Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

What do you think of this book?11183

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I have several Turok books I picked up from a clearance bin. This one in particular is rough. Lots of tape and I ended up adding tape to the center fold to keep it falling apart (why not if it already had the entire cover taped).

To me its a cool find; its from 1963 and currently the oldest book i own.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
It's a great "reader" copy. I don't think you would want to get it graded tough. Enjoy!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I think books like this tell a great story. Obviously, someone liked this comic enough to tape up all the weak and torn spots when it became worn out from reading. I'm glad it found a home with someone who likes it just as equally.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I really like the cover art and I think the age it shows adds to the barbaric feel.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
It's a survivor, that's for sure. Everybody appreciates a survivor. Who knows, that book could have traveled to Vietnam in the late 60's and come back to the US in the early 70's.
Whenever I see a well-enjoyed book like that, first I'm thinking how many hands that 12 cent purchase has passed through. Second I'm thinking how amazing that it never ended up in a fireplace or landfill.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
It's a survivor, that's for sure. Everybody appreciates a survivor. Who knows, that book could have traveled to Vietnam in the late 60's and come back to the US in the early 70's.
Whenever I see a well-enjoyed book like that, first I'm thinking how many hands that 12 cent purchase has passed through. Second I'm thinking how amazing that it never ended up in a fireplace or landfill.

I’m a “one mans trash is another mans treasure” kind of collector. Ive only been collecting for a little more than a year and have 750-800 books on hand. I’ve sold or given away about 50 books. These kinds books are most intriguing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
It's a cool piece to have. Turok is a great character. I did the exact same thing with a messed up copy of The Legion of Monsters #1 I bought for the only purpose of reading. My Dad gave me a copy of this magazine when I was a kid & I didn't take care of it. So now that I'm grown up, I wanted it again.

It had severe water damage. The front & rear covers were stuck to the interior first & last pages. Pieces were missing.

I had to add pieces and use lamination sheets on the outer & inner front & rear covers. Then I restapled the covers back to the magazine, going through into the centerfold. Now its water proof and tear proof. My wife & I enjoy it whenever wherever.

Here's the laminate I used:

Font cover with pieces added:

Interior front cover with pieces added:

Centerfold with new staples:

Rear cover with tears sealed with laminate:

Interior rear cover:

Picture of my reader copy beside my personal collection copy:

Pictures of my personal collection copy:

Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice for all the reasons discussed here, but I personally would have no interest in obtaining these types of tattered books.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
It’s the kind of book I’d take if it were given to me. The cover is cool, though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
👍Nice pickup! Comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. If you read and enjoyed it then it was money well spent!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Turok is one of the greatest comic series of all time, begun around 1953 in four color comics....I believe the first two issues were 596 and 656, if I remember correctly....after being a Dell title, it became gold key and towards the end there were even Wittman variants.
The series ran from its beginning in the fifties all the way untill the late seventies with perhaps issue 129 if I remember right.
These old books are great....most of the original run have painted covers, rather than being produced like typical comics. Even better , some of the original turoks had a foldout cover flap of the cover art, long before anyone ever thought of making such things. The stories are fun, and often there are one page stories about various aspects of prehistoric life.
The book shows its age and use, but for a reading copy sure why not...its far more wondrous to get caught up in what the inside of the comic has to offer and the story tells, than sitting around complaining about the condition and cover and missing the entire point of the book. There is far more to comics than worrying about condition...enjoy the story and art, and perhaps someday also acquire a better copy as a keeper as well.

Here is a model I sometimes share, that I had done of Turok by a professional in Britain...love the piece
Post 11 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Nice for all the reasons discussed here, but I personally would have no interest in obtaining these types of tattered books.
just interested what books do you collect Red?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user

One of my best flea market finds as a collector. Came back 3.5 after grading.

The seller knew what he had, though. Paid $75 for it. Still not bad.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
👍Nice pickup! Comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. If you read and enjoyed it then it was money well spent!

50 cents was worth it

@Darkseid_of_town Maybe I miss understood or perhaps you were speaking in general; but I am in no way complaining. I hope i find a better copy, but whats the point of collecting if you’re not reading them.

Cool model BTW.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yes you misunderstood, and congrats on such a neat book, regardless the condition.

The model is one of my little special joys and I treasure it always....ty

I have the entire run of turok, another labor of love...and over the years I began with some copies not much better than yours and upgraded when and where I could....finding those old books back into the golden age in higher grade is a challenge beyond most runs you might try to complete...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

One of my best flea market finds as a collector. Came back 3.5 after grading.

The seller knew what he had, though. Paid $75 for it. Still not bad.
Slim an amazing find and awesome book. I love the vintage dinosaurs in the artwork....coupled with modern reconstructions we can surmise if you stood a Tyrannosaurus or Allosaurus erect in the positions shown there it would be necessary to break the spine in something like 9 places...ao much changes in science over 60-70 years. Love that old vintage artwork and the way the cover were painted.

While this comic draws the credit as being the first turok, if you can ever find a copy of Space Western #45 which preceded it, the book tells the story of an indian and his companion who get lost in a valley full of dinosaurs....hmmm
Post 16 IP   flag post
Here’s all the Turoks I grabbed and a Korak for good measure.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Quote:

I seem to have a weakness for higher grade books. This is the main reason I will never end up owning many Key books.

Take for instance Incredible Hulk #181. I would love to own that book, but as a more modern book, I could Never justify spending money on anything less than a 9.2 - 9.4 with a perfect cover wrap. I would just never be happy with a low grade copy of the book and the prices of the higher grades are far beyond my budget.

Let's take a major grail like Amazing Fantasy #15. Not that I can even afford a beater copy, but I just would never be happy with a tattered low grade book, and even more so if I had to give thousands of dollars for it.

There's just something in the beauty of a high grade book. Sometimes I find myself obtaining books based solely on the beauty of their condition, regardless of anything else.

Although I do not actively pursue the Turok title. If I did, I would most certainly be focused on at least 8.0 VFN or higher grades.

Right now the best Turok book I own is this blazing Mint Book!

Post 18 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Quote:

I seem to have a weakness for higher grade books. This is the main reason I will never end up owning many Key books.

Take for instance Incredible Hulk #181. I would love to own that book, but as a more modern book, I could Never justify spending money on anything less than a 9.2 - 9.4 with a perfect cover wrap. I would just never be happy with a low grade copy of the book and the prices of the higher grades are far beyond my budget.

Let's take a major grail like Amazing Fantasy #15. Not that I can even afford a beater copy, but I just would never be happy with a tattered low grade book, and even more so if I had to give thousands of dollars for it.

There's just something in the beauty of a high grade book. Sometimes I find myself obtaining books based solely on the beauty of their condition, regardless of anything else.

Although I do not actively pursue the Turok title. If I did, I would most certainly be focused on at least 8.0 VFN or higher grades.

Right now the best Turok book I own is this blazing Mint Book!

cool man we basically collect them same then. But I’d take a rag if AF 15 lol
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Steverogers11 I would most certainly "Take" a rag AF#15, to immediately sell so I could get some higher grade books.

But..... if I had to lay out thousands of dollars of my money for a "Rag AF#15"? Im out!
Post 20 IP   flag post
598065 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?