Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

THE ONE AND ONLY CORONAVIRUS THREAD ALLOWED11555

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, the verdict is in. This is primarily and foremost a CBCS forum. Topics should be about comics, comic grading and the comic industry. CBCS does allow off topic discussions. With the current situation with coronavirus being what it is, the decision was made to allow ONE coronavirus related thread.

Here are the guidelines:

1) This thread will be the only thread for coronavirus related topics, memes, videos, music, data, etc. All existing threads are either locked or will be. Any future ones will be deleted.

2) Discussion of legal medicines related to coronavirus treatment or vaccination will be allowed. Keep in mind that so far, there are no medical doctors on this forum to our knowledge.

3) Keep the discussion civil and topical. No politics. That even includes names.

4) If, or when, this thread fills up, a new one will be started.

If things get out of hand, the coronavirus topic will be banned totally from this forum. People are complaining that they want a distraction from it and come here to do that. When there are multiple threads and comments, it takes away from the enjoyment.

Honestly, isn't that what comics are about? They are entertainment meant to distract us for a bit.

Edit: Con postponements or cancellations should be posted here as well.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
First post! Can we talk about beer?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Only if the beer contains or cures covid.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck technically @Jesse_O post is first. 😉
Post 4 IP   flag post
@GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I thought about that, but let’s treat it like Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I thought about that, but let’s treat it like Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

Ha! good one!! 🍻
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck LOL!!!

I went back as far as I care to go and locked threads obviously related to coronavirus. I know I didn't get them all and I probably missed a few. Just know that if you think you are being cute by bumping a thread I didn't lock, I will just lock it after you bumped it. I would advise everyone to not do that, and definitely don't push it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
First post! Can we talk about beer?

as long as it's not corona!! find your own beach
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
1) This thread will be the only thread for coronavirus related topics, memes, videos, music, data, etc. All existing threads are either locked or will be. Any future ones will be deleted.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user

Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Keep in mind that so far, there are no medical doctors on this forum to our knowledge.

We have a Dr. Watson as well as a Dr. Who home-schooled understudy.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Ryan Reynolds Posts Deadpool Clip To Encourage Social Distancing

clickable text twitter clip

clickable text Cinemablend article and clip

Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Last week I watched Avengers Endgame again. Other than knowing our loved ones are still with us, it's pretty amazing the similarities between our current reality and the traumatized "Post-Snap" world of Endgame. No sports, no events, no getting out, nothing to look forward to and plan for. We are isolated and feeling powerless over our own futures. We all have levels of anxiety that we probably haven't even accepted yet. Hearing and sharing current thoughts and experiences on this forum are an important outlet to keep those anxieties from turning into fear and depression. I don't want to disrespect the Moderation but I'm hoping we can encourage use of this outlet. Although it all ties back to Corona Virus, I'm wondering if we can start some individual threads discussing the New World Order we are facing? Threads such as:
Current and future state of collectible comics?
What are you doing to avoid going stir crazy?
What's going on in your part of the world?
What (non-political things) are we learning, how will we take something positive out of all of this?
Is your Worldview evolving from this experience?

While we don't have to discuss CV directly, at this moment in time the effects of Corona Virus aren't just the most important issue, they are pretty much the only issue on peoples minds.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Last week I watched Avengers Endgame again. Other than knowing our loved ones are still with us, it's pretty amazing the similarities between our current reality and the "Post-Snap" world of Endgame. No sports, no events, no getting out, nothing to look forward to and plan for. We are isolated and feeling powerless over our own futures. We all have levels of anxiety that we probably haven't even accepted yet. Hearing and sharing current thoughts and experiences on this forum are an important outlet to keep those anxieties from turning into fear and depression. I don't want to disrespect the Moderation but I'm hoping we can encourage use of this outlet. Although it all ties back to Corona Virus, I'm wondering if we can start some individual threads discussing the New World Order we are facing? Threads such as:
What are you doing to avoid going stir crazy?
What's going on in your part of the world?
What (non-political things) are we learning, how will we take something positive out of all of this?
Is your Worldview evolving from this experience?

While we don't have to discuss CV directly, at this moment in time the effects of Corona Virus aren't just the most important issue, they are pretty much the only issue on peoples minds.
I solidly agree. I think while people may not come here to discuss the virus, it also isn't the forums responsibility to see they are entertained as mentioned above. That's what Netflix and Disney Streaming are for. If the discussions provide too much reality for some, dont click on those threads....seems simple enough

I think we all lose when a few people are so delicate and triggered by the topic that noone is allowed to discus it or offer insights.
For the thread we are allowed to have , thanks Jesse, I think it serves a valid purpose and has its merits.
Especially knowing new comics are apparently indefinitely on hold right?
I will follow the rules as they are given...but I wonder how many people are tossing a fit like they did about the politics, because they just felt it wasn't allowed , when it actually was, but due to the drama they created we lost that freedom.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Keep in mind that so far, there are no medical doctors on this forum to our knowledge.

We have a Dr. Watson as well as a Dr. Who home-schooled understudy.

Home schooled? I think Dr. Watson was Holmes schooled.
Post 15 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user

National Geographic did videos like this one for many other viruses.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied

On ebay some sellers would say it is in mint condition.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller
Quote:

I'm wondering if we can start some individual threads discussing the New World Order we are facing? Threads such as:

I started one a week ago here Comic Book Market
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Grocery shopping is more dangerous than playing in traffic Current Headlines....

MAN filmed LICKING Grocery PUSHCARTS

Grocery store throws out $35K worth of food after woman's 'twisted prank' by coughing on food.

New Jersey man who ‘coughed on supermarket worker and told her he had coronavirus’ held on terror charges

Man accused of licking Walmart items in coronavirus prank charged with making terrorist threats (WTF 'accused?!?' bright guy filmed himself!)

A man filmed licking a tub of ice cream will spend 30 days in jail and pay restitution to Blue Bell

If flogging was still an accepted form of punishment, idiot crap like these would be less common
And from the bottom of cesspool of idiots -
College student licked an airplane toilet, "I was like, really annoyed that corona was getting more publicity than me"
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Fool
Grocery shopping is more dangerous than playing in traffic Current Headlines....

If flogging was still an accepted form of punishment, idiot crap like these would be less common
College student licked an airplane toilet, "I was like, really annoyed that corona was getting more publicity than me"

Sometimes there’s karma...or poetic justice...irony? These can be forms of punishment...

influencer reportedly hospitalized with coronavirus after licking toilet
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied

Sounds like an investment opportunity. Is dysentery included?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Fool

MAN filmed LICKING Grocery PUSHCARTS

Grocery store throws out $35K worth of food after woman's 'twisted prank' by coughing on food.

New Jersey man who ‘coughed on supermarket worker and told her he had coronavirus’ held on terror charges

Man accused of licking Walmart items in coronavirus prank charged with making terrorist threats (WTF 'accused?!?' bright guy filmed himself!)

A man filmed licking a tub of ice cream will spend 30 days in jail and pay restitution to Blue Bell

Fingers crossed, heading out on a grocery run in North Jersey. I feel like Glen when he went on his supply runs in the walking dead
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
We are now number 1 in the world. Asking our population to self-distance just didn't work.

Some stuff from a video I posted elsewhere that's an hour long. Some summary points from a coronavirus expert(NOT me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMV-azltXGU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1mJkLMfS-YLB9eKDIej_WiA4zRdcimvGJjydXtEbZsaJIyOa3id4dGLeA):

While people under 19 are not really experiencing severe forms. The 2nd highest hospitalization rate is actually for the 20-44 age group. You're unlikely to go to the ICU or die (comparatively to older groups), but you're taking up hospital resources at the second highest rate:

Herd immunity, even if the death rate is approximately 1/3 of what we have a present (around 1.5%) in the US would lead to over 1 million fatalities. YOu have to get 70% of people infected and recovered. NOte that those who are asymptomatic are NOT producing antibodies and wouldn't count towards this. Also, we don't know about their chances of re-infection

This virus has an insanely long RNA sequence and has the ability to go back and edit after replication. The mutation factor is very, very low. While there is talk of some varieties this is slight genetic drift, not genetic shift. Essentially, there is still only really one version of this virus:

Climate does NOT seem to impact this virus like prior, seasonal infections. Summer will bring no natural reprieve. It's trend in tropical climates is basically identical to non-tropical:

Post 24 IP   flag post
For the malaria drugs they're testing. IN lab (petri dish) settings they chloroquine has been effective at reducing viral load at every stage of infection. This drug (and hydrochloroquine) are prescribed treatments for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. They do this by actually blocking receptors in the cells that allow your immune system to work; but, also block viruses from entering the cells. So they're not usually prescribed unless you have a SEVERE illness. They essentially help to shut down your immune system. The same blocking trait IS working to block the virus from entering the cell and replicating depending on the stage you're using it. The biggest side effect is irregular heart beat that can lead to death. At least one reported death from someone taking this without one of these diseases it's treated for related to the irregular heartbeat. A second drug (that I know nothing about) is also being used, but has major issues if used at the wrong "stage" in the petri-dish trials and so does not appear to be moving forward with clinical trials:

The only publicly (or non-publicly; you'll notice the note at the bottom informing how to cite this data; Dr. Freundt got this directly from conversations with his research colleagues) available data on human testing at present is a 20 person, non-controlled, non-random, non-doulbe-blind project from France. of the 20 people used only 14 ended up being part of this data. 2 people had to be removed because they went into the ICU and couldn't continue with the trial (one of them died) I'm not sure about the other 4. Same result, viral load decrease, but that reduction in viral load did NOT lead to a reduction in symptoms. Since we know somewhere around 20% of people experience severe (need hospital support) and 3-4% die; this doesn't actually allow for determining if it was the drug that made a difference or not. Until the drug(s) can be human tested and we see a reduction in hospitalization, ICU admissions or deaths; it's impossible to tell if it's the drug or just the same, natural statistics during the trials. WAY too early to tell. It's also been tested on 4 primates. 2 were killed during the trial for dissection as part of the work. 2 got better. In total, this kind of early testing that looks promising only results in products being clear to go to market in 27% of cases:

Post 25 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I shopped at Walmart this past Tuesday and the guy ahead of me at the checkout had his cart filled with toilet paper (4-packs) despite the fact there was a sign hanging above the toilet paper that read "LIMIT 1 PER CUSTOMER". The cashier told the man he could only buy 1 pack, but he continued to argue...this went on for several minutes until a Manager intervened and let the guy buy ALL the toilet paper in his cart! People are nuts!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Gratitude for health workers spreads across Europe

Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
I shopped at Walmart this past Tuesday and the guy ahead of me at the checkout had his cart filled with toilet paper (4-packs) despite the fact there was a sign hanging above the toilet paper that read "LIMIT 1 PER CUSTOMER". The cashier told the man he could only buy 1 pack, but he continued to argue...this went on for several minutes until a Manager intervened and let the guy buy ALL the toilet paper in his cart! People are nuts!!

Its people like that guy that set everyone in a panic.

Also the manager was a pushover, he just set a precedent. He should have threatened the guy with the police or security
Post 28 IP   flag post
Whenever you have a monkey riding a horse, I'm in. Tom74152 private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes we don’t know the whole story. We have a childcare facility we’re trying to keep open because we have a lot of doctors & nurses who are parents. Some make it hard to get supplies from our normal channels and are forced to look elsewhere.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom74152
Sometimes we don’t know the whole story. We have a childcare facility we’re trying to keep open because we have a lot of doctors & nurses who are parents. Some make it hard to get supplies from our normal channels and are forced to look elsewhere.

Because of the people who took it too far, I have colleagues with kids who can't get baby wipes, diapers, or basic sanitary supplies for their kids. They've given me a list, that, if I'm out and see it I'm going to buy it. And buy a lot of it, because infants go through those supplies like CRAZY.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597892 999 30