Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Do You Crack Your Slabs? Why?867

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious why people crack their slabs. Grading/slabbing isn't cheap (for me) Why spend the money then just throw it away? I don't understand this practice.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a cracker (wow, that doesn't sound right lol). But I have seen collectors who only keep raw books in their collection. They will buy slabbed for several reasons, to verify they are getting a high grade, and to ensure they are not getting a restored book.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I have personally cracked many books over the years, for as Lego wrote, many reasons. Most graded books I do not crack, however...because of rapid liquidity more than anything else.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TheMaxx private msg quote post Address this user
i've always been more of a reader than a collector, but when I decided to start taking up larger value books (1000+), I got taken on a restored book. Grading is a great buying and selling tool. Even though I crack a book I know that I can eventually regrade, and get my money back out of it. It's more of a certainty of I know what I'm buying.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector userX745 private msg quote post Address this user
Heard some people will buy low graded books that they think they can press and try and get a better grade on the book. Others get it signed and signed again by someone else. Many reasons why someone will crack the case.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@TheMaxx Bingo.
I let others do the submitting for me. Once I know the book is resto free and complete, I liberate it.

Not always, though. I'm keeping big money items slabbed in case of emergency, and in the case of my Kirby signed (splash page) Kamandi #1, I wanted to see the sig, as well as have my friend sign it. If I kept it slabbed, I wouldn't have been able to do either.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
All of my books are raw. I just only now placed 2 orders for some of the highest valued comics I own or ones double, triple signed, or Stan Lee signed books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I crack them so I can collect the labels.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
I crack them so I can collect the labels.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector zab47 private msg quote post Address this user
each to their own I do the money bit need to reinvest sell the graded put 2 more good one's back for higher investment just started and learned the hard way buy grade sell buy 2 grade sell 2 buy 4 then sell 2 keep 2 wow what a cycle it works for my collection
Post 10 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
[b]@zab47 uhh..that's a lot of math and stuff. I prefer Pythag's theory. A squared + B squared = C squared. Where A is my graded books, B are my raw books, which equals C (one bad ass collection.)
Post 11 IP   flag post
that a ripper if there was 1 ---ya got me fella
Post 12 IP   flag post
???

I think I smoked one too many.

OOPS!

I mean, I think I smoked one too many.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
[b]@zab47 uhh..that's a lot of math and stuff. I prefer Pythag's theory. A squared + B squared = C squared. Where A is my graded books, B are my raw books, which equals C (one bad ass collection.)

Let me translate, I speak this language.

He said: @zab47 Use some punctuation and grammar rules.
Post 14 IP   flag post
no i'm a coal cracker besides I am handi capped and this took long enough
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for everyone's responses. I never would have thought about using the slabbing as weeding out the unwanted, restoration and such. I still think the comic would be safer in slab form then raw but to each their own. Thanks again!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
I don't like books from 1970 thru modern to be slabbed. They are not rare in high grade and should be fondled from time to time. So Bronze thru modern, I like to see raw and have liberated a few but keep the label and tuck it behind the backing board inside the Mylar.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zab47
no i'm a coal cracker besides I am handi capped and this took long enough

Oh now I feel like shit. Sorry.

I still couldn't follow either post, though
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I'll buy Golden Age slabbed, to make sure there is no undisclosed restoration, and to verify that the book is complete. They get cracked out because I want a copy for my permanent collection.

I only slab books that are for sale, because if it's high dollar, it makes everyone more comfortable with the price.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
If a book is observably below 5.0 then there are few logical reasons for getting it graded (encapsulated) unless it's rare and/or in demand. If it's a high grade (8.5+) encapsulated book that will likely increase in value, then there's rarely a defensible reason for cracking it out.

I feel pretty good about this from an objective standpoint.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm getting my Amazing Spider-man #1 cover detached slabbed for obvious reasons to preserve it and I think people will still want to buy it for $5000 with a stan lee signature on it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke the conversation is about cracking, not slabbing. Nice brag about your ASM1 though.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I'm getting my Amazing Spider-man #1 cover detached slabbed for obvious reasons to preserve it and I think people will still want to buy it for $5000 with a stan lee signature on it.

Maaaaayyybbbeeeeeee.

The last Stan Lee SS ASM #1 to get near $5000 was a 3.5 this month ($4800).

But we digress.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
I don't like books from 1970 thru modern to be slabbed. They are not rare in high grade and should be fondled from time to time. So Bronze thru modern, I like to see raw and have liberated a few but keep the label and tuck it behind the backing board inside the Mylar.
I'll crack a books if I want it raw but of course there is exceptions to every rule. I wouldn't crack this one out to fondle it. It's a modern and not even a 9.8

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
I'll crack a books if I want it raw but of course there is exceptions to every rule.

I agree.
I would not crack this out. Not because it's valuable or anything like that. But because it's a novelty item.

And I doubt anyone will miss it LOL

Post 25 IP   flag post
I joke about giving it CPR in hopes of a 10.0 lol
Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I joke about giving it CPR in hopes of a 10.0 lol
It's funny I thought for sure on some of my books they would come back 9.9 or 10.0. Nope just standard 9.8's. I would almost wager if you were to crack and resub it, it may just come back a 9.8. I'm not saying anything except it's easier to call a book a 9.8 then the elusive 9.9 or 10.0. And congrats did you sub it yourself or buy it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I have a Batman 497 that would probably get a 9.9
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I do buy some slabbed books with the intention of cracking them out if I want a decent mid grade copy to have as a reader. I usually do this if I already have higher grade slabbed copy or if it's just a book I want and don't care if I have a high grade copy, but still want the assurance of its condition.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597868 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?