4 sharp corners
No fading
No foxing
No rust
No restoration
OW/White pages

Raw grade it?
Slab it?

Does checkmark only apply for internal issues? All stains and the chip are visible.

How does CBCS treat small stains and small chips? In your experiences.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Cant do photos, I'm on the go.
Silver age book.

Looking for general opinion of features, if book will be treated harshly or not.

The spine chip is at a corner, and impacts the next wrap - becomes a "split"?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Stains are just on the cover - dont penetrate beyond.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Not that I am good at grading or anything, but i would think if it is a key vs random book would make a difference....
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Bronte it's a key book
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Grade all keys, pretty much
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man

Looking for general opinion of features, if book will be treated harshly or not.

The spine chip is at a corner, and impacts the next wrap - becomes a "split"?

Anyone have an opinion on this?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Without knowing the book we can not give you an answer.

If you can say yes to the following question you should probably get the book graded.

Would the graded book be worth more or less than $100?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man - Impossible to give you a grade without pictures, but if it is a SA key book, I would probably have it slabbed. I also believe it would only get a checkmark if it has defects that aren’t obvious which make the book appear better than it really is.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@esaravo thank you

I'm just wondering if a 2nd wrap deep spine chip that is at the top (mirroring a split) and stains the size I mentioned are harshly graded by CBCS in anyone's experience.

Based on that I think I can decide.

Thanks!
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man - Stains are definitely treated harshly by graders. Based on my experiences with CBCS, they can easily cause an otherwise VFN/NM looking book to drop down into the FN/VFN range (for example a book you think would be an 8.5/9.0 is actually a 6.5/7.0). Here's an example from my collection:

Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Not that I am good at grading or anything, but i would think if it is a key vs random book would make a difference....

Sucks, huh? Not that either company would admit it, which is wise.
I sure do see many seemingly gift grades at CGC, and always on a key.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Double post
Post 13 IP   flag post
@esaravo thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. How does CBCS compare to CGC in the stain/chip realm? Comparable?

I think I'd prefer a tough grade on those features, but curious what you've seen.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

Sucks, huh? Not that either company would admit it, which is wise.
I sure do see many seemingly gift grades at CGC, and always on a key.

@Siggy

I know where my limitations lie. Now if I had any redeeming qualities, I'd be set. =)

By the way. @comic_book_man I was just fishing to see what the book was. (I was being nosey)
Unfortunately, I am not I am not as smooth and effective as i had hoped.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@comic_book_man - Stains are definitely treated harshly by graders. Based on my experiences with CBCS, they can easily cause an otherwise VFN/NM looking book to drop down into the FN/VFN range (for example a book you think would be an 8.5/9.0 is actually a 6.5/7.0). Here's an example from my collection:

What's the CBCS #?

Was it a similar staining scenario? 3-4 1/4" on front/back?
Post 16 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man - 17-00C3026-002 (Note: The stain is virtually invisible and unfortunately may have been caused by the Man himself.)

Thor #126
Marvel 1966
Variant:
Pedigree:

Authentic
Off-White/White

Signees:
Witnessed Sig: STAN LEE on 11/13/2016.

Notes:
spine wear & stress breaks color, creasing right edge front cover breaks color
1.25" stain bottom spine back cover & last page
2 small tears left edge back cover
Post 17 IP   flag post
@esaravo wow yeah, seems pretty close. Safe to assume a 6.5.
Post 18 IP   flag post
598019 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?