Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

2nd Submission graded wrong by CBCS?787

Collector ERIC0523 private msg quote post Address this user
I just received my second submission back today from CBCS.
In my submission was 9 total issues of Howard the Duck #1.
6 of the issues were a 2nd printing, while 3 of the issues
were a 1st printing. All 9 copies I sent in came back graded as a 2nd Printing? How does this happen? It is really hard for me to understand how a professional grading service can allow this to happen. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I called and they asked me to send them to books back so they could fix it. They said they would refund the cost of the shipping for me to send them back so they can fix their mistake. As I appreciate the fact that they are willing to fix the issue, I just don't know if I really want to continue to have my comics graded through this service provider any longer? How would you all feel about this? Am I over reacting? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector grriii private msg quote post Address this user
This stuff happens. I have had books returned to me from the other guys that had a wrong label altogether - not even the right book!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jbarnes020889 private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I don't accept the excuse "mistakes happen." I work for a big micro electronics company, we just had a product go out with bugs.

If we told our customers "mistakes happen" they'd take their business elsewhere. It's unprofessional and unacceptable.

Bottom line - I'd be pissed. They should probably be going out of their way for being such idiots.
Post 3 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes020889
Personally I don't accept the excuse "mistakes happen." I work for a big micro electronics company, we just had a product go out with bugs.

If we told our customers "mistakes happen" they'd take their business elsewhere. It's unprofessional and unacceptable.

Bottom line - I'd be pissed. They should probably be going out of their way for being such idiots.

and we all shit gold too, right?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: quality control has no control over quality.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@jbarnes020889 What would your company's response be? I work at a video game studio and deal with bugs all the time. Our response would likely be something like "Sorry we made a mistake. We'll look into it and work to get a fix out ASAP," which sounds an awful lot like "Sorry we made a mistake. Send them back so we can fix our mistake and we'll refund you the shipping expense."
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC0523
I just received my second submission back today from CBCS.
In my submission was 9 total issues of Howard the Duck #1.
6 of the issues were a 2nd printing, while 3 of the issues
were a 1st printing. All 9 copies I sent in came back graded as a 2nd Printing? How does this happen? It is really hard for me to understand how a professional grading service can allow this to happen. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I called and they asked me to send them to books back so they could fix it. They said they would refund the cost of the shipping for me to send them back so they can fix their mistake. As I appreciate the fact that they are willing to fix the issue, I just don't know if I really want to continue to have my comics graded through this service provider any longer? How would you all feel about this? Am I over reacting? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

I have subbed quite a few books to CBCS over the past 20+ months.

I have never had any issues with label errors, or anything else.

Your issue is a clerical error which will be corrected.Whenever either of the two most respected grading firms make sych errors, they both correct them quickly.

CBCS will correct the mistakes as quickly as possible, on their dime, as you noted.

That is part of the service that you are paying for.

The more important thing is that your books were impartially graded, certified and encapulated and that no mistakes were made in those critical areas.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
As much as we hate it, we live in reality where people are only human and mistakes will happen. It's how the company responds to and fixes mistakes that matter. CBCS is fixing their mistake, it's not like they told him to go pound sand.
Post 8 IP   flag post
If this is volume 2 HtD#1 after looking at the covers I can see why OP is quite frustrated. The 2nd print cover has "second printing" as part of the artwork.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm curious why they would "reimburse" the shipping back to them, why not issue a RA that you can just print out and put on the box?
That way there is no out of pocket expense to the customer that shouldn't have to be going through this in the first place.
That would be the professional thing to do.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
I'm curious why they would "reimburse" the shipping back to them, why not issue a RA that you can just print out and put on the box?
That way there is no out of pocket expense to the customer that shouldn't have to be going through this in the first place.

Seems to go along with many of the other things CBCS is behind on technology wise. You would think coupons in the shopping cart would be a simple matter too.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Even CGC only refunds shipping rather than issuing RA when they make a mistake At least no more physical coupons.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector ERIC0523 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Um, didn't you just say that you had a product go out with bugs?

As long as humans are part of a business mistakes will happen. Heck if you told me your company never made mistakes I would steer clear of it because I know that is a lie.

Admission of an error, issuing an apology and rectifying the error both for the customer and in the production system is exactly what is expected. Even standard systems like ISO acknowledge errors WILL happen and design their systems so that that error should only happen once.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

It can be easier for the customer but not every business will do this or even reimburse the cost of shipping or repairs unless under warrantee.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
It can be easier for the customer but not every business will do this or even reimburse the cost of shipping or repairs unless under warrantee.

Oh yeah, that's right, CBCS gives no warranty that the information on the label will be accurate.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@ERIC0523 I believe that being upset is only natural. I know that one of the jobs they were hiring for was QC so I think they realize that that department's employee(s) are overwhelmed. It is very easy to make very simple errors often when you have more work than you can get through comfortably in one day. This I say from experience.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Oh yeah, that's right, CBCS gives no warranty that the information on the label will be accurate.

But they do willingly fix error labels at their expense, as they should.
Post 18 IP   flag post
If my video card goes out, the company that issued the warranty gives me a RA that I can print out. Why can't others do the same?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

From my experience RAs are so much easier ... So much easier It is so time consuming for me to set up returns Pack the item, guess the weight, sometimes measure the box, call Purolator or whoever, write up the label, call to arrange pickup, .... Gah it sucks.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
If my video card goes out, the company that issued the warranty gives me a RA that I can print out. Why can't others do the same?

Probably use it as a ploy to avoid having to fix the problem. I would bet lots of people don't even bother to go ahead with returns that they have cover on the front end and then get credited back.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
As much as we hate it, we live in reality where people are only human and mistakes will happen. It's how the company responds to and fixes mistakes that matter. CBCS is fixing their mistake, it's not like they told him to go pound sand.

This sums it up nicely.

@jbarnes020889 I'd go have a cup of tea as us Brits do and relax
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Anything that involves humans is not perfect. The bottomline is despite our best efforts -- sh*t happens.

Sure, you have every right to be upset and to not use them ever again if you so choose. But what are you going to do when that happens at CGC -- leave them and go to PGX? And when it happens at PGX, what then?

Nobody has a time machine that allows us go back and fix our mistakes. They admitted theirs and are willing to fix it at no charge including the shipping both ways. What MORE can you honestly expect them to do?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector jbarnes020889 private msg quote post Address this user
Once everyone's wiped the crap off their nose...

Totally understandable that mistakes happen. It's not about the mistake, it's the effort you put into resolving it.

Simply put.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Brown-nosing has nothing to do with my initial response and everything to do with someone not accepting that mistakes can and do happen. Yeah you can be upset all you want, I get that, but to think that mistakes won't happen is setting the bar WAY too high.

I also am very familiar with how it may be in QC right now as I just got off a stint of over six months of trying to do the work of two people. I made lots of simple mistakes where I normally wouldn't before.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@jbarnes020889 What more can you reasonably expect them to do to fix their mistake? They've offered to fix it and to reimburse him for the shipping. We've established that it'd be nice if they could issue an RMA to cut out the need to issue the shipping reimbursement but it's not like their current solution is unacceptable by any means.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Once everyone's wiped the crap off their nose...

Totally understandable that mistakes happen. It's not about the mistake, it's the effort you put into resolving it.

Simply put.
Think I'll change my comment only room for one person trolling
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It's called infrastructure. The companies that sells video cards are billion dollar companies. They have the resources to set up RMAs and automate the system. CBCS is a small entity with limited resources. I'm not just talking about money. There's manpower involved in trying to set up an automated RMA process. The other consideration is that with the tens of thousands of video cards that get produced, the percentage of RMA's needed could be in the hundreds or thousands. It makes financial sense to take the cost and effort to build the RMA system. For CBCS, they may have under 50 in a year, probably even less than 20 in a year. It doesn't really seem worth spending the time and money when you can just reimburse someone for their inconvenience.

Now, I would say that maybe they should do a customer service coupon that offers a discount of some sort for the person's next purchase.
Post 28 IP   flag post
No one here has anything on their nose. That is a silly statement, many of us have been very critical of CBCS at appropriate times. This isn't one of those times, they offered to fix their mistakes. I'd like to also point out that the folks working in the grading room are not the same folks working in the slabbing room. The people printing the labels did not grade the book, so label errors do not necessarily reflect upon the graders not properly identifying issues and prints.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
No one here has anything on their nose. That is a silly statement, many of us have been very critical of CBCS at appropriate times. This isn't one of those times, they offered to fix their mistakes. I'd like to also point out that the folks working in the grading room are not the same folks working in the slabbing room. The people printing the labels did not grade the book, so label errors do not necessarily reflect upon the graders not properly identifying issues and prints.
Darth I thought about the comment I made and decided to change it. If you don't give plants the light they will shrivel up.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600840 125 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?