Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Suicide Squad Reviews902

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I just came back from seeing it on my extended lunch break, and I give it an A. I liked it more than Deadpool, X-Men: Apocalypse, and Civil War.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Designer_Toast private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Designer_Toast
I haven't seen it yet but I like rolling this out at every opportunity

Love that show!

When Episode I came out I was seriously excited and the trailer was amazing. After seeing that, I decided to try not to have expectations of any film.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I understand that not all pro reviews are like I characterized. I just have seen so many bad examples that I now choose to avoid all of them. When the majority of movies in my top favorites list have all gotten rotten reviews despite being absolutely fantastic movies I have gotten jaded about reviews.

This might say more about you than it does the reviewers.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector ThisLand private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Or their opinions could differ from yours? You make it sound like anyone who dislikes a movie you like has some insidious reason for doing so.

Not my intention at all. I know everyone has different tastes. I have just noticed a trend in "professional" reviews. I wasn't talking about average Joe reviews.

In general I tend to like well reviewed movies more than I do poorly reviewed ones. I'd say I'm an average joe. I'm no movie critic but I am kind of selective with what I watch. Ultimately I don't want to spend my time or money watching junk.

It's true what they say though. There's no accounting for taste.
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
I understand that not all pro reviews are like I characterized. I just have seen so many bad examples that I now choose to avoid all of them. When the majority of movies in my top favorites list have all gotten rotten reviews despite being absolutely fantastic movies I have gotten jaded about reviews.

This might say more about you than it does the reviewers.

In order for that to be true, it would mean that the only movies I enjoy are completely trash. Which defies all logic. I'm actually a very big movie buff, and very critical of movies when I watch. I always pick out plot holes, and get very frustrated when good movies have such bad last 30 second endings they negate the whole rest of the movie. I'm picky with movies. My movie collection is bigger than my comic collection. I really sincerely doubt that the only reason my favorite movies get trashed is because they are trash.
Post 55 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I'm still tripping over the plot hole in BvS. What was Lex Luther's endgame concerning Doomsday? He creates this monster to kill Superman, but if it killed Superman and survived intact, what was he going to do to keep it from continuing its rampage and destroying the world; did he have a plan to control it or destroy it himself after it disposed of Superman? It's like did you really think this through Lex or were you just ok to let this thing destroy everything and eventually yourself just to get rid of Superman?
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector deathNreign private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
I'm still tripping over the plot hole in BvS. What was Lex Luther's endgame concerning Doomsday? He creates this monster to kill Superman, but if it killed Superman and survived intact, what was he going to do to keep it from continuing its rampage and destroying the world; did he have a plan to control it or destroy it himself after it disposed of Superman? It's like did you really think this through Lex or were you just ok to let this thing destroy everything and eventually yourself just to get rid of Superman?

Agree, that I'm not sure what Lex's endgame was there. I guess you could chalk it up to Lex being simply insane, as he mentions he was declared in the Ultimate Edition. But still...
Post 57 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathNreign
Quote:

Agree, that I'm not sure what Lex's endgame was there. I guess you could chalk it up to Lex being simply insane, as he mentions he was declared in the Ultimate Edition. But still...

I hate that instead of making Lex Lex, they ended up turning him into a poor man's version of Heath Ledger's Joker; unhinged but with a point or moral philosophy that he wants to prove in a grand, morally dispicable fashion.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Jessie Eisenberg was a better Joker than Jared Leto.
Post 59 IP   flag post
@D84
Post 60 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately, not every Joker can be played by Cesar Romero.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Lex Luthor was my only complaint about BvS. They handled the character and his motivations poorly. And they never did explain how he knew everything about everyone. He even knew Batman was Bruce Wayne, how? How did he track down the rest of the future JLA?
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Hoping for a good entertaining movie. It will be hard to give all of these characters quality screen time though.
Post 63 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Am I the only person who actually enjoyed Green Lantern?

Apparently.
Post 64 IP   flag post
I won't spend money on a Quentin Tarantino movie. So I will have to wait until it is on cable.

Even though I really want to see it.
Post 65 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak Even though it's not actually a Tarantino movie?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Yea. He He. My bad. He did the parody version and I read the ad wrong.

It's game on again.
Post 67 IP   flag post
It was LootCrate put together that parody video, QT wasn't actually involved.
Post 68 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Saw it tonight. Pretty impressed really. Not a grand slam but a 3 run homer for sure. They did a pretty good job of inserting the (pull on your heart strings) back stories of the characters at timely intervals. Each actor carried their parts very well. If I have to find something to pick at, then my only real complaint is how they used Katana. Her use and place in the movie seemed awkward to me for some reason.
The plot device of if we don't stop (insert threat here), then it's the end of the world is getting wore out in these movies. Something not so epic and on a smaller scale would be a refreshing and more believable change.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
I saw it last night. I give it a C-. Off the top of my head the things that stood out were...

Positives: Leto's Joker was creepy. Harley Quinn. Deadshot. Enchantress was kinda spooky but weak as a villain. Waller's character was tough as sh*t. Most of the characters were interesting and a few were well developed.

Negatives: It was cheesy. Too dressed up and no where to go. Fights were weak. Villain minions sucked. Cliches up the wazoo. Script was ok but was far from great. Not enough Joker time, should have been the main baddie. Flag was flat. Clint Eastwoods son is in it only because he's Clint Eastwoods son. Music was for the most part distracting and over-used. The end fight scene. I felt about as disappointed as I was after BvS.

Just my 2c. See it for yourselves of course.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Just went and saw it. Was good and the soundtrack for the movie was also good. Liked it better than superman batman
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If I have to find something to pick at, then my only real complaint is how they used Katana. Her use and place in the movie seemed awkward to me for some reason.

This. I really like the Katana character, but you just get a sense they put her in this because, well, whatever. She deserved better.

I enjoyed the movie, but a few days removed, it just seems like sort of a skittish "tester" prequal to a HQ movie. Which the world is ready for.
Post 72 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Here are my thoughts on the movie:

Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector stanley1883 private msg quote post Address this user
I disagree with the critics on this. I loved SS. BvS was a let down for, as was/is Wonder Woman's casting, but SS was great!
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Watched it for the first time and didn't like it at all. Poor excuse for a plot. Deadpool is still the best comic book movie of the year. Deadpool blew Suicide Squad away.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I just saw it this morning and I couldn't put my finger at first what it was about the Joker that didn't sit with me until a few hours later after I got home.

This version of the Joker is materialistic. He has bling on his fingers, drives a flashy sports car, wears fancy pimped out clothes, carries a gold gun, and manages his crew like your typical gangster. Even Harley was a possession to him.

What I consider the "real" Joker, didn't care about money, the way he looked, or any of that stuff. He barely cares about Harley. She could be gone for a year and come back and he wouldn't even have noticed she was gone. He wouldn't even risk his own life to save hers, which he has proven countless times.

The Joker I like, can not be bargained or reasoned with. He is a tornado of destruction with no moral compass. He doesn't care about money or things. He only cares for the moment, and maybe Batman. He would even risk his life to prove a point,(Kill me Batman, I want you to do it).

Besides that, I really liked the movie.
Post 76 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I liked the movie. It was entertaining and that's all I went in hoping for. I thought it was better then all the recent movies except Deadpool.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
There some lawsuit going on where a guy is suing WB for false advertising. He is suit because a log of scenes of the Joker were in the trailers but were not in the final film.

I feel this is one of the ridiculous lawsuits but I kinda have to agree with him. The studios need to stop showing scenes not in the movie during their advertising. It is starting to get a little ridiculous. By the time the commercials hit, are not most of the movie past editing? So they figure these scenes are good enough to bring people in to the theaters but not good enough to have in the actual movie?
Post 78 IP   flag post
@roarzola It's hard to generalize so I don't think it can be a hard and fast rule. I work in video games and we just soft launched a game in the Philippines but the marketing materials had to be submitted weeks earlier since things need to be approved. Not to me tion the fact that some of the marketing materials weren't even put together by us, using things we'd made, sure, but things could easily have changed between the time we'd given them the materials and the time the game actually released.

It's not much different in movies and there are many cases of movies still being edited days, if not hours before the premiere.

With due dates set long in advance, productions are always straining to get the work done in time so lots of things are running in parallel.

And scenes are cut for various reasons not just that "they're not good enough to be in the movie.". A major one is time and pacing. The whole Rogue subplot was removed mostly for that reason; it disrupted the flow of the movie. One change can also necessitate cuts of otherwise good material. In T2, they cut a very cool, very difficult to shoot scene of Sarah and John removing the CPU from Arnold's head for time reasons, however the removal of that scene necessitated the removal of some other material explaining why that surgery was necessary and other material related to it. Much of it was great material.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Jared Leto recently said that he had filmed enough Joker scenes which were cut from the final film to make a whole Joker movie. I have a feeling there was a huge disconnect between the Director's vision and the studio, and the Director lost.
Post 80 IP   flag post
598060 92 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?