Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeQuestions

What's wrong with my auctions?896

Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Why in the hell will people spend twice the money on a lesser book than the one I am offering?

Here is my book: a solid 9.4
NM100

Here is one that sold in, from what I can tell, 8.0 at best:
nm100

Is there something wrong with my auctions, or do I need to start misrepresenting my books to get them to sell?
methuzela
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm also wondering why I haven't sold jack squat on my auctions.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Things take time. Is the first time listing them? So what? You're fine. I'd offer free shipping, and fast n free if you can or ebay'll screw you like they did my primary account.

I wouldn't worry. I'd also jack up the price to $19.99 free shipping if I were you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
look at my prices! think I care? NOPE. If you want it bad enough you're gonna buy it!
Post 4 IP   flag post
also if you realllllllly want money now... do a $.99 cent auction with free shipping and sit back. It works. People's greed and "I want it now" mentality always takes over. You shouldn't lose out on that book. It'd sell realistically at open auction for $9.99-$19.99, but make that auction end on a sunday evening at 6:05 pm PST for example, even more helpful if it's around a PAYDAY too. People are more inclined to shop when bored at work. *COUGH* @DarthLego and half the board.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@The_Curmudgeon, I'm not sure what the cattle are thinking. Your prices are awesome! And I've found when you sell cheaper than most, you get action.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke maybe I should put you in charge of hawking my extra Aspen Batman 1? People are avoiding it like kryptonite.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Things take time. Is the first time listing them?

It's been up there at that price for 3 months! How much time does it need to be there?

Quote:
I'd offer free shipping, and fast n free if you can or ebay'll screw you like they did my primary account.

What do you mean? How do they screw you?
They already screw me with their fee structure. And then I only get 50 free listings per month.
I offer free shipping on some stuff, depending on my mood at the time I list.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@The_Curmudgeon

buyers leave 1 star or 2 stars for shipping charges or ship time, which is ridiculous because I have nothing to do so I ship immediately, just ask jesse
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
also if you realllllllly want money now... do a $.99 cent auction with free shipping and sit back. It works. People's greed and "I want it now" mentality always takes over. You shouldn't lose out on that book. It'd sell realistically at open auction for $9.99-$19.99, but make that auction end on a sunday evening at 6:05 pm PST for example, even more helpful if it's around a PAYDAY too. People are more inclined to shop when bored at work. *COUGH* @DarthLego and half the board.

I think I'd end up selling everything I own for 0.99 apiece.
Post 10 IP   flag post
bonus tip: if you ship for free they don't have the option to leave stars in that category

i've learned that in the last 3 months.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
buyers leave 1 star or 2 stars for shipping charges or ship time, which is ridiculous because I have nothing to do so I ship immediately, just ask jesse

Oh, I do care about that. My feedback speaks for itself.
What irritates me is people that NEVER leave feedback.
Post 12 IP   flag post
True.

now that i learned about that howard the duck tonight *cough* I am going to start selling at comiclink.com ebay sucks balls.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
True.

now that i learned about that howard the duck tonight *cough* I am going to start selling at comiclink.com ebay sucks balls.

HTD?
How much does CL charge? And would it even be worth it to post my amply abundant '90s books there?
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
If I tell you my thoughts about the two auctions you linked, are you going to take it personal and get mad at me? I don't want that.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
If I tell you my thoughts about the two auctions you linked, are you going to take it personal and get mad at me? I don't want that.

Absolutely not, I'm an adult. But don't be cruel.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.thecomicmint.com/ takes no commission for selling your books.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Revelations
Thanks Rev, I'll check that out.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Absolutely not, I'm an adult. But don't be cruel.

Okay. First off. Yours is not an auction. It is a BIN.

Secondly. It is one book. The other guys ad is for two books. A 9.2 and a 9.7 ( which I guess is his way of saying 9.6/9.8

Thirdly. You do not give your grading of the book. The other guy grades his, as bad as his grading might be. You should give YOUR OPINION of the grade. It makes a buyer feel like he or she is dealing with someone who knows comic books.

Fourthly. The other guy has free shipping. Yours is four bucks for a ten buck comic book. People feel better about getting free shipping for a twenty dollar book. And some, like me. Don't like it when sellers always try to squeeze every cent they can. I mean, it is highly unlikely shipping will be exactly $3.99. Just say shipping is #4.00, if you are going to charge for shipping. Don't try to fool me with the ole .99 cent ending.

The big things are, two books versus one book, AND no opinion on the grade by you. A book can not be graded by two pictures. There could be numerous things wrong that can not be seen in scans like that.

Just my opinion.

But what do I know. I just buy books a lot, and sell sometimes (always in an auction and never in a fixed price or best offer).
Post 19 IP   flag post
Yeah but by stating no grade at all you don't get into a heated argument with the buyer (which , God help me, I have been through some terrible buyers with my Walking Dead books). I try to avoid giving a grade unless I'm sure.
Post 20 IP   flag post
See, I completely missed that guy was selling 2 books. I think most of us, did too. He gave a terrible description in his title.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak
Thanks, I appreciate the honesty, CF.
I missed that one being two books, but there are several other examples.
Ex01
Ex02
Ex03

Yes I know, some of them are auctions as opposed to BIN.
But my point remains valid about people paying more for equal or lesser books, sometimes with crap-ass phone pics no less.

Quote:
Yeah but by stating no grade at all you don't get into a heated argument with the buyer (which , God help me, I have been through some terrible buyers with my Walking Dead books). I try to avoid giving a grade unless I'm sure.

This.

Is free shipping really that big of a draw for buyers?
I've gotten some really crappy service from sellers that use free shipping, so I tend to stay away from them.

I've been done wrong by low starting bid auctions before, and don't like just giving my stuff away.
I'm losing my ass on Hot Wheels right now.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
dont know if you notice but he or she was selling 2 books. newsstand and direct edition. and from what ive been seeing news stand are more rare back then well atleast the ones in good condition coz it was man handle vs the ones from direct.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I also missed that he was selling two books.
Post 24 IP   flag post
that's a good point, you should research and look into the print run numbers to back up @Gwenlocke_Variant 's theory.

@DarthLego i truly think we all did.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I think Curmudgeon gave a decent enough description of the book. There was enough info. to make a decision. Other than 2 books vs 1 book, which has already been discussed, the biggest difference i noticed was feedback. Both had 100% but the other seller has 35312 K transactions with 100% to 297. That's a big enough #, that I might pay a little extra to buy from him.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenlocke_Variant
dont know if you notice but he or she was selling 2 books. newsstand and direct edition. and from what ive been seeing news stand are more rare back then well atleast the ones in good condition coz it was man handle vs the ones from direct.

Yeah, newsstand is less common (not rare) in ultra high grade(9.6 & up), but 9.4 & down is as common as Bahia grass in Texas.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Both had 100% but the other seller has 35312 K transactions with 100% to 297. That's a big enough #, that I might pay a little extra to buy from him.

I tend to go the other way.
I feel like if it's coming from someones personal collection, then maybe they have a love for the comic as I do and will see to it's care as they send it to a new home.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@The_Curmudgeon me too.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@The_Curmudgeon Have you tried selling in the Facebook groups? I just sold a book today in one. There are some great selling groups on there plus you don't lose 10% eBay fees only 2.9% PayPal fee.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600777 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?