Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Signature Location909

Collector Jamiemadrox private msg quote post Address this user
I've been going back and forth with the placement of a signature on a book. For me, I've always ever had books signed on the front cover. But, IMHO, a book with three or more signatures looks cluttered and completely takes away from the cover art. Is it acceptable practice to have the signatures on the back cover? Or the first page?

I'm trying to get a good idea of opinions in the community. I'm relatively new to signed and graded scene. LOL
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Splash page was the old go to places for sigs, before people starting signing the covers
Post 2 IP   flag post
I personally like a splash sig on a hardcover TPB.

I don't mind having a cover sign, slabbed anyways. It's a nice display.

If I know I am not slabbing a book, I will go for the splash sig
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
There was a point in time when it was customary for signatures to go on the first page rather than the cover. (Metal beat me to it)

I think the advent of slabbing led to the cover being more common.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The book in question is an old TMNT book that is very busy on the cover with a lot of darker colors that also don't lend themselves very well to a gold or silver sharpie. Certainly not black. I'm leaning towards going for the back (predominantly white) back cover. I'm also having an issue with placement because of getting 4 signatures makes it hard to prep the book not knowing the size of each person's handwriting. LOL.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Jamiemadrox My rule of thumb is that it is your book and you can do whatever you want with it so long as it's what makes you happy, acceptable practice be damned.

I prefer my trades and hardcovers signed on a title page

For comics, I kind of love the clutter of signatures on a cover

I don't have a picture but I'm getting the reprint of the Punisher's first appearance that was produced for the 2004 movie signed on the front cover by the Punisher creators (since it has the original, slightly altered cover art) and on the back (which has poster art for the movie) signed by the star and an artist for the film.

So yeah just do whatever would make you happy, make the book unique, make it yours.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Well put@dielinfinite
Post 7 IP   flag post
On a book like that Harley Quinn, the signatures look great! Plenty of open area to sign. I definitely agree that it's my book, so I do what I want! LOL. But I am also mindful that at some point down the road, selling it may become an option (the wife may win the war...you never know!), so general practice is slightly important to me as well.

This is the front cover

This is the back

Post 8 IP   flag post
That really is a beautiful cover. You said 4 sigs.

If I was going with just Eastman and Laird I would do it on Shredder's mask.

I honestly wouldn't know where to put the other sigs. I am not a fan of back cover signing, but this might be a case of needing to.

I would really want a sketch, personally, if I was having someone sign the back cover. To me, that would be worth it
Post 9 IP   flag post
Well, I'm hopefully going to be able to catch all four of the original voice actors from the cartoon. Ideally, I'd love to have each one sign around the turtle they voiced, but I'm worried that it will look extremely cluttered doing it that way. The back cover certainly isn't my first choice, but even choosing what color sharpie to use will be a concern!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Yeah Raph and Donnie are pretty tight. Depends on the size of sig too...kinda a hard book to prep for that.

It can be done, just have to explain to each signer what you would like to see. I am sure they would be accommodating
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Jamiemadrox Personally, I'd just give them a sharpie to match their turtle color and ask them to sign near their turtle and let them know you're trying to get the others to do the same.

You can also get finer point sharpies so they can write smaller without making illegible and reducing the crowding feeling
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Jamiemadrox Personally, I'd just give them a sharpie to match their turtle color and ask them to sign near their turtle and let them know you're trying to get the others to do the same. You always get finer point sharpies so they can write smaller without making illegible

I love it! Great idea! Seriously! And I think it'll look awesome slabbed! Thank you for the suggestion! Definitely agree with you and Metal about talking to the guys and let them know what my plan is. Thank you guys for the feedback and opinions!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite That is a great idea

@Jamiemadrox Thanks, but just remember, it's your book, so do what you like. Don't ever worry what other people will think, and even if you end up selling the book, I'm sure it will go to someone who shares your enthusiasm
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Jamiemadrox Glad you like it! Here's something to get you started

And a comparison

Just remember that the thinner line may get lost easier but also allows them to sign in smaller areas where they can stand out better
Post 15 IP   flag post
After seeing the book I think back cover isn't a bad idea. All four turtles are on the back so you could still have each sign next to his specific character.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you for the comparison chart @dielinfinite. Definitely useful. I am much more a sketch guy than a signature guy, so it's interesting to try something new. The turtles are near and dear to my heart, so having the chance to have all 4 actors at the same time is too good not to jump on. Just want to get it right. I'm in love with the different colors matching the turtle they portrayed. I'm going to go with that for sure.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector ESSA private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
After seeing the book I think back cover isn't a bad idea. All four turtles are on the back so you could still have each sign next to his specific character.

i agree with DarthLego
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I would do the front cover. I would not personally do that back cover.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
double post
Post 20 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke nevermind because you agree about the back cover?

Personally since these are voice actors and all four turtles are on the back I'd get them there. I'd then try to get Kevin Eastman or another creator who worked on the book on the front cover.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Good call. go with that. over. PSSSSH
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Good call. go with that. over. PSSSSH

Over and out brah.

Post 23 IP   flag post
596795 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?