Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

X-Men 281 Raw Grade or Full Grade11973

Collector naftixe private msg quote post Address this user
I currently have 19 issues of X-men 281 and I am on the fence on to whether have them be fully pressed, graded, and encapsulated for $30 each or just go ahead with Raw Grading them at $10 each.

In the 1990s I owned a comic book shop. I closed it up in January 2002 due to the recession of 9/11. The economy shut down after the attacks and nobody was buying anything so I had to close the comic shop in January 2002. I sold off a lot of silver and modern age, about 500 or so To pay off my bills when the store closed.

Anyways I was just cleaning out my house during Covid19 shut down and found over 200 90s comics. All these comics were unboxed from Diamond and put into bag/board immediately. So for over 20 years these Mint/NM comics have sat untouched in bag and board in a 250 comic box in an AC house in a closet. And lo and behold a hidden treasure of 19 X-MEN 281s. (Not to mention the other goodies, like a Evil Ernie 1 signed by Pulido and Hughes. And the other stack of 282s)

So how should I grade the 19 copies of 281s $10 Raw or $30 Pressed and Cased?
Post 1 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like a lot of work for a $40 - $50 9.8 slabbed book. Maybe skip grading and just sell them raw for $10 - $15 each.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks I may do that instead.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Is that a valuable book? If you want to sell, I would press and slab 'em.

FYI, the recession of 2001 started in March of that year, and lasted through November. The attacks, as horrible as they were, really had nothing to do with that recession. Primarily, it was caused by the Federal Reserve, increasing interest rates in 2000, in order to slow down growth, and prevent a worse bubble and recession later.

During 2001 some 1.7 million jobs were lost. However, another 500k were lost during 2002, and unemployment didn't peek until the middle of 2003. So even though it was technically not a recession in 2002 and 2003, it was a very poor recovery.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I would look them over carefully then send ones in for grading you think will be a 9.8 and select grade screening of 9.8 so if it grades lower than that they wont be encapsulated or charged a grading fee in most cases.

For the evil ernie 1 if its the first series id post some photos of it out of the bag here and im sure they will be interested buyers on the forum and many others that could help estimate the grade.

I dont think raw grading will be worth the cost for the xmen 281.

Try to list some of the others, despite some thinking all 90s comics are crap there are many worth a decent amount of money.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks for the grade screening advice. I have already submitted about 30 of the books so far to be pressed and slabbed, including the Evil Ernie, some limited chaos, top cow, image and Harris limited chrome runs. To include early Witchblade, Preacher, 90s Vampirella, Shi, Lady Deaths. When they come back I will post them in the forum and on my eBay listings
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by naftixe
(Not to mention the other goodies, like a Evil Ernie 1 signed by Pulido and Hughes. And the other stack of 282s)

Sounds like the ones you aren't mentioning are the ones we should be discussing.

Even for Raw Grade the 281's will cost you $15-$16 all in to get graded. Assuming the average unpressed grade is 9.4, that leaves $10 per book before selling and packaging costs if you get FMV. If your time is worth more than $1 per hour I would maybe try to sell the whole group for $250-$300 before doing anything else.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for the reply. I Have been out of the comic game for almost 20 years And am just looking to liquidate what I have found at the most benefit to myself. I was on the fence on the 281s and will probably just raw sell them. Meanwhile the 282 will be slabbed. About 30 hit the mail yesterday to be pressed and slabbed. So we will see them later this year. Unfortunately I have another 250 box of M/NM Star Wars episode 1 that was over produced. I stocked up on variants and signed and DFEs that never hit value due to underwhelming response of episode 1 and it’s merch.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by naftixe
Thanks for the reply. I Have been out of the comic game for almost 20 years And am just looking to liquidate what I have found at the most benefit to myself. I was on the fence on the 281s and will probably just raw sell them. Meanwhile the 282 will be slabbed. About 30 hit the mail yesterday to be pressed and slabbed. So we will see them later this year. Unfortunately I have another 250 box of M/NM Star Wars episode 1 that was over produced. I stocked up on variants and signed and DFEs that never hit value due to underwhelming response of episode 1 and it’s merch.

The Darth Maul covers from episode 1 Issue 3 might have a little value. If you have complete sets of the 4 issues I'd suggest selling the sets.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yes I definitely have 3 or 4 complete runs of episode 1 in all Variations, including Anakin, Obi Wan, Quigon, and Amedalla runs
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
@naftixe Did you send the Evil Ernie for signature verification also?

I sent mine for pressing, signature verification, and grading at the end of December. I probably won’t be getting it back until this December.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
@naftixe Did you send the Evil Ernie for signature verification also?

Yes I just mailed it in yesterday. I have Pulido and Hughes signatures on it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I decided if I can’t get at least $100 for it, I don’t get it graded, drew the line there. . I do set aside mostly anything my eye calls a 9.8 for future maybes, up to 1990 or so, anything newer should always be a 9.8.
An example. I did not know Captain America 254 has value. Thought I would list a group yesterday as buy it now, #254,255 and 290 and get maybe $15, all 9.8 or close range. It’s good to look things up first. Set them all aside.
Probably have 4 281’s set aside, maybe someday?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I decided if I can’t get at least $100 for it, I don’t get it graded, drew the line there. . I do set aside mostly anything my eye calls a 9.8 for future maybes, up to 1990 or so, anything newer should always be a 9.8.
An example. I did not know Captain America 254 has value. Thought I would list a group yesterday as buy it now, #254,255 and 290 and get maybe $15, all 9.8 or close range. It’s good to look things up first. Set them all aside.
Probably have 4 281’s set aside, maybe someday?

After all the reading that I have done. $100 range is probably my limit for the whole press seal and capsulate. I’m thinking 9.8 or 9.6 bottom limit on over $100 comics and let the less than 9.8 or 9.6 fall into a raw graded bag.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
decided if I can’t get at least $100 for it, I don’t get it graded, drew the line there. . I do set aside mostly anything my eye calls a 9.8 for future maybes, up to 1990 or so, anything newer should always be a 9.8.

My Criteria in the past has been similar, but I have lowered the bar for Moderns (post-1975). Now that I'm using MCS consignment selling is so much less work than on Ebay, and CBCS is regularly offering 10%-15% discounts, so I've lowered that bar to about $60 range. Slabbing, shipping to MCS and selling cost of a $60 book will run about $27, which leaves me with $33 or more. If I can sell them for $80 my keep goes up to $50. For a lot of those books I figure my only other option is for them to sit in a box until I die and leave my family trying to figure out what they have. I also kind of enjoy the process and the anticipation of having 20-30 books out for grading. I get some enthusiasm just from having books moving through the process. The process is a lot more enjoyable now that through MCS I don't have to pack them individually for shipping after they are sold.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector brandon77 private msg quote post Address this user
"So we will see them later this year" - now THAT'S optimism!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quite interesting, EBay seller, thank you. I will check out MCS. They purchased some of my buy it nows over the years, Golden age, which I thought was surprising for such a large business.
If your plan works out for me, I would have another thousand or so worthy of grading at least. It is fun to see the surprises, usually.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller when MSC says graded, do they mean slab only or do they also accept the new CBCS Raw Grading package?
Post 18 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
@naftixe I would not recommend sending any CBCS Raw graded comics in to MCS. I was curious about that as well and this is what they told me in an email.

"since CBCS doesn't include a restoration check in their raw grading, we don't currently list them as such; they will be subject to regrading upon arrival."

So basically they open them and regrade them based on their standards. The grading at MCS is VERY strict so there is a good chance that the grade you got from CBCS would not be the same grade at MCS.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
@naftixe I would not recommend sending any CBCS Raw graded comics in to MCS

Yes, slabbed only for MCS in my experience.

Quote:
If your plan works out for me, I would have another thousand or so worthy of grading at least. It is fun to see the surprises, usually.

MCS charges same 10% seller fee in most cases. The difference is you don't have to take any pictures (or create listings) and you can ship as many books as you want to send in a single shipping. They also will ship slabs to buyers for $4.95, consolidated with other purchases from their site. Seems that every time I win an auction at MCS I go and find 2-3 more books from their site since I'm already paying the shipping.
So the buyer doesn't have to pay $15 to get a slab safely shipped to them, and I can accept offers at MCS a little below what I would accept on Ebay, because the work on my part is so much less.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@MutantMania thanks for the info
Post 21 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller thanks for the info. I will look into this option as opposed to putting them on my eBay
Post 22 IP   flag post
600771 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?