Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I posed this question on facebook and was hoping to get some feedback here. I bid on an auction yesterday. I was outbid and received an email stating this. Today I added a comic to my cart, went to checkout and noticed said comic is in my cart. How is this even possible? Can you retract auction bids? I also never got an email saying I won the item.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing Very strange. I've never used their auction. Do you still want the book ? If you do sweet.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@southerncross I do but for some reason I would like to know what happened. I feel like I got bid up and then someone retracted their bid. Book is rather expensive. Giant size X-men for 1777.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe the rules are that if the high bidder decides to not pay then the next higher bidder gets it? I think Ebay has the same policy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Could be an issue where the overbidder’s payment was rejected or declined.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch. Can you email them and have them explain what the hell happened. If it was a bid by the owner no way would you be comfortable that it was a fair auction that reflects true market value.
Also you thought you were outbid and may have pulled the trigger on another copy.
If it was a $20 book no probs but you're talking serious money here.
Maybe you already put bid on another.
Not good.
Find out mate that's what I'd do just to make sure everything is kosher
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Very strange, I wasn't aware that you could retract bids on MCS. Also you have two weeks to pay once you win an auction and maybe even more if you contact them asking for an extension. The easy answer is to contact them to find out what's happening. I would also hang onto the email and say that you want to know if the winning bidder's highest bid was retracted or all bids? I think all of a bidders bids should be retracted if you were only bidding against one bidder at the end and you should potentially be able to get it for a lower price.

The other good thing is that you're not going crazy, someone did in fact outbid you. I can confirm this because I was watching the auction (not bidding on it) and you also sent me that pm saying you didn't win (in case you are questioning your sanity).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Is it possible there was more than one book available?

I guess that still doesn't answer why you never got notice, though...
Post 8 IP   flag post
@flanders

Good info. I went to call them right away and their customer service was already closed. I was wondering how much time I had to pay. I will give them a call tomorrow and report back. I wonder if I can get a little kick back Still, I think I got the comic for a good price. 7.5 white pages for 1777 is right at what I wanted to pay.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Very strange, I wasn't aware that you could retract bids on MCS. Also you have two weeks to pay once you win an auction and maybe even more if you contact them asking for an extension. The easy answer is to contact them to find out what's happening. I would also hang onto the email and say that you want to know if the winning bidder's highest bid was retracted or all bids? I think all of a bidders bids should be retracted if you were only bidding against one bidder at the end and you should potentially be able to get it for a lower price.

The other good thing is that you're not going crazy, someone did in fact outbid you. I can confirm this because I was watching the auction (not bidding on it) and you also sent me that pm saying you didn't win (in case you are questioning your sanity).

Good point
Post 10 IP   flag post
So customer service on facebook told me the guy who outbid me was just messing with the auction so his bid was removed. I than asked if it was just one bid. Obviously if he bid me up several times, those bids should be null and void. Waiting to hear back.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied
Maybe the rules are that if the high bidder decides to not pay then the next higher bidder gets it? I think Ebay has the same policy.

buyer has 2 weeks to pay so not within same day
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@flanders

Good info. I went to call them right away and their customer service was already closed. I was wondering how much time I had to pay. I will give them a call tomorrow and report back. I wonder if I can get a little kick back Still, I think I got the comic for a good price. 7.5 white pages for 1777 is right at what I wanted to pay.

you have 2 weeks to pay for items won on aution
Post 13 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I was bidding on a fantastic four 1, did get outbid and lost. I got a message from eBay, I think it said second chance notice, the highest bidder backed out and the seller went to the 2nd highest bidder (me), so I gladly paid 2300 for it, it's currently at Cbcs, hoping for a 1.5-1.8? But I had the choice to accept the offer or decline it. It didn't automatically go to my cart. Definitely worth checking into it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Batman66

Yeah, I know that happens on ebay. Didn't think something similar happens at mycomicshop. The facebook rep never responded back even after seeing my statement about shill bids. Hoping for a further discount after I talk to them on the phone tomorrow.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Batman66

Yeah, I know that happens on ebay. Didn't think something similar happens at mycomicshop. The facebook rep never responded back even after seeing my statement about shill bids. Hoping for a further discount after I talk to them on the phone tomorrow.
im sorry I forgot you said mycomicshop, even it being in the title, I just went to Ebay in my head being the norm. I've never bid on any other auctions outside of Ebay. I really need to expand my horizons. Keep us informed on the outcome, thanks
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I have bid and won books in the MCS auctions for at least say seven years give or take, and never had that happen. It is highly unusual but if someone was tampering with the sale and had their bids remoed it makes sense.

Also you technically get three weeks to pay your bids...payment is expected in two weeks and you can extend it another week by notifying Este.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I than asked if it was just one bid. Obviously if he bid me up several times, those bids should be null and void. Waiting to hear back.

I think this is important. If a fake bidder was running up the price, you should know the highest real bid other than your own. Hopefully you can get a look at the bid history? I think I would ask for that before paying.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller

I can see the bids but not who bid. Mycomicshop should have all that information. I will give them a call when I get a break at work. Conversation should be interesting.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Remember MCS is just a facilitator. I doubt they will reduce price further. They can always buy the item for their own inventory or go back and ask seller whether wish to relist
Post 21 IP   flag post
@poka
They are still responsible for running a legal auction without unscrupulous behavior.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
@poka
They are still responsible for running a legal auction without unscrupulous behavior.

Which they did when they removed the winning bid
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
@poka

Exactly
Post 24 IP   flag post
@poka

If he made several bids then they did not do their job. All of his bids should be removed.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
You should only be paying the next increment above the second highest legitimate bidder, and no more than that. If they're making you pay more, dispute the living HELL out of it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@agamoto
I got offered what my highest bid was at. I am not obligated to buy it though. I called and they said that I was competing against legit bidders til the last bid. I think I still got the comic for a decent price so I plan to just buy it. Was hoping for a discount but you can't win them all.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Should have held out for them to include a free facsimile edition, free shipping, and breakfast with Kevin Feige !
Post 28 IP   flag post
I went to checkout when I got home and just noticed that the comic is not in my cart anymore...wtf I was told I had 2 weeks to checkout. This was according the the customer service rep I talked to on the phone. I am not a happy camper.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
That makes no sense. Hope you're not in the middle of a mood swing.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597983 65 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?