental at the minute ! I’m not sure about the pressing though what with the issues with it at the moment not sure it would make a huge amount of difference to this copy.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwill75
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

No it’s just come out weird on the photo it’s a tear still attached at the bottom original piece, a shame though.

In that case, I would get it graded and slabbed. It will look better in the case and be protected from more physical damage. Go for it!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I know what your saying, prices are mental at the minute ! I’m not sure about the pressing though what with the issues with it at the moment not sure it would make a huge amount of difference to this copy.

A good presser can improve the appearance and grade of any book, that has been my experience anyway. Any creases that are not color breaking, mostly gone, the book flatter, more “new” feeling.
One thing I have learned in this hobby, prices for books like yours only go in one direction, even beat copies.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Press and slab. It will not depreciate and it will prevent the book from getting worse like @esaravo said.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Batfan77 private msg quote post Address this user
@Ironwill75 I tend to have books that are important to myself graded. Mainly, I don’t plan on getting a nicer copy anytime soon and I want to preserve what I have. I haven’t sold a graded book yet. Just got this one back, it’s well loved but it’s mine.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfan77
@Ironwill75 I tend to have books that are important to myself graded. Mainly, I don’t plan on getting a nicer copy anytime soon and I want to preserve what I have. I haven’t sold a graded book yet. Just got this one back, it’s well loved but it’s mine.

Yes sounds very similar to me but I can’t help but look for nicer copies, at which point I say I’ll sell the other one, then end up owning multiple copies 🤦‍♂️, however I only have one of these and the prices are unbelievable at the moment, so your probably right to say slab it.
Cheers
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Phill59898 private msg quote post Address this user
I say slab it especially if it have meaning to you.
Post 17 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I completely agree with this. I would press every single book I submit if the price would come down a little. I know that's not likely to happen as they are so busy, so why drop the price and also, I don't know for sure, but I get the impression it's a laborious task that demands this price. A Pressed and Graded book (SA book) can run over $50+USD not including shipping...and for a Canadian dealing in USD...even adds to pain, lol....Pressing and Grading adds up fast the more books you submit.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yep. I grade all keys, especially first appearances.

I’ve got a pretty ratty Batman 181 I’ll most likely add to my next submission. I just had some higher priority books that had to go first.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Batfan77 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a stack of about 50 books I’d like to send in. I just have to work my way through slowly
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, send it in! Cost of the book is worth it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Do you think it’s worth slabbing ? Would you ? It’s for my own use not to sell so price is irrelevant really.
Just something to do during lockdown I guess.

Are you submitting other books? If not, then the total cost with shipping is likely to be what, $60? about 25% of the value of the book. But if it's going with a submission you already had planned, that makes more sense.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

I completely agree with this. I would press every single book I submit if the price would come down a little. I know that's not likely to happen as they are so busy, so why drop the price and also, I don't know for sure, but I get the impression it's a laborious task that demands this price. A Pressed and Graded book (SA book) can run over $50+USD not including shipping...and for a Canadian dealing in USD...even adds to pain, lol....Pressing and Grading adds up fast the more books you submit.

I feel your pain shipping backwards and forwards to the UK 🇬🇧 is a massive cost factor. I think some of my books are more well traveled than me and I was in the Air Force 😂 !
I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s post and opinions on here really appreciate it thanks 🙏👍.
I will most likely send it for grading I’ll post a picture back on here of it slabbed as and when I do.
Cheers 🍻
Post 23 IP   flag post
598065 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?