Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Character Deaths - what issue is most valuable for you?10004

Collector Red_Blade private msg quote post Address this user
When collecting comic books of character deaths (death of Superman, death of Wolverine, etc) what issue is the most valuable for you? The first or the last? For me it's the last because that's the issue that they die in.

Anyway this is subjective and I started this topic just to get people's opinions for some fun discussion.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
none

Death just mean a down time before the reboot
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The Death of Captain Marvel - incredible story
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Death in comic books has become a cheap publicity stunt.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 121 & 122

Nuff said.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't mind having the first issue where Uncle Ben dies. Or Martha and Thomas Wayne.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
I wouldn't mind having the first issue where Uncle Ben dies. Or Martha and Thomas Wayne.


Those are good ones.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t understand the question...are you talking about characters with multiple deaths and which death you prefer....?

Or are you talking first appearance vs. last appearance.

Or are you just talking what is your favorite “character death” issue?

I think my favorite was Batman 425-429.
It was a real shocker at the time it came out...re-shaped Batman for years later. Far as I know there hasn’t been quite a death where the fans voted either...it was about that time I started really collecting comics so there’s some nostalgia there for me to.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 121-122
Daredevil 181
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
The ones where an interesting character actually dies, and never returns in any way.
In slab talk; a Death without quotation marks. Otherwise it isn't a Death issue so much as it is an Hiatus issue.
Post 10 IP   flag post
CBCS President sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The Death of Captain Marvel - incredible story


Best "Death" in comics ever!!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The Death of Captain Marvel - incredible story


I'm a big fan of the original Captain Marvel (as I've stated in other threads) and I really hated it when he died and I really hate that Marvel is trying to erase his existence but it was the best most poignant death I've ever read in comics. That makes it my favorite and least favorite at the same time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The Death of Captain Marvel - incredible story


Best "Death" in comics ever!!!!


I will take your Death of Captain Marvel and raise you a Crisis # 7.

Supergirl took one for the team went out like a champ facing off against the Anti-monitor solo.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The Death of Captain Marvel - incredible story


I'm a big fan of the original Captain Marvel (as I've stated in other threads) and I really hated it when he died and I really hate that Marvel is trying to erase his existence but it was the best most poignant death I've ever read in comics. That makes it my favorite and least favorite at the same time.


I was a big fan of the Starlin era Captain Marvel in comics and Gwen Stacy. Both deaths are my least favorite.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Is there no love for Ferro Lad, or the loss of one of Triplicate Girl’s bodies, which forced her to become Duo Damsel?


Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The Death of Captain Marvel - incredible story


Best "Death" in comics ever!!!!


I will take your Death of Captain Marvel and raise you a Crisis # 7.

Supergirl took one for the team went out like a champ facing off against the Anti-monitor solo.


Along those same lines, Barry Allen. He was the only main character that I can remember that died and stayed dead for like 30 years.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The Death of Captain Marvel - incredible story


Best "Death" in comics ever!!!!


Only one that’s stood the test of comic book time....aside from uncle Ben.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
One of my favorite all time comic stories is Justice League of America 100-102.....its a cross over event with the JSA and the seven soldiers of victory and they are trying to solve which of them gave their life to save everyone.....
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
Even Krypton couldn't stay completely dead forever. But I think the original Alien Green Lantern dude stayed dead.

The most haunting of death stories for me was X-men Days of Future Past which I read in like 7th grade. It stuck with me for some time.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Red_Blade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I don’t understand the question...are you talking about characters with multiple deaths and which death you prefer....?

Or are you talking first appearance vs. last appearance.

Or are you just talking what is your favorite “character death” issue?

I think my favorite was Batman 425-429.
It was a real shocker at the time it came out...re-shaped Batman for years later. Far as I know there hasn’t been quite a death where the fans voted either...it was about that time I started really collecting comics so there’s some nostalgia there for me to.


Ok what I mean is -- and since you mentioned Batman a Death in the Family, let's use that as an example -- from issues 426 to 429, which one is the most valuable for you if you had to pick one? Is it 426 where it began, or the exact issue where Robin dies?
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Blade


Ok what I mean is -- and since you mentioned Batman a Death in the Family, let's use that as an example -- from issues 426 to 429, which one is the most valuable for you if you had to pick one? Is it 426 where it began, or the exact issue where Robin dies?


In this case, for me, it's the issue where the death occurs.
Death of Captain Marvel and the issue of ASM where Aunt May died (she came back but that's an emotional issue nevertheless) are two of my "favorites" for death issues.

It's weird saying I have a favorite death lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
260592 21 21
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute