Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

very disappointed with a recent grade..931

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Plus, you've used that avatar once already.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
The problem with us "old timers" is that we have more to tell than later day arrivals are prepared to listen to. Such is the cross we bear.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Curses, foiled again.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
<slaps head>
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Stop trolling Beerbohm, new poster who I have no idea who you are.

I perceive honest queries from newbies got posted, gear up in to teaching mode I say. There was only ONE Troll come at me in all of CBCS land which I was informed by Jesse_O that SS character got hisself banned all on his lonesome.

Me, Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

WhaT I fail to (yet) understand is the slabbing up of comic books under say $30. Or comic books under VG four point oh. To me this remains pointless.

Comics under 4.0 I place in term "Reader Copy" cuz that is its remaining function of its life.

Many comics in 4.0 can still be worth a lot of money, so the restoration check is worth the price of a slabbing.

ANY one can become a "resto" enhancement expert.
Simply go buy a black lite bulb, banker's lamp with green umbrella and turn out the lights. Most ALL of anything not printed on the paper jumps out at you. Try it, you'll like it!

So you're saying this is all CBCS does when they check a book?

No, I am not. I know what MIT chemist comic book collector Bill Sarill taught many of us beginning circa 1969 inside the pages of RBCC back when we were all more concerned what was between underneath the covers than parts of the collecting world "seems" to be these days of daze.

I would let CBCS, or CGC, or PGX, state for themselves what they do to "detect" restoration.

There are also ever evolving marketing driven definitions of what constitutes "restoration" which after literally 50 years in this wonderful world of comics collecting some of us "old school" guys laugh at how things supposedly improve, the more they remain the same.

I sure would not wish for my million dollar "investment" to slowly disintegrate. Ever see "white paper" Dime Novels?

Food for thought.

I'm glad we agree that the CBCS resto check is a valuable tool that is more complicated than you indicated.

Actually, no, Restoration enhancement checking is not more complicated than I indicate. Been doing checks for comic book "enhancements" for more than four decades now. Black Lite bulb pulls up 99% of any thing not actually printed on it.

Those who feel need to pay $20 a book (or more?) to ascertain glue, paint, color touch, tape, etc etc etc go right ahead. If that is the main reason one gets slabs, one wastes one's bucks in the main.

Same with certifying a "grade' on to some funny book. Those who think there is some sort of rocket science attached to the concept, then go ahead.

Back on original thread track, if a guy sends in a Firestorm #1 the concept of earning customer "good will" comes in to play front and center if Cert Corporation contacts customer informing of MIA pages.

That is bone head simple and costs slab guys nothing. Everything to gain from building simple good will & trust.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics I have to agree, if CBCS finds pages missing from an otherwise great looking book and the owner did not mention it on the invoice they should contact the owner before encapsulation. Also thanks for the tip on the black light, gives me another use for my deer hunting blood light.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Blew me away a few years back when scrolling a Comic Connect auction listing seeing a Action 328 CGC 'certified' point five oh 0.5 with an opening bid of fifty cents and no takers. The book looked VFNM but with pages missing. I grew a bit of umbrage as to why CGC would steal some one's money like that.

At that stage when being attacked over inside CGC "chat" rooms pointing out stuff like this (and lots more) I simply realized - a light bulb went off as it were - CGC was simply about taking people's money no matter what.

CBCS needs to rise above such simple BS to fix and help a novice collector teaching them along the way not to waste bucks when one does not have to.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
The problem with us "old timers" is that we have more to tell than later day arrivals are prepared to listen to. Such is the cross we bear.

A song comes to mind re us old school timers who simply seek to teach passing on what was gleaned in most cases graduating from the school of hard knocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLETs9YBbYA
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector ComicDoll private msg quote post Address this user
As a newer comic book grading company, it might behoove CGCS to contact a collector if a book is going to be graded low, as a matter of fact, the employee that commented to the original poster that the book looked good and should grade well should not have said anything.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I too believe that offering the customer the information regarding missing pages etc. prior to slabbing would be a great idea and a useful PR tool.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
I too believe that offering the customer the information regarding missing pages etc. prior to slabbing would be a great idea and a useful PR tool.
But in hindsight, that would probably open an ever widening door as to just how far ranging one should go with the aspects to be reported.
Post 36 IP   flag post
The transparency of Light shone on a concept some times brings it around to enter the "given" in pre-slab customer service which would earn all sorts of accolades for those who choose to adopt such practices.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Cypher private msg quote post Address this user
I also think a phone call or at least an email to give a heads up on missing pages or anything not noted on a submission form, would give this company a jump in regards to customer service over cgc. It's that extra mile that will keep people coming back to submit books time and time again.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector NYOneandOnly private msg quote post Address this user
Being as busy as they are calling everyone that has an issue they didn't state could take them forever. You can select a minimum grade you want on the book this would be the best way to protect yourself.
Post 39 IP   flag post
597962 39 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?