Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Has Grading Gotten More Strict?834

Collector Jcorlin87 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Everyone,

I just got my first order back from CBCS. The grades were not close to what I thought they would be. Has grading gotten more strict over time? I was talking to a local dealer and he said grading has become not as strict, but I disagree.

ASM #2 Graded 5.5, thought 7.0
GSX #1 Graded 8.5, thought 9.0
Avengers #196 Graded 9.2, thought 9.6

I still have a lot to learn on grading it seems

Thanks!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
One of the great things about CBCS is you have instant access to the graders notes by scanning the QR code or entering the serial number on the website. You can see what they caught that you may have missed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes and no. Yes. I feel CBCS is way stricter and that is a good thing. I k ow if they send me a 9.2 it would have been a 9.4 or higher at cgc. I respect cbcs grades, but they are stricter. I have GA cgc that is a 9.4 and it is missing a little piece in one corner. Would have been a 9.0 if sent to cbcs. So if you want stricter more accurate grading use cbcs. IMHO
Post 3 IP   flag post
I want more accurate grading as well. I did check out the graders notes. The toughest thing is determining how much something will affect a grade.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I think it depends on the time frame your talking. But my short answer would be yes. I also think more strict would be better changed to more accurate.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
I also think more strict would be better changed to more accurate.

+1
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcorlin87
Hey Everyone,

I just got my first order back from CBCS. The grades were not close to what I thought they would be. Has grading gotten more strict over time? I was talking to a local dealer and he said grading has become not as strict, but I disagree.

Thanks!!

Don't worry, this is usually the first lesson learned when it comes to grading
Post 7 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Thanks!! Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have these books in my collection, just thought they were nicer
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Use these as a lesson or references. It's the best way to learn to grade to a company's standards.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
I also think more strict would be better changed to more accurate.

+1

+ another 1
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Use these as a lesson or references. It's the best way to learn to grade to a company's standards.

Very true. This is very useful in the mid grade areas. You'll see not all 6.0-8.0's look alike.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Can you show pics/scans of these books prior to encapsulation?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Can you show pics/scans of these books prior to encapsulation?

I can't I bought them at my local con and submitted them right there
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

Very true. This is very useful in the mid grade areas. You'll see not all 6.0-8.0's look alike.

Thank you for the advice
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

Thanks!!

Another question: Did the dealer you purchased these books from also have the 7.0, 9.0, 9.6 grades stickered on the bags? Just curious.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

Thanks!!

Another question: Did the dealer you purchased these books from also have the 7.0, 9.0, 9.6 grades stickered on the bags? Just curious.

No he did not. the GSX it actually better than what he though. I have bought from the dealer before and he has been spot on with his evaluations, so I trust him. the Avengers looks gorgeous
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
I can tell if a comic is a 9.6 or up usually, after that i might as well flip a coin
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I have more trouble in the nicer mid grade range....say between 6.0 up to 8.0. I can usually tell if a book is in that range, but have a hard time pinpointing the actual grade a book will come back with.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
I have more trouble in the nicer mid grade range....say between 6.0 up to 8.0. I can usually tell if a book is in that range, but have a hard time pinpointing the actual grade a book will come back with.

6.0 - 8.0 can be a tricky range to deal with.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen it go both ways with me. Some books come up higher and some lower. Mostly in the mid-grade area. Once you get around FINE 6.0, the water gets murky.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I have a STRANGE TALE ANNUAL #2 in beautiful condition. I had it pressed and the presser gave it a 8.5 while I gave it a 9.0 but CBCS gave it a 7.0! I cried, sent it back to be reevaluated only to told it's a 7.0. While I'm not a grader I still say it's under graded.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Rafel was there interior page damage that would lend to the book appearing nicer from just looking at the covers?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rafel was there interior page damage that would lend to the book appearing nicer from just looking at the covers?

None that I saw. Even the graders notes were: Notes:
1.5" scrape left bottom back cover barely breaks color 2.25" & 1" corner creases left top back cover part barely breaks color tiny spine edge wear breaks color
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Rafel What was the page color quality?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:

None that I saw. Even the graders notes were: Notes:
1.5" scrape left bottom back cover barely breaks color 2.25" & 1" corner creases left top back cover part barely breaks color tiny spine edge wear breaks color

Three different notations for defects of 1", 1.5", and 2.25"
In high grade comic book terms that's like 4.75 miles. After reading their notes, 7.0 doesn't sound surprising. But then I haven't seen the book.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rafel What was the page color quality?

Pages are white and the book has been in storage for 37 years. Cover colors are soooo bright you need sun glasses.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm thinking what's at play is the combo of the defects being large (in comic grading terms) like @MR_SigS pointed out, and that each of the defects break color. It's tough to say if I'd agree with it without seeing photos. Every book that goes through CBCS however is looked at by at least 2 graders and a finalizer, so no less than 3 people have come to a concensus on the grade before it's encapsulated.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
No it hasn't gotten more strict. It was far more strict before the 10 point scale.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Corner creases are bad news for an otherwise nice looking copy. I found this out on a book that looks 9.4ish at least from the front cover and overall look of the book, but has a 3/4 inch crease at the upper left corner on the back cover from probably being barely dog-eared at some point. It's so subtle and flat you have to hold a flashlight at a sharp angle to detect it but it's there. No chance for a 9.4 with that, but how about an 8.5.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
My first batches of books were eye-openers, as with many others. Grading consistently is hard, that is why they have a hard time finding enough graders.

But use the pro-screen in future for those times when you miss something.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600891 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?