Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Micro Chamber Paper and PETG797

Collector sterlingcomics private msg quote post Address this user
The CBCS youtube video posed an interesting comment I'd like clarification on. What's controversial about micro chamber paper?

As a follow up aren't other companies using archival plastic in their products and if so what's the difference between PETG and what they are using?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Microchamber paper is contraversial because it can only absorb a certain amount of acids from the surrounding environment and people disagree on what comes after. I believe it's supposed to become inert and thus not affect the book around it but some people think it damages the book in one of several different ways.

There's also the fact that CGC uses it and as it does have a maximum absorption, recommend reslabbing their graded books (i.e. pay them more money) every seven years when the microchamber paler has reached its maximum absorption. That figure has been ruled ver conservative, however.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
PETG good, Micro paper bad.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Microchamber paper is contraversial because it can only absorb a certain amount of acids from the surrounding environment and people disagree on what comes after. I believe it's supposed to become inert and thus not affect the book around it but some people think it damages the book in one of several different ways.

There's also the fact that CGC uses it and as it does have a maximum absorption, recommend reslabbing their graded books (i.e. pay them more money) every seven years when the microchamber paler has reached its maximum absorption. That figure has been ruled ver conservative, however.

I'm familiar with the characteristics of micro chamber paper and the recommended "swap times" for books that have it installed. I simply think based on what I know (which you just confirmed) that it's HARDLY controversial...it's simply a matter of "it is what it is".

The comment above about PETG good is nice and all, but how does that compare to other products? I thought they were pretty darn close, and it least archival based products.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The contraversy comes from whether or not keeping it in the book beyond the swap date actually damages the book. From my understanding it shouldn't but there's been anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Then there is the question of whether it's actually necessary for preserving the book or not and if CGC's use of it is financially motivated.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I have been using micro-chamber paper for about eight years now. I use it for OA as well as animation art. Using the MC paper has helped get rid of odors, including cigarette smoke as well as moldy muskiness. I have always been told that as long as the MC paper is at least the same size as the item I am using it with, the MC will not have to be replaced.

I am curious, does CBSC's PETG have to be changed out?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
PETG is another type of polyester film. Like Mylar or Barex there will be different types some which are not in the category of for archival use while others can be. It will depend on the specifications. Being another archival level polyester film with pretty much the same characteristics as the Mylar brand the PETG used by CBCS should outlive the collector.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@Oxbladder ah thank you for the info. This is yet another reason to send my other slabs to CBCS for re-grade & re-slabbing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS put a lot of research into the plastics they use and did a lot of R&D back and forth with their supplier to ensure they have the best material for protecting our books.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
CBCS put a lot of research into the plastics they use and did a lot of R&D back and forth with their supplier to ensure they have the best material for protecting our books.

There are a number of options out there for polyester film. While find the proper type isn't all that hard getting the right thickness and finding a supplier would take a bit more work.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Is it being said that gases from the book can't escape from the CGC holder but CAN with CBCS case design? That would lend the need to want to replace micro chamber paper otherwise the book may "stew on it's own gases".

From what was presented it seems PETG is an equivalent of what CGC is using....
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
PETG is better, breathing good, not breathing die.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597874 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?