Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Spandex free zone! What non spandex are you reading?11208

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Getting a bit burnt out on the current spandex crowd!

Re-launch/re-boot/new #1 issues/new characters to toss aside in a few months...lather, rinse, repeat every few years!

Really liking Five Years by Terry Moore - always great art and stories.
Just getting into the 'Hill House' comics; so far all titles have been enjoyable (new title 'Plunge' just out - haven't read it yet but so far not disappointed) - like a breath of fresh air to have engaging stories without the cape and cowl set.

Ascender, Stranger Things and Oblivion are also long running respites from re-boot buffoonery!

About the only spandex I still read are Immortal Hulk and anything Jeff Lemire - Black Hammer and related spin offs.

Any suggestions for series old or new without spandex that you like?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I'm very close to halting all new comic book buying for your reasons. On top of that, the resale of new comics just isn't there. $5.00 cover price - resale $1.00. Time to switch to GA/SA only.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Jeez, it took me a complete read to figure out what spandex meant. Have you read Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing?
Manhattan Projects is kind of Rick and Morty-ish, I kind of burned out on it but it had it's moments.

How about where the spandex is secondary to a really good story:
1: Astro City Confessor
2) Omega Men This Is The End
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
As far as recent stuff, Dying is Easy from IDW caught my attention. Bad Reception was cool but I have no idea if issues 4 and 5 are coming out. I got into some of the dystopian society stuff in the last few years. Lantern City and Invisible Republic come to mind. Sons of the Devil was neat. The two IDW produced Winter World series. I'm sure there are others.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Non spandex recommendations? Jeff Smith’s “Bone” comes immediately to mind. “Journey” is a must read. The Conan titles are always good, especially “Savage Sword”. I like the Harvey characters for a light diversion, also Bugs Bunny and the Barks Duck Comics. The EC line provides an interesting mix of non-spandex genres, with great art throughout. I could go on, but that’s a pretty good start.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Been enjoying the new Firefly series from Boom.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
Possibly the best non-spandex comics ever made are Love and Rockets by Los Bros Hernandez. Fantastic stories, detailed character building, great art. Everything about it is great and very under-appreciated.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

Jeez, it took me a complete read to figure out what spandex meant. Have you read Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing?
Manhattan Projects is kind of Rick and Morty-ish, I kind of burned out on it but it had it's moments.

How about where the spandex is secondary to a really good story:
1: Astro City Confessor
2) Omega Men This Is The End

Swampthing is great - especially Moore's run...may have to re-read!

Yes! Where spandex is secondary Astro City is great!! I also really liked the Tom Strong, Top 10, Promethia...pretty much all the America's Best Comics titles.

Never herd of Omega Men This is the End....will have to look into it
Post 8 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Have you tried Hellblazer? I wasn’t turned onto it until a year ago or so, now I’m at volume 16.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp I have to agree about Conan and SS of Conan. I usually read those first when I get my pull list stack from the LCS. I feel like I can put myself into the Hyborian Age and escape reality for a short time. It really helps me relax.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I'm very close to halting all new comic book buying for your reasons. On top of that, the resale of new comics just isn't there. $5.00 cover price - resale $1.00. Time to switch to GA/SA only.

I was spending like $200.00/mo for what amounts to FOMO. and realizing what a waste it was for what were marginal (at best) writing and usually art. I cancelled everything in November. If something "big" happens I'll wait 6 mo for the bubble to burst and spend the $15-20 on picking it up. Meanwhile, if the completionist in me can't live without the GL series I can pick-up the entire run for under $10.00 in the next couple of years. The "events" i've enjoyed, but the ongoing titles from pretty much everyone has been shit for 2+ years.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley Winter World was great...if I remember the 1st series was actually a reprint from a 70's?? DC Winter World publication...might have to track down the 1st prints
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Locke & Key
Kill or be killed
Jimmy's Bastards
Hellblazer
Sandman (Gaiman)
Transmetropolitain
Scalped
League of extraordinary gentlemen
Tomb of Dracula (1st series)
American Vampire
Fables
The Goddamned
Cerebus
Y the last man
Runaways
100 bullets
House of secrets (Vertigo)
Welcome to the doll house

Just to name a few.....
Post 13 IP   flag post
Haven't read Conan in a long, long time...might have to pick it up again - used to really love the magazine sized ones back in the day.

@Donnied you know..Love and Rockets is something I've always been aware of but never got round to reading....seems like I'll have to pick up a trade as the first prints are pricey and impossible to find.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Have you tried Hellblazer? I wasn’t turned onto it until a year ago or so, now I’m at volume 16.

Maybe I'll have to pickup where I left off...think I stopped Hellblazer after the first 5 issues and Sandman around issue 20 I dropped off...
Post 15 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
It’s gets grittier the farther you get. There is an issue somewhere around 105-115 called The Crib, easily the craziest thing I’ve ever read.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Voodoo_Jim private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to get more books via Kickstarter, Etsy, and directly from artists these days.

Imaginary Voyages of Edgar Allen Poe (they are up to issue #6)
EAP traveling through the horrors of his imagination

The Crossing (1-4)
The spirits of those killed in car/train accidents stay with the drivers. It appears there may be connection among the dead...

Escape From Jesus Island (1-4)
The quest for a piece of the true cross is an attempt to acquire DNA in order to clone Jesus.

Wendigo Wood (1-3)
Folk horror in the UK countryside where a war vet thinks he may have a lead on his daughter who went missing years ago.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Voodoo_Jim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

I was spending like $200.00/mo for what amounts to FOMO. and realizing what a waste it was for what were marginal (at best) writing and usually art. I cancelled everything in November. If something "big" happens I'll wait 6 mo for the bubble to burst and spend the $15-20 on picking it up. Meanwhile, if the completionist in me can't live without the GL series I can pick-up the entire run for under $10.00 in the next couple of years. The "events" i've enjoyed, but the ongoing titles from pretty much everyone has been shit for 2+ years.

I was doing the same - my "standard" monthlies are down to Batman, Detective, Hellblazer, Daredevil, Dr. Strange and Usagi Yojimbo. It felt good to drop a pile of titles I hadn't cared about in years!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
If you like Rucka then try the Old Guard. Only 5 books in the first installment and I think we are through 3 of the 5 in the second one. For some reason it reminds me of a story that Frank Miller should have done when he was at the height of his abilities.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
If you like Rucka then try the Old Guard. Only 5 books in the first installment and I think we are through 3 of the 5 in the second one. For some reason it reminds me of a story that Frank Miller should have done when he was at the height of his abilities.

Nice! I remember the old Rucka Queen and Country was great...I then followed him into main stream DC work but kind of lost track of his work...will have to check it out
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector KMiracleman private msg quote post Address this user
This is a great thread idea! I would highly recommend any of Evan Dorkin's work, especially "Milk & Cheese" and the early issues of "Dork" (both are available in cheap trades from Dark Horse). For those (like me) long ago burnt out on "event" comics, his one-shot called "World's Funniest" (published by DC) parodies them like no one else ever has. You can find it for cheap. Also recommend Chris Ware's "ACME Novelty Library" and Daniel Clowes's "Eightball". Incidentally, all of these were written in the same period as Love & Rockets (which is also excellent). For a more contemporary title, I can't recommend Emil Ferris's "My Favorite Thing is Monsters" (Fantagraphics) and Mariko Tamaki's "This One Summer", and a one-shot GN called "Iron: or the War After" (Archaia Press) highly enough.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If I wanna try a series, I wait for the Trade now. Singles take up too much space & id rather read a full arc than wait month to month for the next chapter.

Does Howard the Duck count?

I’m still reading & loving the first “complete collection” volume of the original series.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
100 Bullets. You can pick the series up in TPB to cut cost.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Currently: INVISIBLE KINGDOM (Willow Wilson / Christian Ward)- Dark Horse Comics
Post 25 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Never herd of Omega Men This is the End....will have to look into it

Check it out. It's surprisingly complex, a lot of "gray area" characters. The artwork augments the story nicely and the ending doesn't let you down.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm about half way through the trade of Frank Miller's Ronin. It's a book that I have always wanted to read and just never got around to getting a copy. It was one of the readers that a forum member sent me. If you like science fiction, it's a very riveting read.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been enjoying horror comics the past few months. Hill House comics from DC are really good.
Gideon Falls
Cult classic creature feature
Dark red
Manor Black
The Creeps
The electric black
Post 28 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
There is a new sci-fi series coming from Image called Decorum. I already have #1 on preorder, but this variant from The Comic Mint looks pretty wicked!!! Here's the short blurb from Image. I didn't find the Previews ad, but that was pretty vague if I recall correctly.

Here is the TCM variant. It goes on sale this afternoon. Honestly, I think it would make a cool poster!!

Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
There is a new sci-fi series coming from Image called Decorum. I already have #1 on preorder, but this variant from The Comic Mint looks pretty wicked!!! Here's the short blurb from Image. I didn't find the Previews ad, but that was pretty vague if I recall correctly.

Here is the TCM variant. It goes on sale this afternoon. Honestly, I think it would make a cool poster!!

Is that General Grievous!!!???
Post 30 IP   flag post
600640 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?