CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Has Grading Gotten More Strict?834

Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@Rafel What was the page color quality?

Pages are white and the book has been in storage for 37 years. Cover colors are soooo bright you need sun glasses.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm thinking what's at play is the combo of the defects being large (in comic grading terms) like @MR_SigS pointed out, and that each of the defects break color. It's tough to say if I'd agree with it without seeing photos. Every book that goes through CBCS however is looked at by at least 2 graders and a finalizer, so no less than 3 people have come to a concensus on the grade before it's encapsulated.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
No it hasn't gotten more strict. It was far more strict before the 10 point scale.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Corner creases are bad news for an otherwise nice looking copy. I found this out on a book that looks 9.4ish at least from the front cover and overall look of the book, but has a 3/4 inch crease at the upper left corner on the back cover from probably being barely dog-eared at some point. It's so subtle and flat you have to hold a flashlight at a sharp angle to detect it but it's there. No chance for a 9.4 with that, but how about an 8.5.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
My first batches of books were eye-openers, as with many others. Grading consistently is hard, that is why they have a hard time finding enough graders.

But use the pro-screen in future for those times when you miss something.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was strict when I first started having books graded, but, like some of the others have mentioned, the grader notes really helped me to identify and understand certain flaws and defects before I submit. I'm usually fairly accurate in determining 7.0 and up. Below that is kind of a crapshoot for me. It's definitely helped me out when buying big books. Studying grader notes, then going back over my slabbed books has helped when I buy my higher-cost raw books.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
I have a STRANGE TALE ANNUAL #2 in beautiful condition. I had it pressed and the presser gave it a 8.5 while I gave it a 9.0 but CBCS gave it a 7.0! I cried, sent it back to be reevaluated only to told it's a 7.0. While I'm not a grader I still say it's under graded.
Who told you it was a 9.0? Those defects fall right into the range that CBCS graded the book?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Grading strict vs. loose with CGC/CBCS is usually a +1/2 or - 1/2. So I have had books I thought would be 9.0 get 9.4, and others 8.5. I have had "shoe in" 9.8s get 9.6s for no apparent reason. Grading fluctuates very little, last year I received about 160-180 9.8s from CGC, this year they are a little more harsh. My submission with CBCS last year was tight, this year I don't know.

But if you are seeing a 9.6 and it gets a 9.2. It is not the grading company, it is the submitter. You missed something. What are the notes on the Avengers 196.
Post 33 IP   flag post
600891 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?