Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Stolen Books in St Louis area12051

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
This was posted on the CGC forum the other day. A gentleman's collection was taken from storage. His contact info, as well as police contact info posted below but it is also linked in the forum across the street. Putting it out there for awareness.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Another collection lost..while in storage. I cant wrap my mind around it I guess....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I can wrap my mind. I kept my collection in storage for one year when I was recalled for a deployment to Afghanistan. I wasn't going to saddle my immediate family with the collection while I was gone since they were also in the process of a move (I'm not married and have no children). So I took 23 long boxes, 12 graded boxes, and however many short boxes to a new unit that had indoor storage and a modern security system. Probably doesn't mean much, but the cameras had clear quality when he showed me. I put everything in the unit after hours, it had a loading bay that I could close the bay door to keep people out. I also didn't advertise what I was putting in there. The guy who worked there asked, and I told him it was my household goods. In effect that was true. I can't speak for how the person in St Louis stored their books, but I put all the boxes in first, then all the furniture, boxes or clothes, everything else on top and in front to obscure the boxes as best as I could. I didn't die, I came home, got another place, and had movers take everything to my new place. It was a pretty easy day.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley for sure...makes perfect sense....with the millions upon millions of storage units around it is a small fraction that get robbed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
This is terrible. I’d be so sick if my relatively small collection was stolen.

I certainly hope the storage facility covers the losses. While no one could have predict the looting that’s going on now, you’d hope a storage facility would have better security.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I think that since I have been a forum member here (2 years maybe?) that's like the fourth collection that has seen serious loss in storage...
I use a safety deposit box for the best books and if I were going to be gone or unable to look after them for awhile I would leave them with a family member myself...
Incidentally it might behoove some to research how many storage units a year are targeted by thieves...it is no "small Fraction" although things might be different in the states than perhaps Canada.I can attest that locally at least there is a ring operating that targets higher end storage units and scouts them, and makes some serious grabs.
I myself would not be placing higher end books in that type of risk level environment for any reason ….
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
This is terrible. I’d be so sick if my relatively small collection was stolen.

I certainly hope the storage facility covers the losses. While no one could have predict the looting that’s going on now, you’d hope a storage facility would have better security.

They make you have insurance, either thru them or proof your homeowners/renters insurance covers your stuff offsite (away from home). Because they do not cover anything, themselves.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Correct, generally a storage facility requires you to insure your property if you feel its necessary and assume no responsibility for loss.
Even a bank will have a disclaimer that items within a safety deposit box are not insured nor protected as deposits and cash accounts are... and they accept no liability for losses.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
That sucks. I would never leave anything of value in storage (I guess if I didn’t have choice I would temporarily). I’ve used a few units during moves EVERY one of them had roof leaks. moving wet Furniture and cardboard boxes is awesome 😒
Post 9 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Those people should get a freaking job to get what other people worked hard for. Sad day for the collecting society.
Post 10 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice with my collection. I have 30+ years of comics, Hot Wheels, and other collectibles in my storage unit and have for years. It is a super nice place though and climate controlled so that is a plus.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice with my collection. I have 30+ years of comics, Hot Wheels, and other collectibles in my storage unit and have for years. It is a super nice place though and climate controlled so that is a plus.

I call that an excuse for a bigger house or a big collectibles room addition.😁
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
My most valuable books in my PC is in a private home fully insured but rest are in a storage with limited insurance. Last month my automated payment For the storage unit was declined because my bank had blocked my debit card and bank account for all transactions as I had overlooked a request for information for their ongoing due diligence review. I was not aware of that.

The storage facility gave me 3 days (in an email which ended up in my junk folder) to settle or they would initiate the process of take possession of the content of the unit.

After this I am in the process of finding space for my PC at home. However, that means that my inventory for sale have to go so I have already shipped many books to MCS to be listed there.

Well - that was until MCS changed their terms so I still have 8 short boxes of the more valuable books for sale which I need to deal with.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Well - that was until MCS changed their terms so I still have 8 short boxes of the more valuable books for sale which I need to deal with.

How did their terms change? Do you mean just the Covid-19 temporary change on raw books?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

How did their terms change? Do you mean just the Covid-19 temporary change on raw books?

Change of terms effective Aug 1 in terms of storage and fees on sold items.
Post 15 IP   flag post
598059 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?