Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkComics Modern AgeMemorabiliaSignatures

Show off your Michael Turner792

Collector zab47 private msg quote post Address this user
alright I just bought a short box of comics at a silent auction and I put these fathom comics on the side thinking that they were sexy but never thought much of them until I joined on here wow now I have a great selection and the box only cost me 11 bucks am I lucky now I need to go see which 1's I have. do I keep for the future or sell any suggestions
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Unless it's a particular valuable variant, I don't think many Fathom comics are worth a significant amount, though at $11 for the box, you'll still bring in a profit. Really it boils down to if you like the books enough to keep or do you prefer to make a few bucks selling them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector zab47 private msg quote post Address this user
I like the covers
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Fathom is a fantastic sci-fi story. Once Hollywood finally gets this thing going the books will take off in value. It's been in development hell for a few years now.

The variant covers have held some good value because of their rarity. Because of the regular issues being cheap it's a good time to fill any gaps in your collection.
Post 29 IP   flag post

Post 30 IP   flag post

I think Fathom has still flown under the radar mostly because of the covers. When your main character is a hot marine biologist scantily clad covers kinda come with the territory. It's definitely worth reading the story behind the covers though.
Post 31 IP   flag post

Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Bloodlikefire private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I think Fathom has still flown under the radar mostly because of the covers. When your main character is a hot marine biologist scantily clad covers kinda come with the territory. It's definitely worth reading the story behind the covers though.

I will admit that the Scantily clad women brought me in when the books first came out, Hell I was 16. But I fell in love with the character of Aspen Matthews. At that time in my life I thought I was going to be a marine biologist and I saw a strong, powerful, smart women who was in my chosen career field. That start has led to a lifelong love of the character.

Still hoping for a movie, even an animated feature would be good enough for me. The Batman/Superman animated movie where they introduced Turner's Supergirl was great. That's all I'm asking for!!!
Post 33 IP   flag post

Post 34 IP   flag post
Turner's version of Sara Pezzini was always the best!
Post 35 IP   flag post

Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Nc49er private msg quote post Address this user
Its ok to post a cgc book? cant remember if its allowed or not.
thanks
Post 37 IP   flag post
@Nc49er it's allowed
Post 38 IP   flag post
Thanks.
Ill post a few of my Turner books when I get home. Thank you for the quick answer
Post 39 IP   flag post
This has been on my convention bag for 8 years
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
This has been on my convention bag for 8 years

Wow very cool !!
He is one of my favs of all time.
Gone too soon!!!
God Bless
Post 41 IP   flag post
got this today. Strangely, the spine says "vol. 1" so either morw turner is to come or there may be other books in the swries focusing on other artists.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite thats awesome what you got. Man i want to get this but it ridiculous how much they want from Con to the online store it like i paying for double shipping of sorts. Shame though
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Absolute_Zero Jeeze! I hadn't seen that! a 50% markup to buy online plus shipping :/ That's crazy!
Post 44 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have photos readily available to post but his Supergirl covers are some of my favorites in my collection. I also really like the Soulfire stuff and the amazing "The Supergirl from Krypton" story arc
Post 45 IP   flag post
I'll post my B/S#8 later if nobody beats me to it.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
why is michael turner suddenly so hot? i've got all his old 90s top cow stuff but its worthless and always has been right?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
why is michael turner suddenly so hot? i've got all his old 90s top cow stuff but its worthless and always has been right?

He's always been admired for his work amongst fans. In fact, he was working steadily for Marvel and DC and his own titles up until he passed away in 2008.

Recently, he has been in the news a lot because Aspen Comics released some variant covers in collaboration with DC Comics for the Rebirth campaign such as Batman vol.3 #1 which used some work of Turners previously only found in old convention sketchbooks. That variant was released just about 1 week prior to the 8 year anniversary of Michael's death.

Now that Aspen Comics (named after Aspen Matthews from Fathom that you may remember from your '90s books)is doing a series of these DC/Aspen variants, they have been in news and forums and stuff quite a bit lately
Post 48 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Wait - Michael Turned DIED?

I'm keeping all my shit.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Wait - Michael Turned DIED?

I'm keeping all my shit.

Yes he passed away in 2008 after a battle with bone cancer
Post 50 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I wouldn't say surdenly. He was certainly popular in his own time; Witchblade was big enough to spawn a tv show and an anime series. His work on Marvel and DC titles like Civil War and Supergirl were certainly admired.

I'd say the reason a lot of his early stuff isn't worth much is because, despite the art, the properties he worked on still didn't have the awareness of say Superman or Spider-Man. The same way J. Scott Campbell really broke out after his work on ASM despite doing great work on titles like Danger Girl prior to that.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke But Mykey, I want all your things!
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@kaptainmyke I wouldn't say surdenly. He was certainly popular in his own time; Witchblade was big enough to spawn a tv show and an anime series. His work on Marvel and DC titles like Civil War and Supergirl were certainly admired.

I'd say the reason a lot of his early stuff isn't worth much is because, despite the art, the properties he worked on still didn't have the awareness of say Superman or Spider-Man. The same way J. Scott Campbell really broke out after his work on ASM despite doing great work on titles like Danger Girl prior to that.

Thats a good comparison. Except for some rare variants Danger Girl and Gen 13 books really arent worth that much these days
Post 53 IP   flag post
To support my second point, I just got Michael Turner's first fully drawn issues today. Great for fans of his art but who even remembers Ballistic? And the few that do probably lump it all into the pile of indistinguishable books Image was pumping out in the mid-90's

Post 54 IP   flag post
That Witchblade TV show was a joke. I'm still waiting for someone to pick up Witchblade and give it the movie or TV show it deserves. The anime series was ok, but not a big fan of that particular art style, and it wasn't the original Sara Pezzini story.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600893 119 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?