Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics MagazinesComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

KaptainMyke's "I just found this" thread.848

Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Just found a really nice copy of ASM 300 for well under market price at a local flee market. Seller knew it had value, so it wasn't highway robbery. But, given the condition (at least an 8.5 to 9.2) it was definitely a nice pickup for the price. I may post a "grade check" of it soon.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke - No reserve? I can tell you right now how much that will probably wind up selling for.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Probably $350 if I were to guess. It's Romita Jr.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Romita original comic pages pieces RARELY go on auction on ebay, if any. Might go more, if more than 1 person fights for it.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke - $350 minimum. Problem is, on ebay there's somehwat of a price ceiling. Still $500+ tends to sit around for a while, unless it's Jack Kirby or a superstar like Jim Lee, or Byrne.

A JR Spidey would be in that category. He's a classic Spider-Man artist. JR JR not so much. It would be more based on the quality of the page. Major plus, is it's got great action spidey panels.

For me, personally, I prefer word or thought balloons on my pages. That's what makes comic book art unique and special. So, the fact that yours is a more modern page, with that stuff added on by an acetate overlay, or by computer, arguably detracts from the value. BUT, it's a great, dynamic action spidey page, so that may be a minor quibble for collectors.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Yep. The signature bothers me though.
Post 56 IP   flag post
I don't like the "R"s and the "3". Looks funny. I could be wrong. I've looked at hundreds of CGC SS labels for 2 days and his damn signature is all over the place. With a box, without a box, Vertical, Horizontal, date, no date, lazy jr jr, pristine jr jr. It's like it depended on his mood at the time of signing, or if he was in a hurry or not. It seems this one was signed with great care...maybe because it's a presentation piece, or action panel piece? I don't know. I need more input before I let this one go.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Where's you pick that page up, if I may ask?
Post 58 IP   flag post
It's one of many comic art pages I recieved in an estate sale collection over 6 years ago. Everything has been real and authentic. So I don't doubt the validity of this item. I've seen countless Romita signatures though. He usually hooks his R tails upwards and not downwards. The first R has a upwards hook but the second lazily drifts down.
Post 59 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke - That "signature" isn't much of one anyway. Even if it's authentic. Doesn't detract from the value IMHO. It's not signed on the art itself.

I have a fantastic Thor title splash done by Sal Buscema that I personally witnessed him sign. I bought it directly from him 25 years ago. He and I are the only two people who ever owned it.

He signed it on the art itself, but in an unobtrusive location. I had two different comic art appraisers tell me that it didn't have a negative impact on the value. But, there's no doubt it's Sal's sig, so....
Post 60 IP   flag post
So you're saying because the signature isn't on the art itself it doesn't matter? Interesting. I've seen 3 or 4 other comic art pages with Romita Sr or a Romita Jr and they both seem to sign it outside the border for some odd reason. Maybe because he just did the penciling on it...
Post 61 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke - There's two kinds of internal signatures. 1 is when the page was originally drawn. Sometimes the artists will stick their sig in there on an interior page. That's different. That's actually part of the art because it was printed when the book when out, and you can see the signature in the printed comic.

The other is after the fact when an artist signs an already printed page, somewhere inside the art lines.

Vast majority of artists sign outside the printed page, for obvious reasons. Sal signed mine inside, for some reason. But, I've had it appraised by two respected authorities who said it made zero difference because it was in an unobtrusive way.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Now that you mention it, most artists do seem to sign outside the borders on all my signed 11x17 published pages. Paul Gulacy, Randy Emberlin.
Post 63 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke - I don't mean to suggest that the signature of the artist on original art doesn't matter. It does! But, in the case of JR JR, I don't think the fact that you cannot say with firmness that he signed it will effect the value of the page.

JR Sr? Yes. You'd want to get that authenticated. Especially for a great Spidey page. That would increase the value significantly.

I actually would be more interested in a JR Jr X-Men page, all else being equal. But, this is a great Spidey page, no matter who drew it. The artists is almost beside the point with this page (Unless it were Ditko, JR Sr, or another superstar).
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Now that you mention it, most artists do seem to sign outside the borders on all my signed 11x17 published pages. Paul Gulacy, Randy Emberlin.

That's a convention. They don't want to mess with their art. It's pretty rare for them to sign it inside anymore. Sal was old school, though.

And, it actually adds something special to the page, IMHO. Plus, mine didn't really have a lot of available border area, because it's an 80's Title splash, with all the extras. It's fantastic.
Post 65 IP   flag post
It's going out tonight at 6:30 pm PST for a 7 day auction starting at 99 cents, with no reserve. I have bigger and better things I need to purchase.
Post 66 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Does the comic it's for come with it?
Post 67 IP   flag post
No, I'm keeping my book.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Mykey do you have this one? Cover by David Finch. There were only 2 on ebay, I grabbed one, now there's only one seller on ebay with this cover.

Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio2000
@kaptainmyke - $350 minimum. Problem is, on ebay there's somehwat of a price ceiling. Still $500+ tends to sit around for a while, unless it's Jack Kirby OR a superstar like Jim Lee, or Byrne.

Is it just me, or is there something fundamentally wrong with the way this line was worded LOL
Post 70 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS I see what you see, but I don't think his intension was to say Kirby isn't a superstar.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Bumper Music
Post 72 IP   flag post
597868 72 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?