Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern Age

What are you currently hunting for?838

Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
BTW, does anyone look at the Comichron monthly sales figures to help them anticipate which books might actually be valuable in the future?

I am going to experiment with it and see how it plays out. I'd look at the really low sales and distribution figure books. They already have built in scarcity. So, if any of them becomes a "hit," those initial books will become valuable due to supply and demand. And, unlike some of these high volume books that are being horded by collectors and fans, there won't be a huge untapped flood of them hitting the market when prices start going up.

For example, take the June sales figures. http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-06.html

Look for number 1's or new series/characters.

That La Muerta Descent book (which was a kickstarter project) only sold 3,635 copies.

http://ladydeathuniverse.com/la-muerta-1-descent-is-coming-to-comic-shops-in-june/

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR161491

The Kickstarter had 790 backers.

Not sure what the print run on that was, but it's unlikely that it was much higher than the sales figures. Maybe 5-10k?

That book looks pretty fricking cool, and seems to have a lot of the characteristics of what people are interested in. So, to me, that looks like a solid investment at cover price.

And, sure enough, some of the variants are going for premium prices on eBay.

The "standard" editions are not yet going up in price (by much) yet. But, I think that it's only a matter of time.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@Scipio2000 I wouldn't be surprised if some have used comichron for such purposes but because a book is scarce, relatively speaking, does not mean it will become valuable based on that alone. What you will want to look for, and again this is not guaranteeing success. Are books that pique the interest of the market which, unfortunately, can be after initial orders are already are made and just before to shortly after the book's release. Comichron numbers usually do not show up until after any initial demand for the book has come (and possibly gone)(Aren't they usually at least a month "behind" in reporting monthly totals?)

When it comes to speculating moderns I have pretty much given up on that as you can never predict what is going to be or become hot with any sort of consistency.

(Finally, watch out for the print run cop(s). If you use Chomichron numbers "illegally" they may get you )
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
@Oxbladder - Oh, I agree. But, in some of the shops I go to, they have the last couple of months of back issues also available. If you can pick a really low print run book up for cover price, and it has attributes that you think make it attractive to the market, it's worth taking a flyer on.

The worst that happens is that you pay cover price for a comic that you find interesting, and it doesn't appreciate in value.

Or, you could strike gold and you just bought another TMNT #1.

I invested in the Penny Dreadful comics on spec because of their low print runs. I think those books go up. Could b wrong! But, who knows? It was worth taking a flyer on them, IMHO.
Post 103 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone have a Marvel Milestones Avengers 4 or Incredible Hulk 181 they'd care to part with? Moreso the latter since the former is more readily available at a good price. I'm trying to create sets with the original, the Marvel Milestone, and the Wizard Ace editions

Post 104 IP   flag post
@Scipio2000 if your careful, and it sounds like you are taking a careful and logical approach, you could have some success. For me I have had way more luck not trying to figure out some scheme and just buying what sounds interesting or focusing on a specific theme, such as collecting all female hero and villain first appearances in the Marvel U. By just buying and collecting this way I have "lucked" into some hot books (quite a few of which are holding or continuing to increase in value). I have found this incredibly more satisfying than trying to play speculator.
Post 105 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I'm currently on the lookout for an Avengers #1 0.5 or lower. I don't mind coverless or incomplete (as long as story and art aren't affected).

I'm not all-in into getting this right this second so I'm a bit conservative, budget-wise
Post 106 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

share this post with your friends! http://blog.kaptainmyke.com/?p=785
Post 107 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Dark Knight Returns first printings is the high ticket item currently
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user

Marvel Spotlight 5, 9.2 or higher

Ghost Rider 1, VF to NM

Post 109 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Transformers Spotlight: Prowl (retailer incentive)
Post 110 IP   flag post
Falling in Love #8 and 19
Vampire Tales #4-11 and the Annual
Savage Tales v.1 #1

All in at least a solid VG.
Post 111 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user

In NM or better.
Post 112 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
I like how they spelled Spider-Man wrong on the cover LOL.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@CCD I know. LOL. The funny thing is, on the cover of the next issue they spell it correctly.
Post 114 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I bet someone got an earful from Stan Lee about why it's spelled Spider-Man.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user

Post 116 IP   flag post
not an expensive book but difficult to track down
Post 117 IP   flag post
Collector Owen_Lorder private msg quote post Address this user
Early TMNT adventures/Archie 5th prints
Post 118 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I'd love to get a New 52 Batman #1 to finish the top 10
Post 119 IP   flag post
Collector Huffmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Detective 348
Flash 189
Strange Adventures 180
House of Mystery 143
Showcase 55
Doom Patrol 99 Vol. 1

These would make me happy!

I know there are plenty to choose from on the interwebs, but I just haven't been able to match the grade and price situation. You know, "The One". A grade I can live with for a price I'm willing to pay. Something mid to lower grade with a nice appearance. I know, I know...I'm a tightwad...unreasonable expectations..out of print for 50 years...you're a douche...blah, blah, blah. But at least I'm nice about it and not "that guy" at the comic shop. And I'll always have that thrill of the hunt going for me.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffmaster
I know there are plenty to choose from on the interwebs, but I just haven't been able to match the grade and price situation. You know, "The One". A grade I can live with for a price I'm willing to pay.

I feel you, brother.
I have the same issue all the time.
It's a constant struggle to let go of just a few dollars for that one book that looks really great.
Somebody else always wants it more than me.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder

ebay seller : thecooleststuff not sure if its the fifth prints or not but it came up while I was hunting
Post 122 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder

http://miragelicensing.com/paypal/archie.html

Buy from Peter directly.
Post 123 IP   flag post

Oh my god oh yes i am so satisfied right now

i need a cigarette and i don't even smoke
Post 124 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Oh my god oh yes i am so satisfied right now

i need a cigarette and i don't even smoke

I miss cigarettes every day. Congratulations on your score.
Post 125 IP   flag post
I quit cigarettes cold in 2007, the day my son was born.
Post 126 IP   flag post
That's always a great reason. I quit a few months after getting off active duty in 2014.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quit smoking a little over a year ago. I still get cravings sometime.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I miss cigarettes every day.

I have "quit" smoking several times over the years.
The last time was April 2015. I also miss them every day.
I consider myself to be in recovery from my tobacco addiction, much like alcoholism.
It's not something that just goes away, it's with you for the rest of your life.

@kaptainmyke
Congrats on your big score.
Now here's a towel, go clean yourself up.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
Tuesday, August 20th, 2013. I had a stroke at work. No cigarettes or alcohol since that day.
Post 130 IP   flag post
601215 228 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?