Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

Batman The Killing Joke825

Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Some fireworks today at SDCC

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-killing-joke-movie-is-a-disaster-right-down-to-its-1784176711
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Please let that story not be true. I was concerned when I heard they were adding material, but this sounds horrendous.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, Age of Ultron was a train wreck of plot holes and it got rave reviews, but let Batman and Batgirl have a post crime fighting fling and everyone looses their minds.

Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Meh. It's make believe, and it garners attention. That is what every writer, producer, artist, and company wants.

Make her lesbian. Make her a nympho. Make her paralyzed. Make her Pakistani. Make her anything different from what she has always been.

Sex sells best.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Meh. It's make believe, and it garners attention. That is what every writer, producer, artist, and company wants.

Make her lesbian. Make her a nympho. Make her paralyzed. Make her Pakistani. Make her anything different from what she has always been.

Sex sells best.

One issue I have with is that Bruce Wayne/Batman has trained for many years and hone his skills to be razor keen.
Part of that skill-set is a separation of emotion from the task.
He is the Batman, and as such cannot allow himself the luxury of emotional attachment (or at least the appearance of it.)
He knows who Batgirl is, and would keep that foremost in his thoughts when dealing with her. She is, after all, his best friend's daughter, and he would keep a cool head and be far more reserved in his reactions to her.

I am not a regular reader of the bat stories (or DC in general) but I do know some of the history.
Anyone who has more experience with Batman please feel free to further this discussion, and/or correct anything I might be mistaken about.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:

Sex sells best.

One issue I have with is that Bruce Wayne/Batman has trained for many years and hone his skills to be razor keen.
Part of that skill-set is a separation of emotion from the task.
He is the Batman, and as such cannot allow himself the luxury of emotional attachment (or at least the appearance of it.)
He knows who Batgirl is, and would keep that foremost in his thoughts when dealing with her. She is, after all, his best friend's daughter, and he would keep a cool head and be far more reserved in his reactions to her.

I am not a regular reader of the bat stories (or DC in general) but I do know some of the history.
Anyone who has more experience with Batman please feel free to further this discussion, and/or correct anything I might be mistaken about.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I guess it really comes down to what boardie conditionfreak said above, "sex sells best." I am just surprised Bruce Timm would have let it go in this direction.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm reserving judgment until I actually watch it. I'm sure DC will keep Batman true to his character.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Well all I have to say it has Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill what else can be said on this?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Sex sells best.

This was actually in the comic Batman Beyond 2.0.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/12/exactly-what-happened-between-bruce-wayne-and-barbara-gordon-that-so-estranged-dick-grayson-on-batman-beyond-spoilers/
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
I saw the Killing Joke teaser trailer and it looked outrageously bad...
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to see this tonight, I'm actually pretty excited to watch it
Post 11 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics let us know what you think.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac
@JLS_Comics let us know what you think.

Absolutely!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Well, I have to say that I enjoyed the film. I went with a group of friends and the theater was filled with other who were excited. Between the clapping, the aroma of buttered popcorn and cheesy nacho platters and the overall positivity of the milieu, you can't help but get excited and enjoy the moment.

Mark Hammill's voice acting as the Joker was phenomenal, as it usually is. There was a Broadway-esque musical number (it's in the book) that he really nailed. The featurette that accompanied the film showed him acting out this part and it was great. Seeing the Joker's voice come out of Luke Skywalker was a strange wonderful moment.

The film itself stayed relatively true to the source. It took quite a few liberties towards the beginning of the film but the second act was true. The pacing was ok. Some have complained that there wasn't enough action but I have to disagree on that point. While there wasn't a lot, there was just enough. Any more and it might have taken away from the movie and become less about the psychological and more about violence for the sake of violence.

The controversial moments from Moore's work was hit on exactly as I would have hope. Things were suggested, strongly suggested, but it was not distasteful in its approach.

How did it end? I'm not a spoiler person but I will say it was jarring and abrupt. It left me wanting more and it left me with questions and I think that is exactly how it was designed.

I liked Hammill, of course, but the other standout is Tara Strong. Her Batgirl was great. Strong, confident (seemingly) girl but still trying to find herself in her new world.

I would give this movie a CBCS grade of 8.5 White Pages.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics Thanks for the review. I keep hearing all the controversy about the Batgirl part. Did that stuff seem okay to you?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
@JLS_Comics Thanks for the review. I keep hearing all the controversy about the Batgirl part. Did that stuff seem okay to you?

It was ok for me. I mean, the subject matter is one that is rather difficult to approach and I feel strongly that an animated film was best - nay - the only way to approach such a subject.

I believe most of the controversy comes from those who have not read the original story and did not know what to expect. That said, nothing was shown per se but it was most definitely pointing you in that direction as to what happened off-camera.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

It was ok for me. I mean, the subject matter is one that is rather difficult to approach and I feel strongly that an animated film was best - nay - the only way to approach such a subject.

I believe most of the controversy comes from those who have not read the original story and did not know what to expect. That said, nothing was shown per se but it was most definitely pointing you in that direction as to what happened off-camera.

Thanks. I look forward to seeing it soon. I appreciate the review.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No prob :-) Now, there was another scene that you may or may not have read about that doesn't really happen in the OGN but I interpreted it more to be about Batgirl's strong desire to be accepted and wanted in her world of strong men. That's all I want to say about it, to say more would spoil it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No prob :-) Now, there was another scene that you may or may not have read about that doesn't really happen in the OGN but I interpreted it more to be about Batgirl's strong desire to be accepted and wanted in her world of strong men. That's all I want to say about it, to say more would spoil it.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Saw it last night and I liked it. Not as much as The Dark Knight Returns but it is up in my top 5.

I did like the whole thing they did with Batgirl at the beginning. My girlfriend with me was like "been there, done that". She connected with Batgirl on what she was going thru. I guess they nailed that part.

But the movie as a whole, felt like two movies. I know, being only one issue, they didn't have a lot of material to work with, but I felt they could have added more to the story thru the story instead of having a different plot at the beginning. It felt like one of those Pixar shorts before the main feature. Enjoyable but you want to get to the real meat of the story.

As to the "real" story. Spot on. The Joker was terrifying and it followed the book pretty close. Mark Hamill did a great job. Definitely not for the kiddies.

Spoiler side note:

For everyone thinking something more happened that was not shown, I don't think it did. If so, the Joker would have used it to push Gorden over the edge even more.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Did anybody notice that the animation was not very smooth, compared to the most recent DC Animated movies?
It felt like "dated" animation, not as smoothly-animated as Dark Knight Returns and other later DC movies.

I had a 1080p copy, if that helps answer the question.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie
Did anybody notice that the animation was not very smooth, compared to the most recent DC Animated movies?
It felt like "dated" animation, not as smoothly-animated as Dark Knight Returns and other later DC movies.

I kinda agree I saw it on the big screen and it felt like they just blew up a episode of Batman TAS
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
@bennyb86 Right? Glad it wasn't only me.
I noticed it a lot during the fight scenes, as well as when Babs was jogging. Very dated. Felt cheap, reduced the experience a bit.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector cjbehr948 private msg quote post Address this user
Went last night. Most of the movie worked; some disconnect between what could be considered the film's prologue & the Joker's attack on Barbara, but still very enjoyable. Only other gripe, if you want to call it that, is the style of animation used. Would have preferred the animation style of TAS & Batman Beyond, but it's just a matter of personal preference.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector captnwilli private msg quote post Address this user
I also saw it last night (full theater). I agree about the animation quality/type chosen for use for this great story. I would have preferred an "animation upgrade" if you will. As for the Batman/Batgirl situation, I'm with a lot of you who do hold Batman to a much higher standard physically, mentally, and yes, even emotionally. While I noticed that the younger crowd cheered as to say "way to get some Bats" (have to admit they made me crack a smile) I felt in a weird way, disappointed in him.
(See what happens when you turn 50!!!) It was actually my birthday yesterday.
For crying out loud, he's The Batman! What the hell was he thinking.
His best friends daughter. His protege. A young colleague taken under his wing.
I don't know, maybe it will make him more relatable to the average man.
To me it just seemed a bit creepy.
Overall I throughly enjoyed the film.
Sorry if I came across a bit "Ranty".
Post 25 IP   flag post
A great man once said "a hard p***s has no conscience".
I guess even for Batman.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Wait a minute, I could be mistaken. It might have just been a horny man who said that.
Post 27 IP   flag post
598061 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?