Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkComics Copper AgeSignatures

New Maxx Appreciation Thread925

Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Hello and allow me to introduce myself, if I have not already.

I started collecting Maxx when it first hit the shelves, I was never aware of the special Wizard 1/2 incentives that were first brought out. In fact I was barely aware of the mail away for the Purple 1/2.

I had been lugging around 3 longboxes for 20 years, full of Xmen, Spiderman and my favorites from Image, DarkHorse and NEC.

It wasn't till 2013 where I had finally decided to go through my stuff to see what I had. I hadn't expected to be carrying gold around all these years, but was surprised that some things have done pretty ok for being 20 years old.

I looked at my incomplete Maxx collection and decided one of the things I would like to do is complete that collection. How little did I know stepping in.

I had never heard of the ashcans, or how the later issues had a very low print run due to Sam being left alone to complete the title. I was only about 10 or 11 issues in.

I hopped on eBay and started picking things up here and there. It was by pure chance I found a dual sketched SS Edlund Tick SE that I had to have, where I picked up my very first slabbed comic.

I didn't know what a comic grading company was, all I thought was what a novel idea to encase a treasured comic in such a way that it wouldn't be damaged over time. I joined up with the CGC forums and the rest is history.

During my journey and following the awesome wealth of knowledge found online, I started my quest for all the issues I was missing, and started a new quest to have a complete Maxx run, signed and verified and graded.

Along the way, I found my grails. The wizard 1/2 Maxx test prints.

I was very fortunate to find someone who had not one but a few of the Blue test prints, and got my first grail in 9.4. Perhaps I will have the chance one day to upgrade to a 9.8, but at least I have one.

The one I cannot find is a red test print. All my research has pointed me to the fact there definitely is 3 of them out in the wild somewhere. I have had the privilege to talk to some former owners. Alas the trail has run cold.

Now hopefully with a new and exciting grading company starting up, I can find even more collectors to talk to and hopefully pick up the trail again.

So if you come across this on your travels, please keep me in mind, and if you have heard whispers of this rare treasure, if anything I would just love to hear the stories.

I wish for the day I can hold one in my hand, and with luck, one day I shall.

Thanks for your time
Post 1 IP   flag post
Still looking for the 1/2 Red Wizard test print, but think I have a chance at it.

Currently have all 35 issues of Maxx awaiting signing at this years Boston Comic Con, also the MCP Cyber run. Should finally complete my Maxx collection, minus the ashcans. Once more Black # 1 and #3 ashcans show up, that will be complete as well.

Feels good. Then I have to start saving up to get some Maxx and misc Sam Kieth OA. Which goes for a pretty penny. I think the cheapest page I have found so far goes for around $2k - $8k. His other paintings much go for more than that.

Be exciting to have a complete signed and graded run of the Maxx
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TheMaxx private msg quote post Address this user
I would love to have any of those rare foil books. Maxx has been my favorite since the 1st issue. The book that changed the way I looked at comics.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I do have this Sam Kieth gem.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oh man that's beautiful
Post 5 IP   flag post
Very nice.

One book that has also been elusive for me is a Darker Image triple sig, regular edition. I've got the gold and platinum, but haven't found a regular for sale.

Well, at least I will be getting Kieth's sig this round, maybe next year SDCC someone will take my copy to be signed by Lee and Liefeld. I am sure they will make appearances there again. Always seem to.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Gotta keep this thread open for a couple of months while I wait
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks web admins for making this place frustrating (thumbs u
Post 8 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI

Anything to make you happy!!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Anything to make you happy!!!!

You know I love the personal touch
Post 10 IP   flag post
Got my collection signed, just waiting for the label. Picked these up as well..

Post 11 IP   flag post

I am almost complete
Post 12 IP   flag post
That's the first red one I've actually seen. Very cool.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks, there are only two known to exist. I've met the guy who owns the other. Good times
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I am almost complete

Where on earth did you find the red variant. I thought there were like 10 of those ever printed, and they were recalled or something like that.
Post 15 IP   flag post
There are 10 blue and 10 red test prints.

There are 6 known copies of blue and 2 of red, all of which have been graded by CGC

There are now 2 SS blues.

There was one person, a long time ago, who sent away to get those test prints from Image, he received the 6 blue and 2 reds.

The 2 reds have changed hands many many times. I know who holds the other, he also has a blue. As for the other blues, I think the OO still has a couple, he definitely has the 9.8 SS
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
There are 10 blue and 10 red test prints.

There are 6 known copies of blue and 2 of red, all of which have been graded by CGC

There are now 2 SS blues.

There was one person, a long time ago, who sent away to get those test prints from Image, he received the 6 blue and 2 reds.

The 2 reds have changed hands many many times. I know who holds the other, he also has a blue. As for the other blues, I think the OO still has a couple, he definitely has the 9.8 SS

Now see, that's just a whole other level of collecting right there. I am a huge Maxx fan and I thought I was cool b/c I had the regular 1/2 and was vying to get the gold edition. Well, done with that.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I saw one blue on eBay a while back, and that's the only one I've seen for sale.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The hilarious thing about getting those is that literally, no one outside the Maxx community will ever hear about it, let alone care.

One of the single, most rare comics printed, but not many will ever care. Shame really.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Iceman399 private msg quote post Address this user
Man that Red 1/2 sure is mighty cool
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
100% correct that nobody cares. It is too bad that they don't. What does that say about the comic collecting community?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Iceman399 :P The wait is killing me

@Towmater Ah, I don't expect the comic community to ooh and ahh over every comic, the majority of the community does only care about Gold/Silver era comics though. I suppose that's just the generation at the moment. It will take a number of years before modern books are more appreciated, if they ever are.

Books that I like, from the beginning of Image, to Darkhorse, won't ever be all that collectable for the simple fact of numbers. There was just a over publication in that era of collecting.

All I can do is hope everyone else threw their issues out lol
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a modern fan.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@DarthLego So? Who are you?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Got my collection signed, just waiting for the label. Picked these up as well..

Loving these

My 1st return to comics was in 1989, so there were some things I missed. I remember my introduction to SK's work in Hulk #368 (I was late to Gaiman's Sandman series) right after being introduced to Dale Keown's work in #367 and thinking, "Wow! Where did they find these guys?"
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Iceman399 :P The wait is killing me

@Towmater Ah, I don't expect the comic community to ooh and ahh over every comic, the majority of the community does only care about Gold/Silver era comics though. I suppose that's just the generation at the moment. It will take a number of years before modern books are more appreciated, if they ever are.

Books that I like, from the beginning of Image, to Darkhorse, won't ever be all that collectable for the simple fact of numbers. There was just a over publication in that era of collecting.

All I can do is hope everyone else threw their issues out lol

I like some of the Image Books. I liked what Valentino did with ShadowHawk. Kieth's idea for the Maxx and where it all took place was very original.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@DarthLego So? Who are you?

Wow dude, you just got done saying how everyone only cares about golden and silver age and there's no love for moderns. Take it down a notch, there's no need for confrontation here.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I don't like you
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Towmater Shadowhawk is a completely underrated book in my opinion. Not just because of the cool covers. It was a really well drawn and written.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS I was a bit late in getting into Kieth, first noticed him in his Maxx series, and to be honest, I didn't like the art. It was way out there, compared to the other artists I was into at the time, like Jim Lee, Andy and Adam Kubert.

As I matured and really got into the Maxx storyline is when I really started to appreciate the nuances and flow he presented. Then I was hooked after picking up Aliens Earth War. I stumbled on that in the late 90's as I was getting out of collecting, so they were difficult to get my hands on, along with all the other late 80's early 90's Dark Horse.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600776 109 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?