Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Things were better back then!!10276

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
my solution to texting and driving.

Make all cars manual transmissions again and get rid of power steering - used to love the wheel just spinning back after a corner

Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
News stand comics were more affordable and available everywhere - even today the books I most covet were news stand (silver and bronze age baby!!!!).
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
maybe you should get a Delorean?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Make all cars manual transmissions again and get rid of power steering - used to love the wheel just spinning back after a corner

its difficult enough driving and eating a bowl of cereal with an automatic, I guess I'm up for the challenge
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Seven channels on a clear, sunny day, three channels the rest of the time. I can't say I really miss it.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Rabbit ears & Roku. Haven't had a TV bill in over 5 years.
MagicJack ($35/year - yes, that's a YEAR) Haven't had a phone bill in 5 years.

Don't miss either of them one bit. Generational thing?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Commodore 64 and 128 and playing M.U.L.E Mechanized utilitarian laboring Equipment I think it was....128 whole kilobytes of memory for real
Post 7 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Dial-up internet connection ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. am I connected yet???
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Dial-up internet connection ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. am I connected yet???
This and setting it to download four songs....which took all night!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
People had to wait for you to get home before they could call you. I miss that.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Female bodies weren't covered with tats and piercings.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
For a quarter you could buy 2 comics and a piece of penny candy.
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Female bodies weren't covered with tats and piercings.

I had to have some work done on running a water line from a shared well to a house. This woman showed up to give an estimate. She was covered in tattoos and more shrapnel than if she had been hit with a grenade. I know it was wrong, but she made me fear for my life. She didn't get the job.
Post 13 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I still only buy manual trans vehicles for my daily drivers.
Currently drive a 2002 F150 ext cab XL 4X4 V8.
Manual Transmission, windows, locks, mirrors, seats, and rubber mat floor. Took a while to find it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Darkseid, I actually ran a business using my Commodore 64 and dot matrix printer! I remember my mom turning the porch light on to let us know it was time to come home for dinner! Kept us close and safe.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
My folks live in a small town, in the house my Dad built in 1991. They never locked their front door until a couple years ago. And I mean, they didn’t lock up even to go to town.

I’m nostalgic for the time my parents felt safe to leave the house unlocked.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
My folks live in a small town, in the house my Dad built in 1991. They never locked their front door until a couple years ago. And I mean, they didn’t lock up even to go to town.

Yeah, but it's always been just a feeling. Crime is largely down, especially since the 80s. But people "feel" less safe. Yes I understand that generality may not apply to the neighborhood changes your, specific, parents have seen; more making a general comment about the gap between perception and reality.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Rabbit ears & Roku. Haven't had a TV bill in over 5 years.
MagicJack ($35/year - yes, that's a YEAR) Haven't had a phone bill in 5 years.

Don't miss either of them one bit. Generational thing?

I just recently went this route with cable tv. I watch a lot of YouTube on my tv to catch up on the news. I do not miss having a cable bill!! I pay $50 a month for high speed internet through AT&T and that's it. I used to have service through Comcast/Xfinity and they were going to raise my cable & internet service to over $100 per month so that is when I decided to ditch the cable altogether. I used to have MagicJack and it was affordable, but I have a cell phone so really don't need another phone.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
News stand comics were more affordable and available everywhere - even today the books I most covet were news stand (silver and bronze age baby!!!!).

I want those days back!!!!!!!!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a new car in 2017; it has no power locks windows, etc... I can fix the mechanics if these things break, but the electronics make it nearly impossible to do your own work.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Quote:

its difficult enough driving and eating a bowl of cereal with an automatic, I guess I'm up for the challenge

Amateur!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

this is still possible. My great aunt lives in a house by herself and she leaves the door OPEN every night to get the night breeze. of course she lives in Mexico in a tiny town of about 90 people and most importantly, she sleep with a gun by her bed.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I seriously miss the early ‘80s. Comics were 50 or 60 cents each and you had at least 3 or 4 neighborhood sources within walking distance. Comic shops were a brand new thing 🤩.

On the other hand, in spite of maintaining that I would be the last caveman who never got a cel phone, I now use the darn thing for just about everything, including this post🤔.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 25 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO

mm
Post 26 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
“Things ain't what they used to be and probably never was.”

― Will Rogers
Post 27 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Trick or Treating was fun when I was a kid. Knocking on doors until 9pm without adult supervision, not having to worry about poison, razor blades, or Serial Kllers- A true shame.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Things I remember about being a kid in the 1970's -

You could get more bubble gum for a quarter than you could shove in your mouth.

You could ride a bike without a helmet.

You spent Saturdays at the mall in the video arcade.

You put your quarter on the video game of choice if someone was playing it. It held your slot in line and nobody stole it.

You would dream of the next set of trucks and wheels you were saving to buy.

It drove you crazy to wait for the next Star Wars movie to come out.

Your mom would make you carry a quarter when you left the house in case you had to make a phone call.

Nothing was open late at night nor on Sundays.

IT WAS HEAVEN.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user

I am sure most of us collected them all.

Best candy bar ever. Long out of production.

Need I say more?
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 71 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?