Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

cgc video grading superman 111288

Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Not totally sure how to share the link but on the cgc facebook page there is a video of a grader handling Superman 1. It is shockingly disturbing. I don't even read my own comics that I just bought this way. Check out the vid on their facebook page. I think comictom filmed it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
This might work:

clickable text

I don't even handle my potential $50 comics if they get graded and slabbed as a 9.8 like that. I'm surprised this video is still up on their page.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
there is a video of a grader handling Superman 1. It is shockingly disturbing.

I assume he already was aware of the cut-out page. If he had been grading a higher grade book, then the handling would have been disturbingly rough. But that book in that condition, he wasn't going to lower the grade any unless he really tried to. Kind of like how I sweat over packing and shipping high grade books, but 4.0 and below I can worry a lot less about.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
WOW! Just WOW. One little slip of the hand and Wrriipp! Oops! The way he was cruising through the pages made think that he was ready to do a magic trick and make a quarter appear.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller

A 0.5 goes for around 22k. The difference from a .5 to a 1 is around 70k. It appears we have very different views on handling expensive comics.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing I agree, I was already cringing without even knowing how much that book is worth even with tape on the spine and the missing coupon
Post 6 IP   flag post
I hope CBCS responds with their opinion on the handling of this comic.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
The way he drops his hands at the end, like a poker dealer 🤣

Post 8 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@EbaySeller

A 0.5 goes for around 22k. The difference from a .5 to a 1 is around 70k. It appears we have very different views on handling expensive comics.

Fair enough, allow me to reword: The handling of the book was oddly rough and it made the video worth sharing. But as for grading such an accumulation of defects, he could rip a page, split the spine, probably even write on it with a marker and I think the grade would remain the same. Not that the owner would be too happy with seeing those things happen to their book.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Here's another link to the video from CGC's instagram.

clickable text

The guy handling the comic is Matt Nelson a primary grader at CGC.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of seems like the instagram reaction to the video and reactions here are not really what CGC was hoping for!!

I think @EbaySeller is right...probably not much could have moved the grade but still...yikes!!!

I mean....I'm fine with no gloves and I get that the paper stock was thicker back then but if this is common practice it's best not to let anyone know!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Breaking News: CGC Primary Grader Matt Nelson changes name to Half Nelson after video of him wrestling with a Superman 1 comic valued at more than $20,000 goes viral.

Note: He is of no known relation to forum member Ed Nelson so please refrain from criticizing Ed at this time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Scrolling down that Facebook page there is a video explaining why you grade with no gloves. I just cant fathom it with a mostly black cover for finger prints.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Well bright side at least it wasn't a really high end book like Micronauts 1....
Post 14 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. For a book that valuable I would think more care and a more thorough examination would be required
No check for tares or holes in pages
No check for pages separated from staples
No check for tape on pages or taped or glued in page
No fine check for writing on pages
No check for trimming
No check for color touch
A question arises
Is this a actual grading or just them showing off. “Hey look at us”
I’m sure they don’t see this book everyday so imagine being the owner of this book and seeing them handle his/her book that’s 80+ years old and somewhat brittle
If Me I would drive to CGC and ask to see the owner or main man. I’d play the video and say “WTF”
So even if it was them just showing off my hair would be on fire. It a real shiff show and I would pull that off and tell everyone that they fired that guy.
Here’s another “WOW”. 🖖
Post 15 IP   flag post
And speaking of handling books.
Have you ever watched the Main Street Comics Auction on Facebook.
Or the unpacking of their new shipment
There’s a real “WOW”
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I hope CBCS responds with their opinion on the handling of this comic.

why should they?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
Wow. For a book that valuable I would think more care and a more thorough examination would be required
No check for tares or holes in pages
No check for pages separated from staples
No check for tape on pages or taped or glued in page
No fine check for writing on pages
No check for trimming
No check for color touch
A question arises
Is this a actual grading or just them showing off. “Hey look at us”
I’m sure they don’t see this book everyday so imagine being the owner of this book and seeing them handle his/her book that’s 80+ years old and somewhat brittle
If Me I would drive to CGC and ask to see the owner or main man. I’d play the video and say “WTF”
So even if it was them just showing off my hair would be on fire. It a real shiff show and I would pull that off and tell everyone that they fired that guy.
Here’s another “WOW”. 🖖

it is not a secret that if you wish best grade for your books you walk in during a con
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector MightyThor460 private msg quote post Address this user
I think there is a solid disconnect from the way those in the business handle books and the way us collectors handle them. I was shocked when I discovered Diamond just stacks books in a box with no protection when they ship the new books. It explains a lot. But it also begs the question, are the pros too cavalier or are do we care too much?
Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I'm in the minority here. I didn't see any terrible man-handling. The pages were supple (not brittle) and the guy is the head grader at CGC. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he knows exactly what he's doing.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I guess I'm in the minority here. I didn't see any terrible man-handling. The pages were supple (not brittle) and the guy is the head grader at CGC. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he knows exactly what he's doing.

I’m just saying driving a 2010 Honda with 300,000 miles on it is one thing
Driving a Ferrari or a Lamborghini etc
Deserves a little more respect
Yeah he can drive but my Ferrari “NO”
“I have spoken”. Lol. 🖖
Post 21 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
That video is playing fast. I think the book was handled appropriately. But the speed of that video made me cringe as he seemingly whizzed through that book 😬 whoever edited the video made poor choices.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
He seems to have known about the missing coupon. I would suspect that the book was graded and then for promotion purposes, the comic being a superman 1 and all, they decided to "recreate" the process and call it a page count check.

Also we do not know the specific grader's process. Does the grader prefer to count the pages and then go through a comprehensive grading process or does he grade and then count the pages.

However, it doesn't excuse the handling. The last time CBCS was at NYCC, Steve Borock handled my X-men 4 (1991) like it was an X-men 4 (1963).
Post 23 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Upon slowing down the playback speed, you can clearly see the book being handled roughly.

To me, it looked worse than it really was just based on the speed of the playback. Comics aren't like babies where you can just manhandle them. They need to be treated with kindness and care.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This guy did a youtube video on it. You can skip the first 3:50 of it. He definitely is worked up over it!!!

Post 25 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
To me, it looked worse than it really was just based on the speed of the playback. Comics aren't like babies where you can just manhandle them. They need to be treated with kindness and care.

You manhandle babies?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I can neither confirm nor deny that. I will admit to enjoying the practice of making them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I showed my wife the video that @Jesse_O posted. First I want to mention that my wife sees me use gloves sometimes like when reading my Doomsday Clock books or evaluating my older books. I also told her that the book is worth about $20K. Here is my wife's comments. "So this book is worth $20K, why is he not wearing gloves?" She also said this guy looks like a serial killer with his glasses over his hat. She said he give guys like me who love comics a bad image. She said "look at this guy getting all worked up over this" I invite you guys to show this to your spouse. It would be interesting to get feedback of their views.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
This guy did a youtube video on it. You can skip the first 3:50 of it. He definitely is worked up over it!!!

"LOOK AT THAT! LOOK... AT... THAT"

lolololololololololool
Post 30 IP   flag post
601456 80 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?