Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Another Pressing Question912

Collector dburghard private msg quote post Address this user
OK, I have seven more comics I would like to send in for grading. They are all in pretty good shape, but three, maybe four could be helped a little by pressing.

I have a few questions... One of them, Web of Spider-man 118, is actually in really good shape even without pressing, but if I did want to get it pressed, it has a card inside it that you can feel through the front cover. Wouldn't pressing just imprint that card onto the front cover? How are things like that handled?

My other question is, if I'm going to get them graded after pressing, I understand that CFP comics is close to CBCS and can deliver them after pressing. How do I go about coordinating this? I would assume I have to submit them to CBCS first and then contact CFP and send the the comics to them directly. I'm guessing I would send the invoice from CBCS along with them so that when CFP is finished they can deliver everything to CBCS?

OK, now, I'm overthinking it... One more question... If I have seven comics I want to grade and send four directly to CBCS and three to CFP, how do they get together at CBCS? They will be received at different times. I guess it doesn't really matter, but do I need to inform CBCS that some will be coming a little later? (I don't know how long it takes to get pressing done).
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow you did over think that,lol
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@dburghard so let me address the card in your comic and the fear of it showing up even more through the cover if pressed. You are correct that would be an issue.
With that being said there is a work around if you have a experienced presser. I had a comic from the 60's, a gold key comic that had an attached poster inside that was a little smaller in size than the comic cover. So I would have run into the same problem that you are concerned with.
What I did was slide comic book backing boards between cover and first page where poster was to take up the gap. Essentially making a Fram around the poster making one flat surface around the poster. Then carefully lowered press to insure nome of the framing slipped out from cover or shifted as press was lowered. The result was the bend in cover was gone and you would never know it existed.
Another thing that is simpler is to send it in, and the fact that it was a factor bend so to speak they may not take anything off for grading.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yea, Yea... I do that a lot. I guess part of it is my job. I design circuit boards and program them for a living and I have a tendency to run through every scenario I can think of to try and avoid unforeseen errors, so I easily over-think things.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Time for another job, lol. You are frying your brain.
Post 5 IP   flag post
That crease due to the card is very minimal. You can only faintly see it when held up at an angle to the light, but it is there. The main card is in the middle of the comic, but there is a flap that wraps around and is between the cover and first page.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm too worn out to want to change jobs now, if I can help it! I've been at the same job since November 1981! Man that makes me sound old! I started really young
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@dburghard so let me address the card in your comic and the fear of it showing up even more through the cover if pressed. You are correct that would be an issue.
With that being said there is a work around if you have a experienced presser. I had a comic from the 60's, a gold key comic that had an attached poster inside that was a little smaller in size than the comic cover. So I would have run into the same problem that you are concerned with.
What I did was slide comic book backing boards between cover and first page where poster was to take up the gap. Essentially making a Fram around the poster making one flat surface around the poster. Then carefully lowered press to insure nome of the framing slipped out from cover or shifted as press was lowered. The result was the bend in cover was gone and you would never know it existed.
Another thing that is simpler is to send it in, and the fact that it was a factor bend so to speak they may not take anything off for grading.
You may wish to consider the fact that there are two very good -- no, excellent -- pressers in this business other than the one you mentioned. Josh Avery and Tony Starks are everything you need in pressing and service, just ask around the boards and you will have options for you to chose from.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@RRO I agree they should be able to handle that with no problem. It's an easy press for one who has been pressing. I used joe grisola before and he was excellent as well.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If you use CFP, you will send it to them and they will deliver it to CBCS. You can fill out your invoice on the CBCS wesite for the books, print the invoice and include it with the books. CBCS doesn't charge you when making the invoice, just when the books are graded, so no problem there. For books you are sending straight to CBCS you should make them on a separate invoice to make things easy.
Post 10 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburghard
OK, I have seven more comics I would like to send in for grading. They are all in pretty good shape, but three, maybe four could be helped a little by pressing.

I have a few questions... One of them, Web of Spider-man 118, is actually in really good shape even without pressing, but if I did want to get it pressed, it has a card inside it that you can feel through the front cover. Wouldn't pressing just imprint that card onto the front cover? How are things like that handled?

My other question is, if I'm going to get them graded after pressing, I understand that CFP comics is close to CBCS and can deliver them after pressing. How do I go about coordinating this? I would assume I have to submit them to CBCS first and then contact CFP and send the the comics to them directly. I'm guessing I would send the invoice from CBCS along with them so that when CFP is finished they can deliver everything to CBCS?

OK, now, I'm overthinking it... One more question... If I have seven comics I want to grade and send four directly to CBCS and three to CFP, how do they get together at CBCS? They will be received at different times. I guess it doesn't really matter, but do I need to inform CBCS that some will be coming a little later? (I don't know how long it takes to get pressing done).

I have worked on hundred's of books with inserts, it is not an issue to press the book flat and remove the impression from the advertisements. Regarding the actual order, send in all the books and paperwork to me. Indicate the ones you want pressed, and when done I will hand deliver all the books to CBCS at no additional cost to you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I can a test CFP did an amazing job on my books and did hand deliver to CBCS. Takes away from possible shipping damage.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
CFP is high quality. Strongly recommended.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
I've only ever had one book done, but I wouldn't think about going anywhere but CFP Comics should I need anything else pressed.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
Joe at CFP did good work for me on my ASM 238 with the Tattooz insert. The book came back graded 9.6 with no mention of side effects from pressing (creases, etc.) in the notes.

Just make sure your books are worth the cost. A perfectly flat book with color-breaking creases or tears may not be worth it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I have used CFP to press my books over the last few years and I have been very pleased. Some I've just had returned to me without grading and I must say the results have been impressive.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
As far as graded books go, most that I've CPR'ed with CFP have on average come back at 0.5 grade higher. One jumped from 7.5 to 9.0. Another actually went down from 8.0 to 7.5 so I don't get what happened there. I cracked that one back out just to take a look and it was no doubt nicer after the press than before. The finger dents on the front cover were gone and even the slight fingerprint smudge on the back cover was gone, so how it got a lower grade is beyond me.
So that's another plus that might be overlooked when sending books in for pressing. Not only are your books getting pressed, but they are getting dry cleaned too which in itself can yield some pretty amazing results.
By the way Joey (CFP), if I've not already said so, you do fabulous work.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the help! My comic books don't have any tears or creases with color tears, so they should be fine. By the way, DarthLego mentioned that CBCS doesn't charge until the comics are graded. Well, I have my first set in for grading now and they haven't gotten to them yet, but I was charged on my last Visa charge for the entire amount. Just Say'n.

I might split up my submission and send the main three in separately. I don't think pressing will help them any. They look really fine to me. Then I'll send four in to Joe at CFP for helping and let him take them over to CBCS after he gets through.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS used to charge during the grading process. You're charged upon receipt of the books. It's been that way for a while now.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
My bad. My first submission was a 2-day so my received day and grading day were the same day.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I see CBCS actually does have it written on the Invoice that 'Your comics will not be certified without payment in full.' No problem for me. I can understand why they would want payment before going through all of that process.

I've got three one one order going straight to CBCS and four on another order I'll send to CFP for pressing first.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
@dburghard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Regarding the actual order, send in all the books and paperwork to me. Indicate the ones you want pressed, and when done I will hand deliver all the books to CBCS at no additional cost to you.

If you send ALL the books to Joey, it saves you shipping costs.
Post 22 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
@dburghard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Regarding the actual order, send in all the books and paperwork to me. Indicate the ones you want pressed, and when done I will hand deliver all the books to CBCS at no additional cost to you.

If you send ALL the books to Joey, it saves you shipping costs.

And I can review the ones he does not want pressed. Just in case.
Post 23 IP   flag post
597889 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?