Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

What to do with a book missing a page?863

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@matterus023 you're are correct, CBCS will put "Married" on the label rather than "Restored." Sorry for any confusion, what I should have said is they will note the resto by putting married on the label.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@matterus023 you're are correct, CBCS will put "Married" on the label rather than "Restored." Sorry for any confusion, what I should have said is they will note the resto by putting married on the label.

But it isn't resto. According to some
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
Actually I am not sure what CBCS does with say single pages just placed in. Does anyone know. I know CGC used to just downgrade say 1.0 point and give blue at times or green depending on the day or customer.

But what does CBCS do if a single placed in?????

You placed in, but still detached? That's a good question.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@matterus023 well I guess that's why CBCS just puts "married" on the label.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Swampy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgbiking
Hey Everyone!

I recently found myself in a situation where I purchased a copy of Superman #12 from 1941. The book ended up missing the last page which I somehow overlooked before I purchased the book and sent it to CGC. (I know I should have counted the pages ) Anyway the book came back from CGC as a 4.0 Qualified Grade with a note that the last page is missing and that it does not effect the story. Well now I am trying to weigh my options. If I am able to find myself a coverless or incomplete copy of Superman #12 with the last page/wrap intact should I marry this page/wrap to my graded copy? This would then make the book restored I would assume? Should I just tape the page into the book because tape is not considered restoration? Should I just put the page in the book and leave it not attached? I'm not sure how this would effect the grade if I had the book regraded. Anyways it would be great to get some advice!

Thanks!

Aaron

This is as far as I know it

1. If you marry professionally a page from somewhere else it isn't resto no. Well as the comic doesn't have anything else going on with it

I'm with Mr Sigs, I can't understand why married pages aren't restoration. You're taking a page from one book and putting in into another book that was incomplete. That's restored to me.

The only other thing I can think of is that it's just semantics. IIRC, CBCS doesn't label trimming as restoration because it's actually the opposite, it's destruction.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I would imagine some people would argue anything that requires opening of the staples to be resto. But I'm not that familiar with the topic, so I can't say either way.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@Swampy I agree, in my mind it's considered restoration.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I do like how CBCS approaches this stuff, just put a notation on the blue label of what's been done to it, grade it, and call it a day.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I mean with wraps you have to undo the staples then add the donor wrap back in. So married.

But if just a single page (or centerfold floating) put back in then do CBCS give it a married. Well suppose they can't as not married. Do they put conserved well again no as not the right terminology. It isn't restored and they don't do qualified labels. Do CBCS just downgrade and put it in the notes but not on the label?

CGC used to just normally downgrade by a couple of points. I think
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
I would imagine some people would argue anything that requires opening of the staples to be resto. But I'm not that familiar with the topic, so I can't say either way.

That was confirmed by Steve Borock a long time ago on the CGC board. For CGC books it was ok to disassemble and reassemble a book as long as you do it right. Just like pressing, you can still get a blue label.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Quote:

That was confirmed by Steve Borock a long time ago on the CGC board. For CGC books it was ok to disassemble and reassemble a book as long as you do it right. Just like pressing, you can still get a blue label.

Yeah like you say those that press comics professionally take the staples out and get the blue label. I was going to get into pressing but taking the staples worries me. Many comics to practice on first.

The biggest problem I had with say CGC is if a comic was trimmed and trimmed only. Then a pro restorer could add the pieces along the edge so it would become say slight resto pieces added (but now not trimmed). But unless you asked for the notes when buying you wouldn't of known that the pieces added if taken off would make the comic trimmed again lol

Was/is really dodgy

Oh and on a side note CGC always made out like PGX was/is the devil. Many of their slight resto's have many dots of colour touch sometimes as many as 50+ and decent chunks added on. So many trying to buy to take off be really careful. You have to think the good candidates when passing though CGC will be passed onto CCS if the customer is happy to do so. Others are just put through the system either as gift grades or they really are blind at times. Only things that make sense to me
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah like you say those that press comics professionally take the staples out and get the blue label. I was going to get into pressing but taking the staples worries me. Many comics to practice on first.

Theres always spot pressing where you don't disassemble the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus
The biggest problem I had with say CGC is if a comic was trimmed and trimmed only. Then a pro restorer could add the pieces along the edge so it would become say slight resto pieces added (ut now not trimmed). But unless you asked for the notes when buying you wouldn't of known that the pieces added if taken off would make the comic trimmed again lol

Was/is really dodgy

I have never heard of any of this ever happening in the history of comics You know of this happening first-hand?
Post 37 IP   flag post
I imagine that anything loose would get a notation of "detached" on the label.

@matterus023 I have never heard of such a thing as "untrimming" a book. I don't think such a thing would be feasible, and where would the doner pieces come from?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Theres always spot pressing where you don't disassemble the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus
The biggest problem I had with say CGC is if a comic was trimmed and trimmed only. Then a pro restorer could add the pieces along the edge so it would become say slight resto pieces added (ut now not trimmed). But unless you asked for the notes when buying you wouldn't of known that the pieces added if taken off would make the comic trimmed again lol

Was/is really dodgy

I have never heard of any of this every happening in the history of comics You know of this happening first-hand?

The best pressing jobs can only be done by taking the whole thing apart. I can do you one better and show you one example done by a top restorer.

http://www.eclipsepaper.com/showcase%2022.html

This is different as the customer had enough work done to take to extensive. But hey presto not trimmed anymore. Happens a lot trust me.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:

@matterus023 I have never heard of such a thing as "untrimming" a book. I don't think such a thing would be feasible, and where would the doner pieces come from?

Happens loads of times. Just leaf casting and good art work
Post 40 IP   flag post
@matterus023 I'll be damned. I bet that was expensive work.
Post 41 IP   flag post
One thing I don't know is if CBCS puts on notes that the pieces added were to a previously trimmed comic say.

Could find out though
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, you're talking about leaf casting, that different. Ze Man would be the one to talk to about this. I agree with Darth Lego, regular?at trimming is way too tiny to be restored. Once a book is trimmed, it's trimmed.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
@matterus023 I'll be damned. I bet that was expensive work.

Restoration can run into the thousands. No idea on that project but I have had ones done myself before
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, you're talking about leaf casting, that different. Ze Man would be the one to talk to about this. I agree with Darth Lego, regular?at trimming is way too tiny to be restored. Once a book is trimmed, it's trimmed.

It isn't different in the context of what we are talking about. That comic displayed trimmed and now not trimmed. That is my point. It can be a surprise for those who take the pieces off once buy the comic
Post 45 IP   flag post
@matterus023 the leaf casting was noted on the new label where it says "pieces added" so it's not a surprise.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
@matterus023 the leaf casting was noted on the new label where it says "pieces added" so it's not a surprise.

Exactly. Plus it went from Slight P to Extensive P. The trimming might have been "fixed" but CGC didn't miss it.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:

What I am saying is a comic can be say a 6.5 timmed. Nothing else. Now a restorer puts the thin edge back on. It now comes back 6.5 restored pieces added.

Now a buyer could buy it thinking I will take the resto of and sell it as a blue label. But by doing that it is now back to trimmed. Kills value
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. Plus it went from Slight P to Extensive P. The trimming might have been "fixed" but CGC didn't miss it.

Trust me guys this is not the case. They didn't miss it the second time round. This is common practice by many restorers.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Plus some extensive restored comics with trim are bought and the pieces added back on so still extensive but no longer trim.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

What I am saying is a comic can be say a 6.5 timmed. Nothing else. Now a restorer puts the thin edge back on. It now comes back 6.5 restored pieces added.

Now a buyer could buy it thinking I will take the resto of and sell it as a blue label. But by doing that it is now back to trimmed. Kills value

Anyone who knows anything about leaf casting would not think k that.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@matterus023 I don't know why anyone would attempt to unrestore a leaf casting restoration. Restoration that extensive is usually only done when the end result adds thousands of dollars to the value.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone who knows anything about leaf casting would not think k that.

No think what? I am not following. I am stating facts here. I don't go about making things up like this for fun
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Plus some extensive restored comics with trim are bought and the pieces added back on so still extensive but no longer trim.

You've got some crazy conspiracy theories
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

You've got some crazy conspiracy theories

Ok lol
Post 55 IP   flag post
601211 131 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.