Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Weekly Cover Contest #163 - Battle of the MONSTERS!10254

Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
OK, so I'm confused as to whether the posted deadline applies or not. The top entries were tied at 21 when I last posted, which was about midnight Central time, an hour after voting was supposed to end. Which is why I mentioned we'd need to dust off the tiebreaker rules.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
OK, so I'm confused as to whether the posted deadline applies or not. The top entries were tied at 21 when I last posted, which was about midnight Central time, an hour after voting was supposed to end. Which is why I mentioned we'd need to dust off the tiebreaker rules.

The posted deadline does apply and should be strict. Problem is the voting deadline ends at midnight when most everyone is asleep and there is hardly any activity on the board to verify. The tie breaker rules are not the problem, it's verification of the winner when forum activity is dead. The deadline is set, we just need someone available to verify the results.
Post 77 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers if you (or anyone) feel an error has occurred then you have every right to call a halt to the process and we come up with a resolution.
Post 78 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was tied at midnight EDT. Plus, I'm not disagreeing with Mr. Sigs. I just remember looking at it later since it was my votes that tied it at 21 apiece.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Or @CatCovers and I can collaborate & come up with this weeks new contest through PM. We can both be last weeks winner(s).
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Or @CatCovers and I can collaborate & come up with this weeks new contest through PM. We can both be last weeks winner(s).

Or we cut the prize in half...
Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I thought it was tied at midnight EDT. Plus, I'm not disagreeing with Mr. Sigs. I just remember looking at it later since it was my votes that tied it at 21 apiece.

I'm not disagreeing with him either but I'm beginning to wonder if there may have been some confusion/mistake with the midnight voting deadline.

Mr_Sigs resides in the PST zone which means 9:00 pm would be the deadline for voting in his neck of the woods. His vote bumped Gana's entry to 24 but if there was a mistake and the vote was submitted after 9:00 then that would account for the late vote.

Many are confident that the voting was tied between Gana and Cat at the deadline with 21 votes. If this is the case then @CatComics would be the winner because he has 6 (3 check mark) votes while @GanaSoth had 5 (3 check mark) votes when they were tied.

So the question is, was there a mistake and Mr_Sigs vote was cast after 9:00 pm his time.

Did all this make any sense? LOL
Post 82 IP   flag post
I sent Sigs a PM so we can get his input on this once again since he was the last person to vote for Gana's entry. Was there a mistake made due to the time zone deadline?

We need to get this wrapped up.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Eeny Meeny Miney Mo...
Post 84 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
Eeny Meeny Miney Mo...

LOL
Post 85 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It is a possibility it was after 9pm (my time) but I'm pretty sure I logged in and voted well before that (it was a work night).

Not sure what to do with this one, and I'm hoping I didn't mess things up too much. I suppose a "Voted" post would help time stamp an individual's choices. If others specifically recall the number of votes at the deadline, then I'd go with that, because that's stronger than the "feeling" I have that mine was on time.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Thanks for taking the time, Scott.

At the voting deadline we have a tie between CatCovers and GanaSoth, both with 21 votes. Since CatCovers had more 3 check mark votes at the time, this makes him the winner as per the tie breaker rules.

Congrats @CatCovers. Okay buddy, time to get a new party started.
Post 87 IP   flag post
I just sent Cat a PM letting him know.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Thanks for taking the time, Scott.

Always happy to help with my screw ups, Bill LOL

Just a thought that I'm not sure would work with the way "we" currently submit covers, but since voting doesn't start until Wednesdays, people PM their submission to Jesse_O (you started it!), who, after a Tuesday[?] cutoff, posts the covers anonymously (copy/paste).

This idea has nothing to do with this week, it's more for the "popularity contest" concerns here recently. I'm just bringing it up now because I'm here, and I'm thinking of it. lol

I'm trying to think how we can avoid this week's boner from popping up again without bogging the thread with "Voted" posts, or requiring us to ALSO type out our choices at the time we vote in order to confirm numbers. That kind of thing may discourage people for various reasons.
Post 89 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s another thought. Instead of ending the contest at midnight, have it end at 8 AM on Friday morning. I am an early riser (5 AM) and I am rarely awake at midnight on a workday.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry guys. My first attempt at hosting a contest turned out so poorly.

And thanks for the help in sorting it all out.

Wally
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
And congratulations @Cat_Covers! It looks like Fin Fang Foom in his drawers did the trick
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Here’s another thought. Instead of ending the contest at midnight, have it end at 8 AM on Friday morning. I am an early riser (5 AM) and I am rarely awake at midnight on a workday.

I like the idea of having the voting deadline end some time during the day.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Just a thought that I'm not sure would work with the way "we" currently submit covers, but since voting doesn't start until Wednesdays, people PM their submission to Jesse_O (you started it!), who, after a Tuesday[?] cutoff, posts the covers anonymously (copy/paste).

That actually sounds like fun. But one problem I foresee... since submitters can't see what covers have already been entered in the contest, Jesse will have to contact the submitter informing them the cover is taken.

But anonymous entries does sound like fun.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
how about Friday morning at 7 or 8 AM.. central time that would give the 3rd shifters/night owls a shot.. still plenty of time to get the next contest up and going.. even if it starts Saturday in the am.. there's still plenty of time..
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

That actually sounds like fun. But one problem I foresee... since submitters can't see what covers have already been entered in the contest, Jesse will have to contact the submitter informing them the cover is taken.

But anonymous entries does sound like fun.

Very good point. Sucks for you @Jesse_O lol
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

A fix for that problem could be Jesse posting the books in the thread as they arrive in his PM, and keeping the thread locked until the voting deadline. Users can at least see what covers have already been taken.

@Jesse_O we're just conjuring up ideas to keep you from being bored. LOL
Post 97 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A fix for that problem could be Jesse posting the books in the thread as they arrive in his PM, and keeping the thread locked until the voting deadline. Users can at least see what covers have already been taken.

I feel the love!!!! LOL!!!

One glaring problem here, pictures cannot be sent by pm on the forum. At least, I haven't figured out an easy way to do it yet.
Post 98 IP   flag post

I can post so many things that would get me in trouble, so

Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can still vote on posts in a locked thread.
Post 100 IP   flag post
I'm not sure I see the popularity contest aspect of it. Of course there could be things going on behind the scenes I'm not aware of. There are people on here that I get along with better than others, but it really doesn't influence something as trivial as who posts the best cover in an obscure Internet comic book message board cover contest. Just my thought.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can still vote on posts in a locked thread.

That's true. So it wouldn't prevent somebody from accidentally liking a book and not paying attention to what thread they are in. I've done that a couple times myself.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Since everything has gone more or less smoothly for 163-ish contests, just roll with it instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Again, just my 2¢.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Well, that's a skin-of-the-teeth win. Sorry for all the confusion.

I've got a couple of ideas for a Halloween-themed contest. Just trying to decide if the one I like better is too close to another we've already had. Will have the new contest up shortly.
Post 104 IP   flag post
601308 104 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?