Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSP

Yes or No on VSP - Help a Newb794

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I have been very fortunate to have had interactions with a comic artist for the last 10 years. I have purchased art directly from him several times and each piece has come with his personalized COA. I have decided to have a few of his books graded but I'm going back and forth on whether or not to have the SVP I have his thumbprint on the COA for goodness sake. I know it's real. I don't know if I should just pay the fee so it says its real on the slab. Anybody have any opinion on this? I would appreciate any insight you may have.

Thanks Guys.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I have tons of signatures that I got myself so I have no question as to their authenticity. That said, if I get a book graded, I will always prefer to have the individual's name reflected on the label instead of just "Name written on cover."
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
This is my first and only (so far) Red label. The book is from April 1975. When I had Stan sign it, I did not do grading yet. I wanted to grade it, but at that time it was not in my budget. Three years later, here it is.

Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If you slab them definitely pay the extra fee for signature verification, because an unverified signature is just treated as writing on the book and will effect the grades.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yeah, if you can have it witnessed, do it!
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS also has an original art slab without a grad, but yellow label. You can get these by having that artist him/herself submit them to CBCS on your behalf. This way CBCS can verify the art because they received it from the actual artist.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I believe you can also get a graded yellow label by having the artist send it too.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
I think if you never intend to sell it, then there's really no point in getting the vsp, or even graded. If you intend to sell it, get the vsp.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
I think if you never intend to sell it, then there's really no point in getting the vsp, or even graded. If you intend to sell it, get the vsp.

Ya, this is the most sage advice. If the intent is to sell then grade and VSP is the best way to go. If you are keeping the book(s) then there is absolutely no reason to VSP
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@mattness I'm going to disagree with what a couple of people have said.

You've already mentioned that you've decided to grade them for whatever reason they are your own. If you're set on grading them, I suggest going for the VSP. Sure you may not be planning to sell them now but the situation in which you may need to sell something is rarely expected. If you're going to get them graded get them graded and VSP since waiting until you need to sell them means you'll have to wait for the book to be graded when you may need to sell quickly and it'll be one more expense at a time when you probably need to spend less.

If you get them graded without VSP then the signatures will hurt the grade and if the need comes to sell them then you'll either have to take a lower offer due to the lower grade, or send them in to be regraded with VSP, at which point you're paying twice to grade the same book.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Good points
Post 11 IP   flag post
I would also say, that grading and verifying are good things for keeper books because if you have no intention of selling, one day your heirs are going to have this book in their hands and will have to decide what to do with it. Having it graded and/or verified makes things easier on them when dealing with the collection you left behind.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@Mathyus_42, all of these are great points Matt. In the end, if you decide you want them graded and slabbed, then it makes sense to spend the few extra dollars to also add the VSP. As Darth mentioned, if for no other reason than your heirs may one day have decisions to make.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@mattness, Matt, my previous post was meant for you. Sorry@Mathyus_42!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
@Mathyus_42, all of these are great points Matt. In the end, if you decide you want them graded and slabbed, then it makes sense to spend the few extra dollars to also add the VSP. As Darth mentioned, if for no other reason than your heirs may one day have decisions to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
@mattness, Matt, my previous post was meant for you. Sorry@Mathyus_42!!!

LOL, no worries
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Preferring ASP over VSP is a matter of technicality. VSP is most helpful especially if you've acquired signatures of artists who either don't sign too often, or have passed away.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@mattness I'm also good friends with a [former] comic artist and have hundreds of comics and art with his sig. I for one am not slabbing any of them as I see there being no need.
Many of them do not include his art on the cover, and slabbing them will rob me of his work (and sigs, they're on the splash page of most).
They are the books that I am begging my heirs to keep intact. All my other comics from AF15 to NM98 are subject to sale, but the books and art from my friend mean something to me. I pray my family will honor this.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector akionabr private msg quote post Address this user
I VSP books I want to keep to protect the book in encapsulation and give it a nice red label. I like to have it official.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I would also say, that grading and verifying are good things for keeper books because if you have no intention of selling, one day your heirs are going to have this book in their hands and will have to decide what to do with it. Having it graded and/or verified makes things easier on them when dealing with the collection you left behind.

+1
Post 19 IP   flag post
Cool, it seems everyone has close to the same answer. The book would be just for me, pure pleasure, pure nostalgia. I never thought about the poor bastards that are going to be left with my "collections" Great advice everyone. Thank you I greatly appreciate it!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
Cool, it seems everyone has close to the same answer. The book would be just for me, pure pleasure, pure nostalgia. I never thought about the poor bastards that are going to be left with my "collections" Great advice everyone. Thank you I greatly appreciate it!

I actually keep a notebook with my collection. It explains what the books are worth and how to go about selling, donating, burning, or otherwise disposing of the books so my heirs won't get ripped off.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Burning?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Burning?

Hey, what they do with them after I am gone is up to them.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:
Burning?

Hey, what they do with them after I am gone is up to them.

Oh, the way you said made it sound like you had a specific list...burn these!
Post 24 IP   flag post
I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's input on verifying signatures, even though you know there real. My first three books are off to CBCS. Thanks!
Post 25 IP   flag post
597904 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?