Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

What to do with a book missing a page?863

Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
On a side note on here when you put say @ then someone's name do they get an alert somehow to the page it was put on?

I have no idea, but I did so just in case Steve has a bat signal.

Haha. Don't know why I just quoted to put haha in a thread where only 3 of us are talking
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Swampy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where does it note leaf casting on the label. Just says pieces added. Why @Swampy does pieces added mean it was to cover up trim as you say?

Resto comics can sell for 50% less if more. If a comic has slight resto pieces added to cover or even slight/mod pieces added it can be much more profitable to take it off. Especially if you can do it yourslef.

If they're only buying it to try to "unfix it" enough to get a blue label and flip it for thousands, then screw em, they get what they deserve

Some may do it as they just want it un-restored though.

But a trimmed book will alaways be a trimmed book, with or without leafcasting. It will never be in a blue label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus
All I am saying is it happens in MANY varying ways. If grading companies are happy to just put pieces added then say restorers who add the pieces so now not trimmed but still extensive say then more for them. Just a topic of discussion not disagreement here

Sure. If you have more examples it could be a great topic of discussion. There's 3 million slabs out there...

I know. Am I talking in another language or something here. I am saying that if a comic is restored with pieces added some people buy these to take the resto off and hope for a blue label.

Right, and I said good, I hope those greedy flippers lose a lot of money. If they're not flippers they still know they are taking a big gamble buying a PLOD so if they lose out it's tough shit, you know.

Quote:
But when they buy these ones that have had the trim covered they will be in for a shock when it comes back trimmed. So as I have said it can be misleading.

So they bought a PLOD, and then they still have a PLOD, what's the big deal?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where does it note leaf casting on the label. Just says pieces added. Why @Swampy does pieces added mean it was to cover up trim as you say?

Resto comics can sell for 50% less if more. If a comic has slight resto pieces added to cover or even slight/mod pieces added it can be much more profitable to take it off. Especially if you can do it yourslef.

If they're only buying it to try to "unfix it" enough to get a blue label and flip it for thousands, then screw em, they get what they deserve

But a trimmed book will alaways be a trimmed book, with or without leafcasting. It will never be in a blue label.

Quote:
All I am saying is it happens in MANY varying ways. If grading companies are happy to just put pieces added then say restorers who add the pieces so now not trimmed but still extensive say then more for them. Just a topic of discussion not disagreement here

Sure. If you have more examples it could be a great topic of discussion. There's 3 million slabs out there...

I know. Am I talking in another language or something here. I am saying that if a comic is restored with pieces added some people buy these to take the resto off and hope for a blue label.

Right, and I said good, I hope those greedy flippers lose a lot of money. If they're not flippers they still know they are taking a big gamble buying a PLOD so if they lose out it's though shit, you know.

Quote:
But when they buy these ones that have had the trim covered they will be in for a shock when it comes back trimmed. So as I have said it can be misleading.

Is that a serious question or are you trolling me now lol

Plus I heavily disagree with that whole statement. Nothing wrong with taking restoration off to sell as an unrestored comic. Their money and risk. Then if blue they will sell as the market dictates. Harsh view
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Right, and I said good, I hope those greedy flippers lose a lot of money. If they're not flippers they still know they are taking a big gamble buying a PLOD so if they lose out it's though shit, you know.

Quote:

Is that a serious question or are you trolling me now lol

Not sure what you mean here. Why would they be shocked to find out their restored book was restored?
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector adgbiking private msg quote post Address this user
I really do wonder what CBCS would do if I cracked this book out of the slab and put a loose last page to replace the missing page. I wounder if they would just grade the boom as a whole and deduct for the detached page or if they would still consider it a .5. Hmmmmm
Post 80 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I'd say if a restoration was classified as "extensive" and "professional" then undoing it would probably lower the value because why would someone pay lots of money to reduce the value of a book?
Post 81 IP   flag post
Ok last time as getting a bit frustrated @Swampy

A bloke buys an AF15 from a shop which is 6.0 restored pieces added.

Bloke wants to take off the resto (pieces added) so it becomes unrestored. He has NO IDEA that the pieces added to the comic where to mask the trim as not noted anywhere and his best mate didn't own the comic when it was trimmed and only trimmed.

So he thinks taking the pieces added off will make it a blue. But the restorer comes back and either says ''hi sorry to say but the pieces added are infact all on one edge as though it was to mask trim. So it will come back as trimed''

Or he just takes it off without telling the customer this and it comes back trimmed. I really can't say it agani as getting ridiculous now
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgbiking
I really do wonder what CBCS would do if I cracked this book out of the slab and put a loose last page to replace the missing page. I wounder if they would just grade the boom as a whole and deduct for the detached page or if they would still consider it a .5. Hmmmmm

You said replaced, is the page from the book or a different book?
Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
Personally I'd say if a restoration was classified as "extensive" and "professional" then undoing it would probably lower the value because why would someone pay lots of money to reduce the value of a book?

Of course but if the comic was only trimmed to begin with at say a 5.0 then the trim and only the tim was covered then it could come back slight/mod or even slight with just pieces added. People could try to have that removed
Post 84 IP   flag post
@adgbiking Send Steve Rickets a PM and ask, he won't bite (hard).
Post 85 IP   flag post
@matterus023 I don't know if an entire right edge restore could be done as "slight/moderate." We need a restoration expert to chime in.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:

Bloke wants to take off the resto (pieces added) so it becomes unrestored. He has NO IDEA that the pieces added to the comic where to mask the trim as not noted anywhere and his best mate didn't own the comic when it was trimmed and only trimmed.

So he thinks taking the pieces added off will make it a blue. But the restorer comes back and either says ''hi sorry to say but the pieces added are infact all on one edge as though it was to mask trim. So it will come back as trimed''

Or he just takes it off without telling the customer this and it comes back trimmed. I really can't say it agani as getting ridiculous now

I don't know how much more direct I can be. If someone buys a PLOD with the intent of turning it Blue for profit I hope they get screwed over! I hope they lose thousands of dollars for being such greedy pricks.

That's it in a nutshell. Thank you!
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
@matterus023 I don't know if an entire right edge restore could be done as "slight/moderate." We need a restoration expert to chime in.

Now this I agree with. I personally think it could as it could of been micro trimming so very little area squared to be added. But I do not know.

Either way trimmed comics get turned into untrimmed comics without it being noted
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know how much more direct I can be. If someone buys a PLOD with the intent of turning it Blue for profit I hope they get screwed over! I hope they lose thousands of dollars for being such greedy pricks.

That is a crazy attitude. Many people hate that comics are even restored so if someone wants to take resto of to get it unrestored how are they greedy pricks? If a comic has a couple dots of colour touch and that is removed successfully and for their time and effort they sell it (at fmv) and make a profit this makes them a greedy prick. You are nuts
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is a crazy attitude. Many people hate that comics are even restored so if someone wants to take resto of to get it unrestored how are they greedy pricks? If a comic has a couple dots of colour touch and that is removed successfully and for their time and effort they sell it (at fmv) and make a profit this makes them a greedy prick. You are nuts

Please read my previous posts again, you missed some specifics.
Post 90 IP   flag post
I would suggest if the notation says pieces added then get it examined by whoever you are thinking of using to remove the resto and get a list of what was done to it before they begin undoing it. Be an educated customer, don't just hand it over and say "have at it!"
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:

''Right, and I said good, I hope those greedy flippers lose a lot of money. If they're not flippers they still know they are taking a big gamble buying a PLOD so if they lose out it's though shit, you know.''

What did I miss? Genuine question
Post 92 IP   flag post
No, you know what it is, it's CGC trying to get you to buy the grading notes for every book you see.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
I would suggest if the notation says pieces added then get it examined by whoever you are thinking of using to remove the resto and get a list of what was done to it before they begin undoing it. Be an educated customer, don't just hand it over and say "have at it!"

You are heavily missing the point. Once you have bought the comic then it is too late. If you buy with the intention to take resto off well the restorer needs to crack the comic to observe it (so you can't get a refund now). So if the restorer as I mentioned says ''me doing this will make it trimmed'' you are left with a comic that you didn't think you were buying.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
No, you know what it is, it's CGC trying to get you to buy the grading notes for every book you see.

This is why I don't deal with CGC. Well, one of the many reasons.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:

This is a HUGE plus for CBCS
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

''Right, and I said good, I hope those greedy flippers lose a lot of money. If they're not flippers they still know they are taking a big gamble buying a PLOD so if they lose out it's though shit, you know.''

No, this post:

That is a crazy attitude. Many people hate that comics are even restored so if someone wants to take resto of to get it unrestored how are they greedy pricks?

For one, I said "for profit".
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, this post:

That is a crazy attitude. Many people hate that comics are even restored so if someone wants to take resto of to get it unrestored how are they greedy pricks?

Yes but my whole reply was this

''That is a crazy attitude. Many people hate that comics are even restored so if someone wants to take resto of to get it unrestored how are they greedy pricks? If a comic has a couple dots of colour touch and that is removed successfully and for their time and effort they sell it (at fmv) and make a profit this makes them a greedy prick. You are nuts''

Saying that for profit anyway makes you a greedy prick is just very harsh
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

You are heavily missing the point. Once you have bought the comic then it is too late. If you buy with the intention to take resto off well the restorer needs to crack the comic to observe it (so you can't get a refund now). So if the restorer as I mentioned says ''me doing this will make it trimmed'' you are left with a comic that you didn't think you were buying.

But either way it's in a purple label, so it's not that much of a difference. Am I misunderstanding how much you hate trimming?
Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, this post:

Yes but my whole reply was this

''That is a crazy attitude. Many people hate that comics are even restored so if someone wants to take resto of to get it unrestored how are they greedy pricks? If a comic has a couple dots of colour touch and that is removed successfully and for their time and effort they sell it (at fmv) and make a profit this makes them a greedy prick. You are nuts''

Saying that for profit anyway makes you a greedy prick is just very harsh

Truth hurts.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

But if you paid for a restored book you know what you are getting, if you're only intentions in buying a restored book is to crack it open and undo the resto in the hopes of increasing the value then you are assuming that risk in your venture.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But either way it's in a purple label, so it's not that much of a difference. Am I misunderstanding how much you hate trimming?

No you just have completely misunderstood the whole point of this convo and I refuse to explain it a 10th time to you
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But if you paid for a restored book you know what you are getting, if you're only intentions in buying a restored book is to crack it open and undo the resto in the hopes of increasing the value then you are assuming that risk in your venture.

THANK YOU, GOODNIGHT!

You nailed it Darth.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not at all. Yes there is risk but if this comic was not originally trimmed then the slight/mod resto could be taken off eventually without it coming back trimmed.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

THANK YOU, GOODNIGHT!

You nailed it Darth.

Not thank you lol

My whole point is if you buy a restored comic to take the resto off then shouldn't you be aware that by doing this the comic will come back as trimmed. We are all aware of the risks of taking resto off and people do this as a business but not knowing it was trimmed is not a risk the buyer should have to take as it should be noted
Post 105 IP   flag post
601289 131 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.