Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeSignatures

Steve ditko signed comic10052

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

so I picked this up. I've been waiting for a Steve ditko signed comic book for a very very long time. I absolutely will be sending it to Cbcs for verification. The seller guarantees its authentic 100%. Is Cbcs going to be at LA comic con, anybody know? I also picked up a few other comics signed
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Holy crap!!!!! WOW!! A true grail by anyones standards. Congrats!!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector danberry75 private msg quote post Address this user
According to their list of events, cbcs will be at LACC.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC thanks, I'm super stoked over this one
Post 4 IP   flag post

signed by Stan lee and Alex schomburg. Probably one of the best artists signature
Post 5 IP   flag post

signed by Stan, wein, Wolfman, cockrum and Claremont
Post 6 IP   flag post

signed by Kirby
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 you absolutely should be! It goes without saying that Ditko is a titan in the comic world! Shoulder to shoulder with Kirby and Lee in my opinion. I'd give my right arm for a Ditko signed book.

You should get that Invaders VSP'd too!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@danberry75 thanks for the info, last time I checked cgc or Cbcs a was no on the list. Same with Long Beach but cgc ended up there
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Batman66 you absolutely should be! It goes without saying that Ditko is a titan in the comic world! Shoulder to shoulder with Kirby and Lee in my opinion. I'd give my right arm for a Ditko signed book.

You should get that Invaders VSP'd too!
im sending all these books, my ff1 is signed by Stan lee in 17, sending that one in as well
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I will be interested in what they tell you about that Kirby signature
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I see signatures all the time of artists/writers who do the convention circuit year after year after year for the past 15 years. I just pass on by because I find their autographs.... be it red or yellow labels almost insignificant now.

But when I see Ditko, Kirby, Schomburg, Wein, Cockrum, an Excelsior Lee, boy oh boy do I look in amazement.

Fantastic books there! This is what it's all about!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Ambush_Bug private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! That's incredible! I wonder what year it was signed. maybe a really early New York convention?

I tried to get a comic signed by Ditko once. I had an Amazing Spidey signed by Stan Lee. I knew Ditko was a bit of a recluse, but I thought I'd try to find out more. I found a "Steve Ditko Fan site" online.
Somewhere on there, it had an address.. and it said
"If you would like a signed photgraph, please send it to this address with return postage."
There was also a phone number.
I called the number and someone picked up. He sounded old. I asked if this was the "Steve Ditko fan club"
He said "Yup!" I asked if Mr Ditko would sign a comic book, instead of a photograph, if I sent it with return postage. He answered,
"Nope!"
I said.. "Oh.. ok. No problem.. uhm.. is... is THIS Steve Ditko?"
He said "Yup"
I laughed and was totally shocked. I said "Oh.. wow, jeez, I-I wasn't expecting to be talking to you!"
He said "That's what the telephone's for!" and we both laughed.
I had a chance to tell him how I was an artist and what an impression he made on me, and how Spider-Man was always my favourite character. It was a very quick conversation, but pleasant. I never did get his signature, but I do have his voice in my head! Ha
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Ambush_Bug that's too cool
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@Ambush_Bug great story 👍
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@Ambush_Bug WOW! Super cool!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@Ambush_Bug Great story man! Wow you got to actually talk to Steve Ditko...and he was NICE?!?! That is the only story I've heard of the not-curmudgeonly Ditko variety. Which of course is awesome because I feel like the guy has a negative rap. Also glad I didnt send him my Kirby/Lee signed AF15 as I thought, like you did..."maybe he would sign it"??? LOL
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Someone gave me the contact info to Steve Ditko. I pondered it a million times and decided I'd leave him alone. I'd have loved to have chatted with him, but I've heard some great stories by people who did.

Since I'm a cheapskate, this will probably be the only page of art by him that I'll ever own.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
batman66,

[Standard disclaimer: I'm not an expert, just a collector.]

In my STRONG OPINION, you need to file eBay return claims on those fakes as soon as possible and get your money back.

The Fantastic Four 73 looks to be a tonfulle-84 fake. There's a whole thread about his forgeries, and he even makes a few appearances to taunt that he'll never get caught:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/426693-tonfulle-84-stan-lee-forgeries-on-ebay/

The X-Men 100 was sold by a guy whose eBay username keeps changing, but at the moment he goes by "mrcollector77". He's out of Long Beach, California, and just churns out a never-ending supply of signed comic books. Here's his eBay sales from the past few months:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91436&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mrcollector77&_sop=12&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1&_ipg=200&rt=nc

A real Ditko signed comic would be extremely rare and cost a fortune. I'm guessing you bought it from mrcollector77? Because he seems to have a whole bunch of Ditkos available for sale.

The Invaders Annual 1 is a puzzling one. It looks kinda legit. However, it was sold by kellyssuperheroes - who people believe is Danny Dupcak, who in the past pled guilty to selling forged sports autographs.

Before anyone pulls the trigger on unwitnessed signed comics on eBay, I recommend you do two things:

1. Google the eBay dealer's username. That would've warned you about tonfulle and kellyssuperheroes.

2. eBay search their past sales. That would've warned you about mrcollector and his endless supply of shady-looking signed comics. Plus all his reviews are marked "PRIVATE" trying to look less suspicious.

I'm not an expert, just a collector. If you want to spend even more money to send them to CBCS to get verified, do it quickly so you can still file for a return after they fail verification.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Someone gave me the contact info to Steve Ditko. I pondered it a million times and decided I'd leave him alone. I'd have loved to have chatted with him, but I've heard some great stories by people who did.

Since I'm a cheapskate, this will probably be the only page of art by him that I'll ever own.

Wow!! Brilliant!!!!
Post 20 IP   flag post
600633 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?