Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How do I safely prepare my shipment?915

Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all! Recently I had 2 comics signed @ Motor City Comic Con. Seeing as how CBCS were there to take care of all of the shipping of items, all I had to do was cover the costs on site.

My question to all of you is this - how do I package a new order to send in? I'm new to all of this & am excited to start grading more of my collection, but don't have the slightest idea how to pack up my comics! Any and all help anyone can give to this "newbie" will be GREATLY appreciated.

I did speak with Mr. Ricketts and he gave me some guidelines -

1)Ship in a box
2)Eliminate as much movement in the box as possible
3)Do not put pressure on the spine edge of a comic
4)Bundle books in "bricks" and wrap them in bubble wrap

He also said they'll eventually do a video on this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Basically stack the books, alternating the spine orientation (bagged and boarded of course), fit them between two pieces of cardboard, tape the bundle together (they recommend no more than 10 books per bundle). Place it in a box using bubble wrap to prevent movement before taping it up to ship off
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, the CGC video tutorial is an excellent primer:

But, you know, send your books to the grading company of your preference.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Double box them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm only sending 1-3 books I'll reuse a Gemini mailer (those boxes specifically made for mailing comics) from one of my eBay purchases. If I'm feeling froggy about it I'll put that whole box inside a bubble mailer. For larger orders, that CGC video is a pretty sound way to go.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector luckroy private msg quote post Address this user
+1 on the gemini mailers. Those fit into a legal flat rate envelope nicely as well, so you get some insurance included.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Those Gemini's are good. Avoid those flat-rate envelopes though.

I also wrap mine, in addition to bags and boards to protect from the elements. For the two pieces of cardboard that you place the books between, make sure they are larger than the dimension of your books to protect the edges and the corners from bumps and dings (if you're not using a Gemini mailer)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
If you use a legal flat rate envelope, take the Gemini and put a layer of bubble wrap around the box. Just for extra protection.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@D84 Got my box of Nightwings yesterday, top notch packaging.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector luckroy private msg quote post Address this user
I bubble wrap the book bundle inside the mailer. I'd have no problems about mailing it just like that, but the envelope is actually cheaper.

Probably swimming upstream on this one, but I think some people go overboard on taping and wrapping. I've had a couple ebay buys where I was honestly concerned that I would do more damage just by unwrapping the bundle than what would have been possible in shipping. I don't want to do a comicectomy on my packages.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Love Gemini mailers!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@D84 Got my box of Nightwings yesterday, top notch packaging.

Thanks. I try to be careful, but I just found out the post office destroyed 3 books I sent to a guy.

No matter how careful you are, the post office can still get you.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Man, you guys are AMAZING! Seriously, thank you all for your help. I've also watched a few of the vids on YouTube & those gave me a few good ideas too. I'll have to reconsider packing with "genuine Saskatchewan seal-skin bindings" though. Lol!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckroy
I bubble wrap the book bundle inside the mailer. I'd have no problems about mailing it just like that, but the envelope is actually cheaper.

Probably swimming upstream on this one, but I think some people go overboard on taping and wrapping. I've had a couple ebay buys where I was honestly concerned that I would do more damage just by unwrapping the bundle than what would have been possible in shipping. I don't want to do a comicectomy on my packages.

LOL, I had one of those come today! The box was like 20x12x5 packed to survive a Godzilla attack. I ordered TWO raw books I was scared I'd cause damage just trying to get through everything.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiebigfoot
I'll have to reconsider packing with "genuine Saskatchewan seal-skin bindings" though. Lol!!

I'm almost afraid to ask.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiebigfoot
I'll have to reconsider packing with "genuine Saskatchewan seal-skin bindings" though. Lol!!

I'm almost afraid to ask.

Ha! I got this from a show I used to watch when I was a kid. It's called "Bizarre", a Canadian sketch show that ran in the early to mid '80s. They were an "adult" version of SNL; so off the wall!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
With John Byner and Super Dave Osborne? I loved that show!
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
LOL, I had one of those come today! The box was like 20x12x5 packed to survive a Godzilla attack. I ordered TWO raw books I was scared I'd cause damage just trying to get through everything.

LOL Speaking of damage, I encourage everyone to reconsider the type of tape you use on these packages. Packing tape, while great is super adhesive when it comes to polybags ... just sayin'....
Post 18 IP   flag post
Yep, please use blue or green painters tape on bags.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
With John Byner and Super Dave Osborne? I loved that show!

Yeah! I always knew when it was about to come on because my dad would always make a big bowl of popcorn beforehand. Good times...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Ugh...
I just got a book today. I open the mailer and I find this

-__-
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
When I pack books, I do it in a way that sharp blades or scissors are never needed except to open the outer box. For big money books I probably go overboard, but all my feedbacks say I pack well.

Two of my favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicartfan
Single best packing job I've ever seen !....Super fast shipping and books would have survived intact being dropped out of a Blackhawk over the Iraq landscape.

Buy with confidence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicalgems
Quote:
Originally Posted by edowens71
Just bought a stack of SA Fantastic Four books from Scott. Accurate grading, great prices, and an insanely awesome packing job! Kudos (thumbs u

Also recently bought books from Scott. I have to +1,000 the packaging job. Not only was everything secure but I didn't have to wield a samurai word (or box knife, or scissors) to get it open. It was a pleasant surprise for sure. I've recommended he do a how to video or post on that particular packaging method. It was pretty damn bad ass!

Also the books came in exactly the shape I expected. Honest seller. Top of the mark!
Post 22 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Do you use blue tape with little "pull here" instructions? If so I may have bought something from you.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Here's a link to how I do it. Keep in mind I said I may go overboard LOL but if a New Mutants 98 was headed your way, you wouldn't mind.

Also, I don't always sell books. If I sold books like Dale Roberts, Flying Donut, etc. there's no way I could maintain this.

Forget the link. I'll just post it below
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR SigS
From my FEEDBACK thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicalgems
Quote:
Originally Posted by edowens71
Just bought a stack of SA Fantastic Four books from Scott. Accurate grading, great prices, and an insanely awesome packing job! Kudos (thumbs u

Also recently bought books from Scott. I have to +1,000 the packaging job. Not only was everything secure but I didn't have to wield a samurai word (or box knife, or scissors) to get it open. It was a pleasant surprise for sure. I've recommended he do a how to video or post on that particular packaging method. It was pretty damn bad ass!

Also the books came in exactly the shape I expected. Honest seller. Top of the mark!

At comicalgems' suggestion, I'm going to post the methods I use when I ship several high value or high grade books.

This is a LOT of work, and I wouldn't expect everyone to adopt a form of this method as their own, but if you buy books from me, know they'll be safe. For CGC submissions- I wouldn't do it any other way.

When I ship 1-3 books, I use priority envelopes, but the 2-3 sheets of cardboard I use is VERY sturdy. The following photo is of 1 sheet to show just how strong they are. The corrugated grain goes with the length of the sheet, not the width. Imagine your book(s) between 3!

Front view of 1 sheet that I use.

I'm not going to illustrate how to tape a couple books to a sheet of cardboard. That's fairly easy to figure out. However, if you don't have access to strong cardboard and plan to use a weaker style (such as USPS cut up boxes) it's IMPORTANT that you use at least 4 sheets. You should also crisscross the corrugated grain for added strength. The cardboard should be sized so at least 4 sheets + the books will fit, and the books should be taped to one of the inner sheets so they don't shift in transit.

For shipments that require added strength and security, such as the following example of 8 books, I'm using a Medium Flat Rate Box. I cut the same cardboard as above to fit the inner dimensions of the box.

These 8 will be surrounded by an outer shell of 4 full sheets (2 on each side).

For the inner sheets, I use enough so they're just a little thicker or taller than the books when stacked. I score the sheets to dimensions larger than the bagged/boarded comics, then "pop" out the centers. These centers are used for envelope shipments.

Using one of the hollowed sheets, I trace a pattern on one of the whole sheets. This will be a guide for when I tape the books to this sheet. The stack of hollowed out sheets should fit right over the books if placed correctly.

Stacking the books in the usual manner of (in this case) 4 books facing inward to the other 4 books facing inward, I surround the 2 outer sides with 2 comic bags filled with several cheap backing boards.
I like to use 3M vinyl tape when making a brick. It has some stretch to it allowing for a more secure fit, being careful not to stretch it TOO tightly as this can damage the edges (even with the outer backing board support). I always make pull tabs at the ends of the tape because I know everyone hates picking at the tape in order to remove it (no more than me). And as comicalgems stated, this is WAY better than putting any cutting device near the books.
Once the brick is made, I place it within the traced pattern.

And then of course I tape it to the 2 outer sheets.

Once I'm satisfied that the brick is securely positioned and fastened to the sheets, I place the hollowed out sheets over the stack. Note that I "X" the pull tabs and number the ends. I place a message with the shipments instructing to pull tabs "1" and then Tabs "2".

With one of the "popped" out centers I carefully yet firmly press down on the stack so I can tape the hollows to the whole sheets at the four corners.

Now I place that last 2 outer sheets on the open side and tape them to the whole stack. I sometimes place a little bubble wrap here if there is a slight gap between the hollow and the outer sheets.

When finished, I have a solid USPS proof brick that can be used as a football and still arrive safely.

With a little more bubble wrap, this fits perfectly inside the MFR box. If the edges of the box are struck by a baseball bat, the brick edges will stop the impact from reaching the books.

Post 25 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS You have won the shipping wars. The seller I was thinking of has nothing on you.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@DarthLego

Thanks! If I sell again, rest assured any uber high grade or expensive book(s) will get this type of treatment.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Why does god hate me?

Post 28 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite That's a lot of tape.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Why does god hate me?

Post 30 IP   flag post
600853 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?