Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Deadpool private msg quote post Address this user
beautiful Book.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector dormian private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome Book!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user
Steve walk us through grading-what is the first thing you do, how do you check resto etc do you ever get baffled. Are there certain books you're sick of seeing. Stuff like that.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Makeminemego private msg quote post Address this user
That's just an incredible copy. Colors and blacks look so rich and deep. Congrats, and have fun.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Primetime private msg quote post Address this user
Steve!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Wilson3d private msg quote post Address this user
What an amazing book!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
The only thing that I really miss in the emoticons is an applause icon. It would get a lot of use here.
Post 32 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_1
Amazing book. Restored? The cover is so crisp.

No resto.....
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
Steve walk us through grading-what is the first thing you do, how do you check resto etc do you ever get baffled. Are there certain books you're sick of seeing. Stuff like that.

Well.... The first thing I do is check my pre-graders notes, as that speeds up the process of finalizing. I do not check their grades until I pick the grade I think it should be. If we are all in agreement on the grade, I hit the grade button and it goes to encapsulation. If, say, I pick the grade of 7.0 and one of the pre-graders is at 6.5 and the other is at 7.0, I pick 7.0. If my pre-graders are at a different grade than I am, I will pass the book to another grader. If that grader chooses the same grade I did, that's the grade I give it. If not, I will re-evaluate my grade and change it or not.

I check for restoration even after it has already been checked, as sometimes I find 1 or 2 things that have been missed.

As to being "baffled", yes, that happens. I once held a book in grading for two weeks because it "felt" funky. Looked at it everyday and finally found out what was wrong with it. A very sneaky resto job. That said, it is very rare that that would happen. Today I found a slight trim on a book that took me 10 minutes to figure out if I was correct or not.

Hope that helps answer your question
Post 34 IP   flag post
Another amazing comic I got the privilege to grade that you almost never see in nice shape. It's also a book I never owned as a high grade collector.

The Adventures of Rex the Wonder Dog #11 with cover and art by the great Gil Kane. Fantastic atom bomb & dinosaur cover. I hope you all enjoy seeing this rare book as much as I did grading it!

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome. I need a new gig
Post 36 IP   flag post
5.5!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav

Well.... The first thing I do is check my pre-graders notes, as that speeds up the process of finalizing. I do not check their grades until I pick the grade I think it should be. If we are all in agreement on the grade, I hit the grade button and it goes to encapsulation. If, say, I pick the grade of 7.0 and one of the pre-graders is at 6.5 and the other is at 7.0, I pick 7.0. If my pre-graders are at a different grade than I am, I will pass the book to another grader. If that grader chooses the same grade I did, that's the grade I give it. If not, I will re-evaluate my grade and change it or not.

I check for restoration even after it has already been checked, as sometimes I find 1 or 2 things that have been missed.

As to being "baffled", yes, that happens. I once held a book in grading for two weeks because it "felt" funky. Looked at it everyday and finally found out what was wrong with it. A very sneaky resto job. That said, it is very rare that that would happen. Today I found a slight trim on a book that took me 10 minutes to figure out if I was correct or not.

yes and thx-I love reading stuff like that.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector catrick339 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Another amazing comic I got the privilege to grade that you almost never see in nice shape. It's also a book I never owned as a high grade collector.

The Adventures of Rex the Wonder Dog #11 with cover and art by the great Gil Kane. Fantastic atom bomb & dinosaur cover. I hope you all enjoy seeing this rare book as much as I did grading it!

Quote:

IMO, this is THE Silver Age DC cover. Our Heroes, armed with nothing but radiation goggles, face the twin threats of nuclear explosion and Tyrannosaur, while Rex gallops in from stage left to save the day! The only POSSIBLE thing that might improve it would be a gigantic ape approaching from the left side!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Two great comics I had the privilege to grade today!
Marvel Mystery #12 (Recil Macon copy) and Marvel Mystery #19. Nice high grade copies! I hope you enjoy seeing these as much as I did!

Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
SO sweet! I love MMC and their covers. The colors just pop on those copies.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav

I absolutely love this open response. Steve, you rock bro.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav

I absolutely love this open response. Steve, you rock bro.

Thanks!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Another amazing comic I had the privilege of grading!

Supersnipe Vol.1 #9. Not high grade, but also very hard to find in nice shape. A crazy Hitler cover by George Marcoux and very coveted by collectors.

Post 44 IP   flag post
Gotta love Supersnipe
Post 45 IP   flag post
600861 45 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?